Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"We are going into Tesla earnings with a lot of bearish momentum. So I wouldn't be surprised if earnings close this gap at 843 no matter how earnings goes ". This was from 2 days ago...for those into tea leaf readings.

I keep hoping this is full of donkey poop because I was waiting for a trip to 1400 so I can sell some calls but this TA crap is in the way.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Elon wading into a very politically sensitive topic:

1643313999213.png

Background: Freedom Convoy plans to gridlock Ottawa until all vaccine mandates repealed

If only that was true. EV in his definition includes hybrids. This allows legacy auto to make ICE cars for the forseeable future and slows the transition away from fossil fuels. Ford and GM will make just as many BEVs as they need to to meet legal requirements (no fines).

GM gave up on hybrids when they discontinued the Volt (and the Malibu Hybrid - which was a "self-charging" hybrid based on the Voltec drivetrain.) So Mary doesn't have that escape hatch anymore.

Perhaps, but Elon has said that he tries to be very literal so people don't need to read between the lines. I have no doubt that they're going all in, but that doesn't mean it's guaranteed to succeed. In any case Dojo's advantage over GPU at this point does not seem to be a sure thing - because Elon literally said that.

I find it unlikely that the margin of a $25k car will produce the same margins as a $60k MY, especially when margins for MY are even better than M3. Are you saying that a $25k model can use fewer than half the chips (especially the supply constrained ones), while having less than half the production cost as a MY in the 2022 / 2023 timeframe?
No in 2022 yes in 2023, BUT nearly all will have higher margin options from LR, performance to color options and even FSD and subscriptions services too. We ought to remember that even for typical OEM entry level vehicles the majority have high margin options and the 'hot hatch' versions typically are around 1.5X the base ones prior to other adds. It is all of that which will help produce those high margins.

Without a doubt it was left ambiguous yesterday what and when would be coming. I have been discussing the post-chip shortage era.