Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
IANAL. But IMO, Elon has leverage over the SEC in any legal battle that may ensue due to actions or non-actions that stem from the 420 tweet and the terms of the settlement. Go back and think about what happened after the tweet: the SEC held a huge, televised press conference to announce the claims against Elon/Tesla. They claimed that his actions were so egregious that he should never again be allowed to be an officer of a public company. The tenor of the presentation was like they had captured Al Capone. They even had a list of 5 or 6 people from the SF office of the SEC that they congratulated for their heroic work to bring Elon to justice. Sounded like it was the end of Elon but, wait, within a few short days a settlement was announced. As we know, it was a payments of $20M each from Elon and Tesla, removal of Elon as COB and behavioral reins on Elon. Doesn't this seem like a huge win for Elon and Tesla, relative to the severity and enormity of Elon's actions, as portrayed by the SEC. I think there's a good chance that Elon has knowledge of one or more of those SEC "heroes" colluding with the shorts. I don't have a copy of the complaint against Elon/Tesla but, in reading or listening to it, it sounds exactly like it was written by the shorts. Don't forget, just about every conflict or battle Elon gets into, he crushes the opponent. There is no way he would take on the SEC unless he has an unbeatable hole card. JMO
I would ALMOST turn into a cat if this is true.

It's not directly TSLA related, but I think we could all use some positive news and it's great to see Elon getting good press.

Awwww, look at the SP. 😏

It is almost as if Elon might have peed in somebody's corn flakes and they are having a bit of a hissy.

Looking forward to the next chapter as this epic saga unfolds. 🍿🧐

P.S. For anyone who is worried, keep in mind how, as long as the fundamentals of Tesla are intact and on-track, the SP is immaterial.
The company is solid, HODL!

No one has a couch? Surely after The Super Bowl Party the couch has new coinage?
$795 SP when I started typing. $800 before I hit send.
( could have been "that guy" if I only had a penny left.)
Found some... why not.

1645629409282.png

James starts talking about this at the very beginning of this video for deeper details. James is great at explaining this stuff.

I wouldn't be surprised that a ton of energy has been going into merging the branches (i.e. 'single stack') in order to have the teams focused on one AI. Once complete, they should make much faster progress in one branch, one AI, it is a huge milestone.

It is that milestone that I'm excited about, above and beyond the advantages, as it will demonstrate that the single AI can be better than a human driver on the highway. This is profound as it is honestly, much easier by comparison to train AI for highway driving vs city/surface streets. Because, when that has been accomplished, the probability of their being a local maxima for city streets is most likely very small to achieving the same thing for city/surface streets.
Just a point on information; there has been several rewrites in the FSD’s history and everyone of them has been claimed to be The One.

I missed a chance to cash in some TSLA gains in the $900s, pay off my house. Unfortunately I think TSLA is headed to about the $600s. The market is flattening out this stock in anticipation of monetary tightening plus the easing of supply shortages across the auto industry, which will slow the rise in Tesla ASPs. I've been invested in TSLA for a long time, so I've seen this movie before. I'm not going to panic sell at lowball prices.

At least TSLA is holding up a lot better than the junk stocks in the rest of Cathie Woods' portfolio. Every cycle there's a new cohort of "superstar" "genius" fund managers who hit on some strategy that works for one cycle, and then never really works again. Eddie Lampert, David Einhorn, John Paulson, the list goes on and on, and now Cathie Wood.

A lawyer friend of mine with expertise in areas related to Elon’s latest court filings was able to weigh in on the allegations of a leak by the SEC. He thinks the whole thing is quite interesting and that the ranges of potential outcomes are wide. I’ll list the possible outcomes for the whole ordeal, not in a particularly logical order.

• If the evidence sent to the IG is weak, this might blow up in Elon’s face a bit.
  • The evidence will likely be viewed with strong skepticism by the IG. It’s being brought in an adversarial manner. Usually (I think) the IG is contacted by employees.
  • Musk and his attorney probably would not have contacted the IG if they didn’t have good evidence, but we can’t be sure.
  • Judge Nathan may be able to promote the IG investigation in a legal way I didn’t understand — but, again, it all falls on the quality of the evidence.
  • The “leak” and the source and impact of the “leak” could stir a reaction that ranges from “yeah the SEC did something wrong but it’s not THAT big of a deal” to “okay we need a few fundamental changes in SEC communications oversight.”
  • This could be the first domino to fall in a much bigger conspiracy.
I have no idea how to weight any of these possibilities, but I’ll stress again that it seems unlikely (from what I was told) that Spiro would send this stuff out without thinking it made sense, legally.

If any other lawyers here can weigh in, that would be helpful.
I also am not an attorney, but the SEC seems to have been pretty sloppy here. For instance, they made a representation to the court that was easily demonstrated as misleading at best: that the SEC issued a subpoena that was not part of the court case. But this is probably just a side issue. More ambiance than anything. And the whole string of letters is just a probing skirmish. But if the SEC is sloppy here, that could indicate sloppiness in other areas.

The best weapon at Musk's disposal is that the 420 tweet was 100% factual and the current stock price is multiples above $420 pre-split. So he's not really at risk if the agreement is torn up. And Tesla does not have the Sword of Damocles over its head with funding.

I wonder if David Misler is involved, the former SEC Trial Lawyer hired recently by Tesla. That can't make the SEC warm and fuzzy. David probably has names and dates, although probably not allow to make anything public. But in private, they could all be cooking up something really good. Possibly bad for the stock short-term, but I would welcome some truths revealed.
I had completely forgotten about that. A tantalizingly juicy detail!

And to think people here were being critical of Elon for hiring a former SEC attorney!