Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Those of us who’ve been around for awhile know this dance.

TSLA hit its ATH in Jun 2017 at 385 (pre-split). Almost 2 years later in May of 2019, TSLA had dropped to 185, over a 50% drop. We all know what happened next.

A 50% drop from our current ATH (~$1,240) would be around $620.

All this to say we’ve been here before, and it’s worked out OK.

6C0ED93C-B751-478A-B57E-5660505E011A.jpeg

Last edited:
Bottom feeders will arrive

Based on risk/reward stocks will start looking very attractive and even better than bonds

Even the shorts are smart enough to not keep shorting

These are times when big whales like Buffet go on feeding frenzy

Thoughts and prayers for everybody in harms way.

++ herd is waiting for the magic keyword- OVER SOLD;)

Last edited:
I know with gasoline already above $5/gallon here in California and it already headed straight up, the last few days my Tesla is becoming the popular choice of everyone in my house. I have to believe these oil prices are going to be the tipping point for many considering EVs,but on the proverbial fence. Which EV company is best suited to handle an increase in demand?
Frankly, I'm surprised that we haven't seen price increases already. I think large price increases are probably justified and it would help the stock.

Does anyone know a web site that tracks Tesla price history for different locales?

I realize you are enjoying wallowing in your current misery, but you are ignoring Telsa's guidance which was given less than 4 weeks ago: the company will COMFORTABLY increase production by more than 50% in 2022 even WITHOUT Austin or Berlin.

Yes, both Fremont and Shanghai are positioned to increase production substantially in 2022.

Again, Tesla 2022 production is chip-supply constrained. Opening new factories WILL NOT increase the supply of chips, nor the number of total cars that Tesla is able to build in 2022. The limiting factor is chip supply, not factories.

All that opening new factories can affect in 2022 is to trade gross margin (increased operating overhead) for a faster production ramp in 2023, once supply constraints begin to ease. I trust Tesla Management to make the best choice.

Cheers!
That's all true. Chips are key.

So where will Tesla get 50% more chips this year?

I assume that Tesla placed their chip orders far in advance. If we knew more about their chip orders we could easily figure out Tesla's real expectations for production this year. Of course, the wild card would be knowing how likely it is that the orders will actually filled.

Optimus will work in limited controlled environments, much less complex than FSD. Think repetitive factory work to start out.

Boston Dynamics has it pretty well figured out, Tesla just needs to add the brains.
Ummm. No Boston Dynamics does not have it pretty well figured out. There is still fundamental research on things like hands. Which will get us far off topic but there is fundamental research still waiting to be done. Then there is fundamental work on the physical components. Humanoid is years away. So to bring that back to investments...don't count on humanoid robots to drive revenue but it doesn't have to. Plenty of value in other ways.

Reactions: jkirkwood001
Those of us who’ve been around for awhile know this dance.

A 50% drop from our current ATH (~$1,240) would be around $620.

All this to say we’ve been here before, and it’s worked out OK.

BoJo: Europe must now free itself forever from oil and gas imported from the East.

Oh say, I know, how about, um, an ELECTRIC CAR FACTORY?!

Wasser für die Elefanten. Macht schnell.

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Feb 24, 2022 07:56 AM ET.

Consolidated Last Sale$697.28 -66.76 (-8.74%)
Pre-Market Volume1,800,326
Pre-Market High$743.15 (04:00:00 AM)
Pre-Market Low$691.62 (07:37:01 AM)

Do what you like with this info.
IMG_4771 (1).jpeg

So what's that clever options play that can help one avoid a forced sale of my precious TSLA shares due to excessive margin, all used to buy shares during all the great Sales we've had over the past several months?

Asking for a friend, of course . . . .
Sell covered calls?

View attachment 773232

In Jason Yang's latest video there is work going on outside the Model 3 factory, outside the stamping building and in the loading area. They are installing what look like building foundations in all areas. I wonder if this work has anything to do with a reshuffle of the Model 3 manufacturing process to squeeze more vehicles out of it.

1645708110492.png

1645707951870.png

1645707998458.png

That's all true. Chips are key.

So where will Tesla get 50% more chips this year?

I assume that Tesla placed their chip orders far in advance. If we knew more about their chip orders we could easily figure out Tesla's real expectations for production this year. Of course, the wild card would be knowing how likely it is that the orders will actually filled.

Completely agree with you. However the factory openings may help stock price thus the concern from many. Out all this chaos, I still see tesla coming out on top. They have the cash flow to keep innovating and executing. The other oems may not have the luxury to take risks in times like these.

EXCLUSIVE Tesla plans new Shanghai plant to more than double China capacity - sources | Reuters

SHANGHAI, Feb 24 (Reuters) - "Tesla Inc (TSLA.O) plans to start work on a new plant in Shanghai as soon as next month as part of a plan to more than double production capacity in China to meet growing demand for its cars in the country and export markets, two people familiar with the matter told Reuters.​
"Once the new plant is fully operational, Tesla will have the capacity to produce up to 2 million cars per year at its expanded Shanghai facility, the company's main export hub, according to the people, who asked not to be identified in discussing still-private plans.​
"The new plant will be located in the vicinity of its existing production base in Lingang, Pudong New Area.​
"Tesla declined to comment."​

Coming soon, to a dirt pile NE of Phase 1... Now, the only remaining drama is can China build this new factory and fully ramp production there before Germany even issues af WASSERLIZENZ?!

Paging @Krugerrand - Care to double down? ;)

Cheers!

Last edited:
To the long time Investors here who have more experience than I do. How do you determine you have seen Capitulation? When everyone who had to sell was forced to sell because of margin calls? When will wallstreet hedge funds think they have to lowest buying point and have grabbed all the shares from the retails at the lowest buying price?

Is there another way to determine capitulation on the chart than 2 massive down red days with everyone on Twitter saying they have sold because TSLA is going back to 400s?

I see a massive buying opportunity here if I had spare change, hedge fund managers must see the same thing I do?

How do they determinate we have reached capitulation day and tomorrow is massive buying day?
There have been a few responses to your questions, some quite reasonable. Overall the tendency of investors is to overreact to either good or bad news, and react to rumors too.

There is no way to know if Captilualtion has or has not happened, or if such a concept really exists in market movements. It is absolutely true that large movements happen that have perfectly sound justifications. All of them are the subject of serious quantitative analysis by highly qualified technicians, some with Nobel Prizes. Every single such tool is stochastic, and uses the past to try to predict the future. That works when the future follows the past neatly and smoothly. It sometimes does that. Hence the best neural networks still use observations as the basis for prognostication.

Hence, nobody can know, but some guess better than do others. Gordon Johnson, for example had a stellar track record. Then he misdiagnosed Tesla.

In the current situation emotions are exacerbated by current events. Those events were perfectly predictable back in 2013. They still are.

Many people including one or two giant TSLA investors, assumed TSLA would go up and up because of intrinsic value. They then figured lots of margin and derivatives would accelerate their riches, which would happen if they were correct. "Nothing goes "up and up" smoothly. NOTHING! Hence when that perfectly predictable political upheaval happened to appear (BTW, this has been FUD, SEC, NHTSA, FSD and many other acronyms, plus, the odd long-planned invasion.

All of that portended high volatility for TSLA. Elon even warned that if investors were afraid of volatility they should not buy TSLA.

So, when Capitulation? Nobody knows.

Several of us repeatedly warn that dealing in market timing and derivatives is doomed unless you're a market maker. Other insist that they know the 'secret sauce'. That is false and will remain so. Human behavior is not yet susceptible to accurate and precise prediction. Precise? Sure, that is the norm. Accurate? Never yet. Even Hari Seldon Psychohistory could not imagine precise and accurate, and that had Isaac Asimov to imagine it.

So, run fast from anybody who suggests they know when Capitulation happens. Ten years from now we'll know what happened now if we're still around to understand what actually happened.

In the meantime I, as usual HODL. Taking the longer view all is well with TSLA. Not so with many others.
FWIW, when a major event happened my rule is to stop watching the markets. I have no idea where they are now and I will not look. I will keep track of the actual events. Those whether about TSLA or the world, are serious enough. I will not trade at all during hysteria. Were I a market maker I'd be quite gleeful from an economic perspectives; Margin calls are profitable things! So are active traders (oops) marks.

BoJo: Europe must now free itself forever from oil and gas imported from the East.

Oh say, I know, how about, um, an ELECTRIC CAR FACTORY?!

Wasser für die Elefanten. Macht schnell.

TSLA Pre-Market Quotes Live​

This page refreshes every 30 seconds.
Data last updated Feb 24, 2022 07:56 AM ET.

Consolidated Last Sale$697.28 -66.76 (-8.74%)
Pre-Market Volume1,800,326
Pre-Market High$743.15 (04:00:00 AM)
Pre-Market Low$691.62 (07:37:01 AM)
Definitely gives people another reason to buy an electric car, if they weren't sufficiently motivated by climate change.

Do what you like with this info.
View attachment 773239

Sell covered calls?
I would say selling covered calls at this point would be the werst choice..
A) the time to sell covered calls relatively safely with any decent premium has passed
B) too much risk of being called away UNLESS one is really just playing in the weeklies or going far OOTM and at that point the premium is currently neglible.

Deep out-of-the-money call options are SUPER CHEAP now, in my non-professional opinion.

For instance, calls with strike $2475 for 17 Mar 2023 expiration are only $8 today.

I think this is nuts, because with Tesla's ridiculous 2022 growth looming, I would not be surprised if we're holding $3000+ TSLA shares by this time next year.

My middle expectation of annualized EBIT for Q4 '22 is $30-35B. So, a $3k+ share price would require only about a 100 P/EBIT ratio, which isn't crazy for a company selling a couple million widgets per year for $20k profit each while exponentially growing volume 80% annually.

My bull case is TSLA = $4k by Mar '23 with $40B annualized Q4 '22 EBIT.

$3k share price would give about 60x return on investment; $4k about 200x. All in a 13-month timeframe.

Plus, this same time period looks poised to yield excellent FSD progress, because of Dojo coming online, an influx of fresh AI engineering talent following AI day, and an exponentially expanding army of beta testers gathering training data. If visible FSD improvements finally make the robotaxi dream more believable for investors and the roof is blown off the stock price, then these dirt cheap call options could plausibly return 300x. This is much less likely, but it's probable enough to add to the value of the option.

I don't know if I'm missing something major, or if the market is just being absurdly irrational with this options pricing.
This post accentuates my point in my immediate previous post.