Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They say most productive but I think they really mean the most output. There is no productivity measures in the article such as output per employee etc. Typical mass media confusing things as usual.

The real point of the article is that Tesla made 8550 cars per week in Fremont. Toyota did 8427 per week in Georgetown Kentucky. My guess is Tesla has a lot more employees in Fremont than Toyota in Kentucky with all the vertical integration at Tesla. Always difficult to compare apples to apples and when you throw in the differences with electric cars even harder to compare.

I disagree because Tesla is far more automated than is Toyota. In fact we do not have enough information on which to base productivity per employee in Tesla's case, because of the number of people employed in research and development, which si not broken out.

In raw terms it appears Tesla has >10,000 employees at Fremont and Toyota has ~9,000 employees at Georgetown.
We also need to note that Toyota calls Georgetown and 'assembly' plant and Fremont is definitely manufacturing plus R&D plus vehicle delivery.

We will all probably agree that the actual factory efficiency of Fremont is superior to that of Georgetown, but we need more data to prove that.

I rarely use margin but I gotta think we’re near the bottom. Leveraged just a bit to get a few shares at $876.
Me too, I just bought shares at $862 with margin. I might just sell them in the near term if we go high to clear my margin, OR I might hang on for over a year and sell enough to cover the margin while keeping the remainder. Either way I'm confident long term this will be a profitable move, today's price a few days before a record earnings report is ludicrous to me!

Harumph harumph harumph

62h6pk.jpg

IMO a rate hike here would be a mistake. Stick to the hawkish rhetoric and plan of shrinking balance sheet and three rate hikes this year. Market has gotten the message. Economy already looking sick. Stimulus drying up. Fed needs to acknowledge speed at which things go bad in today’s hyper connected world. Feedbacks loops are a helluva drug.

I disagree because Tesla is far more automated than is Toyota. In fact we do not have enough information on which to base productivity per employee in Tesla's case, because of the number of people employed in research and development, which si not broken out.

In raw terms it appears Tesla has >10,000 employees at Fremont and Toyota has ~9,000 employees at Georgetown.
We also need to note that Toyota calls Georgetown and 'assembly' plant and Fremont is definitely manufacturing plus R&D plus vehicle delivery.

We will all probably agree that the actual factory efficiency of Fremont is superior to that of Georgetown, but we need more data to prove that.
It'll be interesting when anyone does stats on FTEs per vehicle between legacy Fremont and optimized Shanghai (and after ramp, Austin and Berlin). Of course, financially-speaking, 1 US FTE != 1 China FTE, so labour cost per vehicle is a different metric (I guess without a union, we don't actually know what the average cost per FTE is at each location, eh?).

Anybody out there done the math? How does Tesla compare? Wait - that's tricky since Tesla insources so much compared to a typical ICE OEM. The outsourced FTEs of an ICE probably equate to more than Tesla's FTE savings from robot automation...

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: jbcarioca
We get along well, @StealthP3D , but I think you owe @tivoboy an apology. Not about being right or wrong - we're all guessing, right? - but because you insulted him for even suggesting the SP was going a lot lower. Let's keep it friendly. A simple disagree is fine.

No, I didn't. Please review the facts.