Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's nice to be recognized by the CEO of Ford that Tesla has no rivals 👑. That article actually has a lot of good info in it but I'm sure we here have heard them all previously so nothing really groundbreaking:

"Now no one is better at producing electric vehicles in volume than Tesla, and it’s the traditional automakers who are trying to catch up....Tesla was able to grow significantly while most automakers struggled. GM delivered only a couple of BEVs last quarter while Ford just had to shut down production lines for its Mustang Mach E, its only consumer all-electric vehicle right now, due to supply chain issues."

"The CEO says that if Ford was able to produce as many F-150 Lightning pickups as Tesla is producing Model Ys, it would be able to sell as many. This is in contrast to a few years ago when legacy automakers didn’t believe in demand for electric vehicles and didn’t think that the issue would actually be the ability to manufacture them in high enough volume."

".....I still think that Ford is wrong in aiming for a 40% BEV mix in 2030. I think the company will have a hard time finding people to buy the other 60% of its vehicles."
That third quote is not from FORD's CEO but is (holds nose) actually an "Electrek's take".

Since 2021, companies have announced investments totaling more than $200 billion in domestic manufacturing here in America. From iconic companies like GM and Ford, building out new electric vehicle production [facilities], to Tesla, our nation’s largest electric vehicle manufacturer, to innovative, younger companies like Rivian, building electric trucks, or ProTerra, building electric buses
After previously meeting with the "Big Three" and extolling their virtues this gives me pause. Ok, the acknowledgement has been made, but why?

1. He tried the carrot and is now using the stick in order to increase the "Big Three's" commitment to EV production?

2. Setting the stage for a bailout handout by showing the public that all of the EV makers could be "just like Tesla" if they had billions of funding too.

After previously meeting with the "Big Three" and extolling their virtues this gives me pause. Ok, the acknowledgement has been made, but why?

1. He tried the carrot and is now using the stick in order to increase the "Big Three's" commitment to EV production?

2. Setting the stage for a bailout handout by showing the public that all of the EV makers could be "just like Tesla" if they had billions of funding too.

Or simply the silence was too deafening and the number of people noticing was growing larger. Politically impossible to ignore so try to placate the disgruntled and then BAU.

16F0D9E9-3CEE-4173-8712-B561370B2558.gif

Seriously. Just give the funds to Tesla and let them build it out even more....It's already there, no need to recreate the wheel.
Tesla doesn't need any funds -- they're growing as fast as they can and have plenty of cash buffer. But they can't do it alone -- we need at least ONE other American car company to survive and at least pretend to compete against Tesla if we're not going to lose the whole industry.

Having spent years as an inspector in West Los Angeles, I learned several irrefutable truths:

1. U.S. Presidents visit West LA frequently, Obama and Trump as well. I know because of the impact on traffic caused by their visits.

2. The rich and famous of Beverly Hills, Bel Air, and surrounding neighborhoods routinely hold political fund raisers. Again, the traffic directly affected my work.

3. West LA is a hotbed of Tesla investment. My only complaint related to Tesla: in West LA they are common.

Unmistakably, the United Auto Workers have generous contributed to the campaign coffers of Joe Biden — So have the rich and famous of West LA.

Captain Obvious

Since 2021, companies have announced investments totaling more than $200 billion in domestic manufacturing here in America. From iconic companies like GM and Ford, building out new electric vehicle production [facilities], to Tesla, our nation’s largest electric vehicle manufacturer, to innovative, younger companies like Rivian, building electric trucks, or ProTerra, building electric buses
I´d say Tesla is both more iconic than GM and Ford and more innovative than Rivian, but hey, you can´t have everything I guess 😜

What are folks thoughts on buying LEAP call spreads as leverage? A while back I took some advice here and paid $35 for a $1000/$1300 spread for June 2023, that's basically cash now IMO. That same spread today is ~$65 and obviously pays out $300 if fully ITM come June 2023.

If we don't pop to $940 tomorrow I'm selling some shares to lever up and roll/widen some BPS. Any non-obvious reason I should steer clear of spreads and stick to near the money LEAPs?