Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably built in Fremont. Same as it’s always been.

edit: Technically the (online) sale is in California. Car is shipped to Texas. That’s legal.
Sales from Giga Austin will be different.

This is what I've been saying all along. The legal aspect is regarding the paperwork, NOT the physical car.

The purchase of a Tesla in Texas is a business process, and makes no difference where the actual vehicle is located.

The transaction of the paperwork for the sale has to originate outside the state, or, more specifically, a sales transaction cannot happen at a Tesla store in Texas. This has nothing to do with the physical car, only where the paperwork is handled.

For contrast, the dealerships (cartel members) in Texas will offer to process the registration on behalf of their customer, in fact, they are required by law to offer this service.

The buyer does not have to accept this "service" and the dealers often do get confused about it. They think the law says they must actually process the registration for the customer. This is a convenient misunderstanding on their part.

Trying to convince an ICE dealer to let you register your own vehicle at the courthouse throws a wrench in their works, but it can be done. I've done it. By doing so, the buyer can avoid the onerous fees for providing this so-called service which the dealer IS required by law to OFFER, but is not required to perform. The customer is not required by law to let them do it. This statute was written in such a way to allow this misdirection to be sewn into the fabric by the dealership cartel, netting them additional income.

Whenever one is registering any vehicle in Texas that has been purchased out of state, the owner will always have to handle the registration themselves. It seems most people have little experience with this concept, but that is how the registration works. You go to the courthouse, fill out the forms, pay the fee, take home the plates and they mail you a title. You can also do this online and have the plates mailed to you.

The laws are specifically about the process for the paperwork for the sale. The car can be sitting at the factory in Texas, or at the service center in Texas, or anywhere in Texas really.

As long as the original manufacturer's certificate of origin is assigned to, say, a company in Fremont for example, and then the vehicle is sold to someone in Texas by that out of state entity, Bob's your uncle.

Some people seem to think there is some elaborate network of state agents that will track every car coming out of GigaTexas to make sure the physical car left the state before being sold to a Texas resident. Do these people actually believe that there is both budget and staff allocated for enforcing any such foolishness? That would be absurd.

Last edited:
Lol, "some traffic outcomes with autonomy are horrific if not dystopian". AJ really should write for the Onion. Oh, wait... he's a regular guest on CNBC. :p

Cheers!
It was an interesting point he made. If transportation costs approach zero, people will just hang out in their connected, autonomous vehicles all day and be driven wherever. True vagabonds.

Lithium is everywhere, super common on this planet I hear, is a deal like this for 2024 that important?

Lithium is everywhere, super common on this planet I hear, is a deal like this for 2024 that important?

Yes - because it takes years to develop mines and processing facilities. Just as important- there can be a huge range in the cost of production per kg even in geologically similar deposits. So securing multi year supply at economical price is a good thing.

Market seems poise for a nice open tomorrow - attributed to some Ukraine descallation.
Considering this conflict is much closer to home in the EU than folks on this side of the world, I hope they are just giddy with relief, then go boost TSLA to the moon.

Cheers!

Tradegate Exchange (Berlin) | Tesla Inc.

816.90 Euro is 928.52 United States Dollars.

TL0.chart.2022-02-16.08-03.CET.png

Cheers!

Last edited:
816.90 Euro is 928.52 United States Dollars.

View attachment 769654

Cheers!
Nice! I raised my sell price on that 700 2/18 Call. Figured we were already at Max Pain today so might not wander too far off. Plus the 950 calls were perking up some volume today. Then news of 4680s etc... HODL is still the plan. Gut says SP hits 1,000 by next week.

This is what I've been saying all along. The legal aspect is regarding the paperwork, NOT the physical car.

The purchase of a Tesla in Texas is a business process, and makes no difference where the actual vehicle is located.

The transaction of the paperwork for the sale has to originate outside the state, or, more specifically, a sales transaction cannot happen at a Tesla store in Texas. This has nothing to do with the physical car, only where the paperwork is handled.
The laws are specifically about the process for the paperwork for the sale. The car can be sitting at the factory in Texas, or at the service center in Texas, or anywhere in Texas really.

As long as the original manufacturer's certificate of origin is assigned to, say, a company in Fremont for example, and then the vehicle is sold to someone in Texas by that out of state entity, Bob's your uncle.
Some people seem to think there is some elaborate network of state agents that will track every car coming out of GigaTexas to make sure the physical car left the state before being sold to a Texas resident. Do these people actually believe that there is both budget and staff allocated for enforcing any such foolishness? That would be absurd.

Your first two comments seem to directly contradict your third comment. Either the law regulates the location of the car at the time of sale, or it doesn't. Your first two comments claim the law doesn't regulate the location of the car at the time of sale. But your third comment implies the law regulates the location, but no one enforces it due to budgetary and staffing constraints. Well, which is it? My understanding is the physical location of the car must be outside of the state at the time of the sale.

Either way it's not a huge deal because Texans make up a small percentage of all Tesla customers and shipping cars over state lines before the sale is a shorter trip than shipping them from Fremont. I don't think it will come to that kind of silliness but even the worst case scenario isn't that bad.

Last edited:
The funny thing is that all these reports are very late. I don't like the Unicorn but he went short again back in December and if he has already closed the position or will soon then he has made some nice money. Maybe not nearly enough to make up for his previous losses but still.
Unless he got margin called on Jan 3rd 🤣

CNBC released an FSD video with noted troll and trust fund kid Taylor Ogan.

Just one example of his bias - at 7:35 he claims the car slams on the brakes. I checked the speed on the screen.

It dropped from 13 mph to 9 mph. :rolleyes:

Yes and they use the oldest version of fsd beta Tesla need to disabled all drivers with olders versions because some make bad press like this one.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
I plead guilty to not watching "hundreds of YouTube videos" in what would certainly be a futile attempt to understand the vagaries of the market. I am not a "trader." My real investments are safe mutual funds that give me a more than comfortable retirement. I bought a few shares of TSLA after I bought my Roadster in 2011 because I liked the car and wanted to be a part of the company. I never intended to sell any of them and I never expected them to be worth what they are. I'd have been as happy as a clam if they'd stayed around $100 pre-split. I'd have felt like I made a good "investment" but they wouldn't be worth enough to bother thinking of all that money sitting on the table. The shares I sold repaid my entire investment in TSLA and SCTY about sixteen-fold, and still left me with so many shares that I'm sitting on a scary amount of unrealized gain.

I'm an old man. If I never sell the shares I'll never get more benefit out of them than what I got for the shares I sold. I actually think selling them was a good move: If the company goes bankrupt tomorrow I made sixteen times my investment. And I still have plenty of shares.

Tesla makes the best cars in the world. I think the company is going to succeed. But I also know that the market is fickle. When you're young you invest for growth. When you're old you invest for income. I'm old and TSLA pays no income. I just wish I had the strength of character to stop looking at the stock price because for the near term, I'm not going to sell and I'm not going to buy any more. I'm not HODLing, but I'm holding for now.
Interesting take.

Thank you for the added insights, but this part leaves me speechless TBH:

"My real investments are safe mutual funds . . . ".

The reality is that "safe mutual funds" are anything but in a disruptive environment as we face a serious, potentially catastrophic, climate disaster.

Please allow me to list two reasons:

1. Mutual funds nearly always invest for one specific goal: maximize returns. Thus, this often leads them to invest in companies that destroy the environment and place our planet in greater peril (such as fossil fuel companies), because doing so can be quite profitable, at least in the short term. (Oh, the planet's destroyed years later? Bummer, eh.) By owning shares in those mutual funds, you actively increase the risk to our planet, and all life on it.

2. Contrary to what you may believe, diversification is, frankly, unwise, and if often a hallmark of the less-well informed investor. Please watch this video for details:

While a "retirement mindset" may allow you to continue with investment choices made years ago, I urgently request that you and ALL on this thread do a complete scrub of their investments to purge their holdings of companies that increase the risk to our planet's future. All of them need to go.

Divest, now, please.

Let's leave a better legacy for all those that follow as our current one is a course towards disaster (positive feedback loops can ruin a planet).

This quote applies to stocks and investments as well:

“Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want.”​

― Anna Lappe