Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There was a lot of expectation for the MSFT call today, especially their guidance. The entire tech sector recovered AH as soon as positive guidance was discussed in the call.
Looking like a better start to tech earnings season. Now I wonder if Tesla will raise guidance from 50%? or stay the course?

Reactions: saniflash
There are two ways to read our current macro situation, in my opinion:

1. Status Quo is Not Priced In / Market Holding its Breath for a U-Turn: Essentially, the market has not fully priced in a March rate increase, quantitative tightening beginning as early as June, and 3 rate hikes this year, and is only where it is because investors are holding out hope for a U-turn from the Fed tomorrow, backing off of the March rate increase. If we don't get that (which is extremely unlikely!), we head lower and are in a bear market for the next 3-6 months. This is the view espoused by Kevin Paffrath on Dave Lee's podcast the other day, and why he liquidated his portfolio.
  2. Status Quo is Priced In / Market Worried About "Shock and Awe": In this scenario, the market has priced in 3 rate hikes of .25 basis points and quantitative tightening beginning mid-to-later this year, and has dropped to where it has now because of concern with the possibility of an even more hawkish Fed that will give us more and/or bigger rate increases than already anticipated, and possibly quantitative tightening as soon as March. If the Fed stays the course and does not announce a more hawkish roadmap than what we've already been lead to anticipate, we'll get a relief rally as those fears dissipate.
I think we're in scenario two, and have placed my bets accordingly.

1. Status Quo is Not Priced In / Market Holding its Breath for a U-Turn: Essentially, the market has not fully priced in a March rate increase, quantitative tightening beginning as early as June, and 3 rate hikes this year, and is only where it is because investors are holding out hope for a U-turn from the Fed tomorrow, backing off of the March rate increase. If we don't get that (which is extremely unlikely!), we head lower and are in a bear market for the next 3-6 months. This is the view espoused by Kevin Paffrath on Dave Lee's podcast the other day, and why he liquidated his portfolio.
  2. Status Quo is Priced In / Market Worried About "Shock and Awe": In this scenario, the market has priced in 3 rate hikes of .25 basis points and quantitative tightening beginning mid-to-later this year, and has dropped to where it has now because of concern with the possibility of an even more hawkish Fed that will give us more and/or bigger rate increases than already anticipated, and possibly quantitative tightening as soon as March. If the Fed stays the course and does not announce a more hawkish roadmap than what we've already been lead to anticipate, we'll get a relief rally as those fears dissipate.
I don’t think the only macro risk priced in is apolitical.

I don't know of a single person or entity expecting anything close to a U-turn. Our possibilities appear to be the expected 3 cuts or worse.

I don’t think the only macro risk priced in is apolitical.

What do you mean? Of course this brings to mind the obvious pressures associated with Russia / Ukraine, which I totally left out. I think this has been suppressing dip buying / exacerbating drawdowns.

I don't know of a single person or entity expecting anything close to a U-turn. Our possibilities appear to be the expected 3 cuts or worse.

Agreed, which is why I think "Scenario 1" is not as compelling.

I think tsla should be going into earnings around 1200 and should leave around 1350, if it's as good as The Accountant estimates.

The current price is undervalued. As such, im not excited about a gap up to the 1100s. Better than 930, I suppose, but I see it as needing to congratulate Wall Street on pushing prices where desired.

Last edited:
What do you mean? Of course this brings to mind the obvious pressures associated with Russia / Ukraine, which I totally left out. I think this has been suppressing dip buying / exacerbating drawdowns.

Agreed, which is why I think "Scenario 1" is not as compelling.
My last post on that was deleted so I don't intend to repeat it. But feel free to PM me for my opinion on the matter :)

But lets just say, the macro situation could involve more than one dumpster fire.