Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever one is registering any vehicle in Texas that has been purchased out of state, the owner will always have to handle the registration themselves. It seems most people have little experience with this concept, but that is how the registration works. You go to the courthouse, fill out the forms, pay the fee, take home the plates and they mail you a title. You can also do this online and have the plates mailed to you.
The county tax office, not the courthouse.

Adaptive headlights are now legal in the US. Tesla could enable the matrix LED headlights OTA before the rest of the industry figure out what to do next.
Matrix LED headlights are not Tesla specific. Hella supplies them to Tesla as well as to Audi for example.
Several manufacturers mentioned here for example: Matrix LED Headlights: Redefine Adaptive Front-lighting With Smart High Beam Technology

That said, IIRC the Tesla version has a new LED array from Samsung with a higher resolution than available before.

Your first two comments seem to directly contradict your third comment. Either the law regulates the location of the car at the time of sale, or it doesn't. Your first two comments claim the law doesn't regulate the location of the car at the time of sale. But your third comment implies the law regulates the location, but no one enforces it due to budgetary and staffing constraints. Well, which is it? My understanding is the physical location of the car must be outside of the state at the time of the sale.

Either way it's not a huge deal because Texans make up a small percentage of all Tesla customers and shipping cars over state lines before the sale is a shorter trip than shipping them from Fremont. I don't think it will come to that kind of silliness but even the worst case scenario isn't that bad.
Re: the third. "Some people" are not me. No contradiction, simply observation.

The funding of enforcement is an aspect of many obscure and illogical laws on the books that seldom receives adequate scrutiny. Generally speaking, people tend to jump to conclusions about laws. As in the dealership example. A casual read of the law that requires the dealer to "offer" a service is usually misinterpreted to imply the law requires them to process the registration.

The third is the FUD story being propagated which, even if the law were there, would have no teeth without a budget for manpower to enforce it.

The point being made is how statutes regarding the conducting of business most often define rules about how to process the paperwork.

Weasel words fill the statutes. Legal definitions are used to imply things which common definitions would make mandatory, but due to a legal definition are actually optional.

i.e. The word "shall" in a statute can mean "may" if its use in law would impair a constitutionally reserved right. Look it up in a legal dictionary. Examples of this sort of thing abound within the statutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Drax7

Lithium is everywhere, super common on this planet I hear, is a deal like this for 2024 that important?
Yes because essentially all the Lithium ends up getting refined in China. LG recognized the risk a few years ago and moved to try to lock up the supply chain for their needs. Tesla is slowly trying to do the same. That's why the deals for nickl in Caledonia and graphite from SE Africa (can't remember if it is was Mozambique or?) with another Australian company.

The funny thing is that all these reports are very late. I don't like the Unicorn but he went short again back in December and if he has already closed the position or will soon then he has made some nice money. Maybe not nearly enough to make up for his previous losses but still.
Our prior experience shows that these guys rarely seem to close their shorts when they should. Buying puts at 1200 and closing them at 900 would have been brilliant, but that dumb dumb probably added or held thinking it would go to $400.

Interesting take.

Thank you for the added insights, but this part leaves me speechless TBH:

"My real investments are safe mutual funds . . . ".

The reality is that "safe mutual funds" are anything but in a disruptive environment as we face a serious, potentially catastrophic, climate disaster.

Please allow me to list two reasons:

1. Mutual funds nearly always invest for one specific goal: maximize returns. Thus, this often leads them to invest in companies that destroy the environment and place our planet in greater peril (such as fossil fuel companies), because doing so can be quite profitable, at least in the short term. (Oh, the planet's destroyed years later? Bummer, eh.) By owning shares in those mutual funds, you actively increase the risk to our planet, and all life on it.

2. Contrary to what you may believe, diversification is, frankly, unwise, and if often a hallmark of the less-well informed investor. Please watch this video for details:

While a "retirement mindset" may allow you to continue with investment choices made years ago, I urgently request that you and ALL on this thread do a complete scrub of their investments to purge their holdings of companies that increase the risk to our planet's future. All of them need to go.

Divest, now, please.

Let's leave a better legacy for all those that follow as our current one is a course towards disaster (positive feedback loops can ruin a planet).

This quote applies to stocks and investments as well:

“Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want.”​

― Anna Lappe

You raise two separate issues: Diversification and divestment.

The opposite of diversification is all the eggs in one (or a few) baskets. I didn't watch the video but I'll note that Warren Buffet won his million-dollar bet by buying Vanguard's Whole-Market Index fund. Also, "investing for income" involves weighting heavily toward bonds. They don't grow for the future, but they provide a steady, reliable income. Picking individual stocks is a highly risky business. Mutual funds keep that risk much lower, and indexed funds keep both the risk and the cost at a minimum.

I totally agree with you on divestment. However I am too cynical to put my retirement income at risk by trying to manage my own portfolio in individual issues. And I would not trust any investment manager to do it for me. (I do have an investment advisor who advises me on mutual funds, mostly bond funds, widely diversified.) There are some funds that claim to be "socially responsible," but frankly I am not going to over-weight myself in any of them. And honestly, if I were not so hypocritical about my principles, I would divest myself of TSLA for Musk's abysmal treatment of employees and his anti-union stance. Once upon a time I would not have touched an anti-union company. But my cynicism has won out and I bought my Roadster and then my Model 3 in spite of my principles, because I wanted an electric car so badly, and for all Musk's horrid actions, he makes the best cars on the road. It's hard to find a "good" company. Amazon, for example, has superb customer service and fast delivery, but treats its employees like dog doo. In the end, if you're concerned about the environment (which I am) and the rights of workers (which I am) there's no company you can support with your purchases or your investment.

So I drive my electric car, and run my home and my car on solar, and pay people who do work for me (my landscaper and my house cleaners, etc.) a fair wage, which is about 50% more than they ask, but I'm not going to risk my income by attempting to manage my portfolio in individual issues.

Sorry for the long-winded reply.

tl:dr: Managing a portfolio in individual issues is highly risky if you know what you're doing, and foolish if you don't. Divestment is the moral choice, but in this economy, no company would meet even minimal standards.

I'm an old man. If I never sell the shares I'll never get more benefit out of them than what I got for the shares I sold. I actually think selling them was a good move: If the company goes bankrupt tomorrow I made sixteen times my investment. And I still have plenty of shares.

I can totally relate to this. I'm in my mid-fifties and live in Scandinavia. So unlike some of you I don't need a big nest egg for potential healthcare at old age. With no dependents I figure that if I'm still alive when I'm 80 I will get by fine on my regular pension. Figuring as by that age I'll likely be spending a lot less.

So I plan to have little savings when I'm around 80. That gives me 25 years or so to spend any 'wealth' I have in a fun and/or interesting way. Live in a nicer place, eat nicer, travel more, spend more at my girlfriend etc etc

But, it also means that for every year that goes before I start some 'spending' I loose something like 4% (1/25) of my remaining life. I'm looking at that as 4% inflation. In reality it's much worse. Given the choice nobody would not want to have 25 times as much money with one year left to spend it. I rather have 1/25th as much per year for 25 years.

Frankly I see so many here older than me just going hold hold hold - I'll never sell any share. Seems utterly pointless to me.

This is why I want the shareprice to go up fast rather than slow and why I care when we go down. If we are at 25k or something in 25 years from now won't do me much good. I'll either be dead or unable to spend it.

Frankly I see so many here older than me just going hold hold hold - I'll never sell any share. Seems utterly pointless to me.
That’s easy to answer. People have kids and grandkids that they are thinking of. Or a cat. God forbid they have a dog, but it’s apparently a thing.

Then there are people who want to do something good with that money beyond their own selfishness.

So what’s utterly pointless to you, has a valid point for others. You’ve obviously forgotten you’re not alone on this planet.

Consumers' perception of Tesla as a luxury brand in the U.S. is increasing.

"Brand consideration" % increased from 15 to 18% since the last study (3 months prior?)

I think a lot of us yell HOLD right now because we see the future potential of Tesla financially. We are still in the early years for this company and it's valuation will climb MUCH higher than this over the next decade or so.

That said, there will come a time when I'll start selling some shares every year to enjoy my gains. Probably not until 2030 though. I'll likely do covered calls rather than sell outright but some of those calls will get assigned of course and I'll end up selling anyway, but that's okay. My shares of Tesla will very likely support me all the way until the day I die.

You raise two separate issues: Diversification and divestment.

The opposite of diversification is all the eggs in one (or a few) baskets. I didn't watch the video but I'll note that Warren Buffet won his million-dollar bet by buying Vanguard's Whole-Market Index fund. Also, "investing for income" involves weighting heavily toward bonds. They don't grow for the future, but they provide a steady, reliable income. Picking individual stocks is a highly risky business. Mutual funds keep that risk much lower, and indexed funds keep both the risk and the cost at a minimum.

I totally agree with you on divestment. However I am too cynical to put my retirement income at risk by trying to manage my own portfolio in individual issues. And I would not trust any investment manager to do it for me. (I do have an investment advisor who advises me on mutual funds, mostly bond funds, widely diversified.) There are some funds that claim to be "socially responsible," but frankly I am not going to over-weight myself in any of them. And honestly, if I were not so hypocritical about my principles, I would divest myself of TSLA for Musk's abysmal treatment of employees and his anti-union stance. Once upon a time I would not have touched an anti-union company. But my cynicism has won out and I bought my Roadster and then my Model 3 in spite of my principles, because I wanted an electric car so badly, and for all Musk's horrid actions, he makes the best cars on the road. It's hard to find a "good" company. Amazon, for example, has superb customer service and fast delivery, but treats its employees like dog doo. In the end, if you're concerned about the environment (which I am) and the rights of workers (which I am) there's no company you can support with your purchases or your investment.

So I drive my electric car, and run my home and my car on solar, and pay people who do work for me (my landscaper and my house cleaners, etc.) a fair wage, which is about 50% more than they ask, but I'm not going to risk my income by attempting to manage my portfolio in individual issues.

Sorry for the long-winded reply.

tl:dr: Managing a portfolio in individual issues is highly risky if you know what you're doing, and foolish if you don't. Divestment is the moral choice, but in this economy, no company would meet even minimal standards.
Aren't the union companies the ones who treated their employees unfairly? - otherwise they would not have voted to unionize in the first place. Seems to me the non-union businesses must be treating their employees better so they don't unionize in the first place.

I've seen union workers be complete jerks to their employers and to their employer's customers too many times, and concluded long ago that the time for unions has long since passed, and as a practical matter, loudly pro-union political candidates for office are shooting themselves in the foot, to the degree I've stopped supporting them.

@daniel , it sounds like you've bought into much anti-Tesla FUD; do you have any proof about the latest round of accusations about Tesla treating employees poorly?

Last edited:
Interesting take.

Thank you for the added insights, but this part leaves me speechless TBH:

"My real investments are safe mutual funds . . . ".

The reality is that "safe mutual funds" are anything but in a disruptive environment as we face a serious, potentially catastrophic, climate disaster.

Please allow me to list two reasons:

1. Mutual funds nearly always invest for one specific goal: maximize returns. Thus, this often leads them to invest in companies that destroy the environment and place our planet in greater peril (such as fossil fuel companies), because doing so can be quite profitable, at least in the short term. (Oh, the planet's destroyed years later? Bummer, eh.) By owning shares in those mutual funds, you actively increase the risk to our planet, and all life on it.

2. Contrary to what you may believe, diversification is, frankly, unwise, and if often a hallmark of the less-well informed investor. Please watch this video for details:
While appreciating your enthusiasm you misunderstand the mutual fund industry:
1. They exist to generate profit for the sponsors. Those profits come from management fees, disclosed, and transaction fees (often not disclosed) as well as other administrative charges (depending on the category these can be origination fees, administration and documentation fees. Further there are 'loads' that are front end purchase and or disposal charges. Never is the objective fo a fund to benefit the investor, although they are nearly always positioned that way.
2. You completely misunderstand diversification. It is used as a handy way to generate more income for fund managers and investment advisors, but well designed diversification is very effective as a strategy.

Nothing in these points constitutes advice to choose mutual funds, but one need not misrepresent them to establish their limitations.

Several fund categories are wise liquidity tools. Using them requires careful due diligence, just as equities do.

I can totally relate to this. I'm in my mid-fifties and live in Scandinavia. So unlike some of you I don't need a big nest egg for potential healthcare at old age. With no dependents I figure that if I'm still alive when I'm 80 I will get by fine on my regular pension. Figuring as by that age I'll likely be spending a lot less.

So I plan to have little savings when I'm around 80. That gives me 25 years or so to spend any 'wealth' I have in a fun and/or interesting way. Live in a nicer place, eat nicer, travel more, spend more at my girlfriend etc etc

But, it also means that for every year that goes before I start some 'spending' I loose something like 4% (1/25) of my remaining life. I'm looking at that as 4% inflation. In reality it's much worse. Given the choice nobody would not want to have 25 times as much money with one year left to spend it. I rather have 1/25th as much per year for 25 years.

This is why I want the shareprice to go up fast rather than slow and why I care when we go down. If we are at 25k or something in 25 years from now won't do me much good. I'll either be dead or unable to spend it.

Nearly everyone here would like to see SP rise sooner than later. However, I am always mindful that what I want has no bearing on what happens to the SP. Good investing takes time to play out, and at your age you have ample time to let it unfold.

I also account for years left, except I count active years left, which results in 12+% inflation. Even so, I don’t believe we’ll need to wait more than a year to see material improvement in SP even in the moderately pessimistic case, much less a decade.

I invested over half my assets on that 1 year premise, which is sadly less than half my assets now 😛. But my aggressive investments in the past 3 years have greatly outperformed my conservative ones even though they were always down near the beginning. I could be wrong, so I hold stock, too.

I might be a little off on the timeframe, but if the consensus here is not wildly far off, the SP gains will be well worth the wait for anyone who is not on their death bed.

Last edited:
I would divest myself of TSLA for Musk's abysmal treatment of employees
Examples please.

Asking for hard work and perhaps a work/life balance that many would find difficult...sure, but one knows that going in.

Making many of his worker's millionaires....that seems a nice problem to have.