Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To be fair, FSD and Tesla Bot are two extremely lucrative aspects of Tesla's future business, not to mention how much they will both improve the world. Elon has a reason to love robots. :cool:

Robotics will be the largest industry in the world someday. There is literally no ceiling to how big it could grow. Elon will probably personally ship millions of them to Mars.

I’m glad my prediction of a humanoid robot for AI day turned out to be true.

I'm shocked that Tesla hasn't built their own FAB yet, or just purchased a semiconductor maker. Maybe the new Samsung FAB near Austin will help, but I think its time to deploy some M&A dry powder!
I think it takes too long to get one up and running. And Elon did make a comment on the call something along the lines of "you wouldn't believe how many fabs were under construction". Which is probably why they think chip supply won't be an issue by next year.

So if they started building one now, it wouldn't be done before the supply crisis was over. i.e. not a good use of capital.

I usually post this after P&D report but forgot, so here it is. (Courtesy of Statista). Its a great way of visualising the increasing quarterly deliveries year by year of a fast growing company that is smack bang in the middle of it's growth phase. (They'll need to increase the scale next year).

Also helps to explain today's 10% price drop...

1643314569104.png

1643314740763.png

Attachments

• 1643314140864.png
    1643314140864.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 1643314510847.png
    1643314510847.png
    27.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 1643314658626.png
    1643314658626.png
    22.3 KB · Views: 41
Ford and GM are just trying to get the taxpayer to foot the bill for their EV transitions.

I bet Tesla will make more profit than both of them put together this year.
How much do you think it will cost the tax payer if Ford and GM are not succeeding in transitioning and go out of business ? How many people will be unemployed and if not led to transition, will be left on their own to figure this out. Think about this in macro economic terms, 'ford makes less profit' may be affecting sales tax revenue but the real cost is all those stranded employees needing help or failing hard.

The legacy supply chain will already suffer if it doesnt pivot along, the dealership model will have to reinvent itself or go out of business. Tesla demonstrated what that future can look like: direct sales only, mobile service teams augmenting service centers, bringing components in-house, making their own seats etc.

The point is to make the tax payer foot the lesser bill of transitioning to EV now instead of letting ford and gm build bigger meaner more wasteful gas guzzlers and spend their resources convincing Americans they need to drive those because they are not as replaceable by EV (yet) prolonging the wastefulness until collapse.

Do You See MY Problem?
Via Moneyball on Twitter, Tesla December production at Shanghai was 66,579.
That's an annual run rate of 801k.
View attachment 760925

My forecast for 2022 had Shanghai at 802k. So many upsides to my 2022 forecast I don't know where to start.

View attachment 760926
No question you're being conservative. However, we all know there are a host of serious potential headwinds, some of which are bound to happen.
Still, the positives are quite astounding despite the Elon pessimism and the strange, but maybe intentional digressions into the always soon-arriving FSD.
You have been so cautious on Austin and Berlin that we'll certainly exceed them. Zach raises margin pressures with new factories, true enough, but even that should be sunder by third quarter at the latest.

Anyway, sir, you have earning unconditional credit for your 2021 story! Congratulations!!!

If only that was true. EV in his definition includes hybrids. This allows legacy auto to make ICE cars for the forseeable future and slows the transition away from fossil fuels. Ford and GM will make just as many BEVs as they need to to meet legal requirements (no fines).
I am critical of that approach too. I get the idea of 'cant make enough batteries for all cars electric so lets put smaller batteries in plugin hybrids to get more cars on the road' while investing heavily into battery production for the future, but as you said the incentive system needs to not allow them to just do token hybrids and powerpoint bevs.

I think if every person that buys a new gas car finds themselves getting a free EV L2 charger installed in their garage to charge their small battery, their next vehicle will be BEV naturally.

Amazingly brutal day, but not just for TSLA (and my retirement), but everything EV company. LCID, XPEV, RIVN all down even more than TSLA.

I try to keep it in perspective. My goal is to not to outlive my money. I can still retire this year, I just need to die a few years earlier.

No kidding!

I try to put on a hedge to the downside. When the market goes up 0.5% or so I sell SPY futures contracts (~20% hedge). The market is so volatile I buy them back for a 1% profit before lunch.

Reactions: CHGolferJim