Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am not sure if anyone knows the answer to that question but my guess is that exports are counted when the ship has departed the dock and final paperwork is in-hand with Tesla.

Here are my estimates for Q1 2022; it has been updated for the 59,845 local/exports in January (I originally had 60,000).
Hopefully we see 204k in both production and local/export deliveries/shipments. Some would say I am being conservative.
The Q1 204k is a nice jump from Q4 of 178k.

View attachment 768850
One thing I saw pointed out as well @The Accountant on twitter is that Tesla did the same number of exports as Oct with fewer ships. Meaning they're packing more cars on each ship like you mentioned. This could have material impact on logistics cost since they're being more efficient. I would have to assume it's decently cheaper to pack fewer ships with more Teslas (or Tesla have the entire ships to themselves) than having to use 30% more ships export the same number of cars.

Wouldn't know where to really start to estimate those logistic costs savings but I 'll be interested to see if there's a material impact on Q1's earnings.

Having built a factory in France, I’m going with France is worse. ;-)
Indeed. We built an IG process and had various governmental agencies competing to see who could regulate us, we are still not sure how they even knew we were there but once they started knocking it was terrible. We actually closed it down and moved data back to the UK. In our work everything moved according to court issued schedules but working in France made that impossible. We worked in UK, Belgium, Germany with no issues, Switzerland we had issues but that's a different ball of wax.

Not good: An ID.3 started to burn spontanuously (i.e. not while charging) in a parking garage in Brussels: ‘Garages zijn niet voorzien op brand elektrische auto’s’
It’s the third one in half a year in Europe. An ID4 also started to burn in the same period In Oslo.
The newspaper thinks it’s necessary to remind us that a Tesla started burning while supercharging in Antwerp in 2019.
The narrative in the press has changed now that their advertisers also sell EVs: the fire department had the fire under control quickly, and maybe our parking garages should be adapted to be more fire proof.

…It's taken a massive macro correction, flubbed / badly misinterpreted earnings call, threat of a regional European war, and a barrage of FUD just to push TSLA down into the $800s at this point, and even now the stock is clearly looking to move up. …
Market is probably grateful that Tesla didn’t run a Super Bowl commercial.

For reference purposes, I'm French ;)
Touche! I love almost everything about France in terms of travel, food, and the culture around food. As a foodie...that means a lot. OTOH I did not enjoy trying to get a team going in France. We finally gave up and moved the process to UK and Belgium. In about 3 years we plan to tour the white oak forest of France to see how these forest are managed for barrel staves.

I'm used to visiting clients in Shenyang and Dalian (as well a few other places in China) on my travels.

The Shenyang rumours seem to be particularly focussed towards Shenyang (the city), rather than Liaoning (the province) or Dalian (the other big city). It would make sense to pick Shenyang if one were to go to Lianong, as Shenyang already has a suitable workforce and another big auto employer (BMW Brilliance). The whole area of Shenyang-Dalian-Liaoning is deservedly called China's rustbelt and as a result there is something of a push to encourage big business to locate big employment up there. The Party is more culturally dominant up North in places like Liaoning than down South in places like Shanghai.

This rumour is very Shenyang specific

As is this rumour

However Tesla China is already in partial denial mode

Food is yummy in Shenyang. I've had one of my best meals in China in a restaurant just like the one in the homage a Shenyang video, cheap, quick, and fantastic.
Great now all I'm thinking about are hairy crab dumplings. :)

Reactions: petit_bateau
Quiet on here today. Have you all had to take up working for a living again?
It's now Valentine's Day and yesterday was Super Bowl, so expect performance issues all around today. Naps will be in high demand (maybe already started on East Coast). Meanwhile, fully rested here and ready to talk French!

….

The Bolt was entirely designed in Korea. The project was joint between LG and GM Korea. Since there was extensive ‘cross pollination’ with the team the specific responsibilities allegedly became somewhat ambiguous. This has been analyzed by several entities. Nearly all direct costs of the fleet recall, battery replacement and BMS/controls upgrades was paid by LG. That implies the relative roles. They all have worked hard to keep details mostly undisclosed.

My personal, view based on work in Korea during the Daewoo acquisition by GM, is that GM Korea did styling and BIW while LG did everything else. GM Korea designs are all deeply dependent on tier one suppliers.

That settlement pretty much does tell the story. That GM sticks with LG afterwards is informative.

My entire point was that the costs of a recall such as this run deep and wide. There is no way the costs of the recall don't impact GM economically and the lack of transparency here stymies independent analysis to the degree that leaves it worthless (or worse). GM has carefully managed the messaging coming out of this recall to create the impression it's all paid for by others but it's a false narrative. Any analysis you saw suggesting otherwise is probably contaminated by GM disinformation.

And the fact that GM has decided to stick with LG afterwards is not informative in the way you suggest. IMO, it's likely that GM is covering the true costs of this up by agreeing to a "recall tax" on LG battery purchases going forward in order to help LG pay for this. LG takes the brunt of the pain now in exchange for higher margins in the future. As usual, we don't know the whole story, but it will not surprise me to learn this is the straw that breaks the camel's back as GM goes under more suddenly than most could have imagined. Alternatively, the poor EV economics this kind of settlement could create for GM going forward could be used to beg for more government assistance in the effort to transition to EV's. It wouldn't be the first time GM leveraged their poor decisions to benefit from federal aid.

Last edited:
Not good: An ID.3 started to burn spontanuously (i.e. not while charging) in a parking garage in Brussels: ‘Garages zijn niet voorzien op brand elektrische auto’s’
It’s the third one in half a year in Europe. An ID4 also started to burn in the same period In Oslo.
The newspaper thinks it’s necessary to remind us that a Tesla started burning while supercharging in Antwerp in 2019.
The narrative in the press has changed now that their advertisers also sell EVs: the fire department had the fire under control quickly, and maybe our parking garages should be adapted to be more fire proof.
That's not going to work. Parking garages are filled with gas tanks now, and that will switch to more batteries in the future. Cars need to not catch on fire spontaneously in parking garages. Tesla is at that point now, with a million cars out there and 1 a year doing that. VW is at a rate 100x higher which is not acceptable.

It almost seems that if you have LG batteries in a car, you will have a problem sooner or later; Kona, Bolt, ID.3 & ID.4, Pacifica...

Still find it amusing that companies feel like it’s a good idea to increase association between Tesla, SpaceX, and the Mars mission.

Really… strikes me as dumb to point out that your competitor is literally the most successful rocket scientist on the planet. (Ok more a rocket engineer than scientist, but most of the public don’t get the difference).

Still find it amusing that companies feel like it’s a good idea to increase association between Tesla, SpaceX, and the Mars mission.

Really… strikes me as dumb to point out that your competitor is literally the most successful rocket scientist on the planet. (Ok more a rocket engineer than scientist, but most of the public don’t get the difference).
They're preaching to the "but we have hunger to solve on earth!" crowd.

yes. Two companies did that this Super Bowl and others have associated advanced cars and rocketry before in recent ads. This is really not smart For the competition to do. When starlink starts to adverties I am sure they will place Tesla cars In their ads too. Tesla will forever mean advanced and high tech.