Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We do all seem to be ignoring the standard market behavior for anything. "buy the rumor, sell the news."

The bump we should have gotten on the rumor (pre-report) was pushed down due to overall market macros being pushed down. But while the news was good, it was expected to be about that good. We didn't get anything drastically better than expectations. So none of us should be surprised by the drop on the news. That doesn't make it bad news -- its very very good news. Its just approximately what was expected.

Starting next week now that the analysts have had a chance to digest the data, we should see a slow and steady (but bouncy, since its Tesla) rise to where the price should be.

I think other automakers aren't standing still. The other day Hyunda said they'll release a £20,000 250 mile range car in 2025. I think battery costs have come down for all auto-makers. Kia/Hyundai released a £33,000 Kia ENiro that equalled-exceeded Tesla's Model 3 range with a super-efficient 4m/kWh and a 65kWh pack for a 300 mile range. Meanwhile the Model Y is NOT out in the UK yet and due to come in at £50k. The Chinese will have their own brands. I think Tesla might be able to hold dominance over others in the same way Apple holds dominance over Android phones. Costs 50% more - but people loyal to Tesla will buy Tesla for the "perceived" better product. The supercharger network is a big benefit. I can go 15-50% in my Model 3 SR+ in about 12 minutes - and that's fantastic for getting back on the road quickly at a location.

Every legacy automaker says this sort of silliness, and it’s getting stale.

“We will be the leader in EV by 2030.”
“We will have 15 EVs by 2030.”
“We will sell this or that by some fairly remote date.”

This is precisely what Elon and friends were talking about on the call. It was truly under appreciated, in my opinion. Ideas and idyllic statements are a dime a dozen, and they’re incredibly easy to make/do. Truly executing on an idea and bringing it to mass production is what’s hard. These companies know that no one will hold them to half of what they say, so they continue to blurt out every half baked idea they have without actually determining how likely it is.

Tesla has all aspects of its business integrated within the factories. From corporate to engineering to R&D to actual plant workers. It allows them to identify problems and new ideas they can actually execute on a wide scale. This sounds stupidly obvious, but it’s a departure from most large and even smaller companies.

Every legacy automaker says this sort of silliness, and it’s getting stale.

“We will be the leader in EV by 2030.”
“We will have 15 EVs by 2030.”
“We will sell this or that by some fairly remote date.”

This is precisely what Elon and friends were talking about on the call. It was truly under appreciated, in my opinion. Ideas and idyllic statements are a dime a dozen, and they’re incredibly easy to make/do. Truly executing on an idea and bringing it to mass production is what’s hard. These companies know that no one will hold them to half of what they say, so they continue to blurt out every half baked idea they have without actually determining how likely it is.

Tesla has all aspects of its business integrated within the factories. From corporate to engineering to R&D to actual plant workers. It allows them to identify problems and new ideas they can actually execute on a wide scale. This sounds stupidly obvious, but it’s a departure from most large and even smaller companies.
The fact Kia ENiro came out in the UK at £33k makes me think they can deliver a cheaper EV in the future. And the ENiro is a great EV. The Youtubers here all loved it. UK EVMAN considered it strongly - but didn't bite because of the Supercharger network. That the other youtuber MrEV bought one. They're real - and I trust them to deliver. AC and heated seats - so wasn't some crappy interior either. Also 7 year "everything" warranty.

Borrowing to buy stocks? Maybe I'm the exception, but I beg to differ!

Borrowing to invest at low rates, 2%-4% or so within affordability for servicing that debt from ongoing income without compromising your lifestyle, and whilst understanding the risk of loss and need for a long time frame on the investment can often pay off very handsomely.

I see it as no different to buying a house, if you wait whilst saving to buy it outright, you'll never get to own one as prices continue to increase, same with TSLA stock. ;)
Borrowing on margin is far different than borrowing for a house.

As long as you make payments the bank cannot force you to either pay off the mortgage or have your home repossessed, just because the value of your home dropped.

Your financial institution can take your stock if the share price drops. They can also unilaterally change the margin requirements and tell you to either pay up or have your shares sold. In fact several people reported TD Ameritrade just raised margin requirements from 40% to 60% on 100% Tesla portfolios.

Last edited:
Yup, hedgies 'hunting the stops' at $800 which trigger a sell-off at 09:48 ET.

Some Retail r so gullibull: SP recovered $10 in 3 min... :p

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2022-01-28.09-48.png

Cheers to the longs!

The fact Kia ENiro came out in the UK, that the Youtubers in the UK EVMAN considered it strongly - but didn't bite because of the Supercharger network. That the other youtuber MrEV bought one. They're real - and I trust them to deliver. Everyone also said how good the Kia ENiro was too. And it's a hatchback. AC and heated seats - so wasn't some crappy interior either. Also 7 year "everything" warranty.

And so what if they do "deliver"? They aren't producing at the scale of Tesla, they aren't growing at the rate of Tesla. They don't enjoy the margins of Tesla. And the EV portion of the market is growing all the time. It's not a zero sum game, meaning the (currently limited) success of others is not detrimental to Tesla. Just as Apple is not negatively affected by others selling smartphones.