Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am using US average figures. Electricity is also more expensive in CA too. Alters the math a little but the punchline remains.
Yea, everything is more expensive in CA. You didn't need to reply though cuz regardless gas vs charging is still a 2:1 cost if not more. In my own case, I've paid $432 in electricity (since July 21) vs what I would have paid in gas for $1050 and I drive very little, at two tanks a month. I'd add that not only is it cheaper, the fact that I don't have to visit a gas station and instead fill up while I'm asleep is like the invention of sliced bread. The advantage and benefit of this is hard to quantify!

I must be like $100 to fill a tank in Canada now, eh?
carlines.jpg

Gasoline prices:

Electricity prices:

Gasoline prices:

Electricity prices:
That USA price for electricity is quite literally one HALF the price here in CA and I’m sure other states.. not sure how they define. Avg..USA price. Here in CA, while we might pay 30% more for a gallon of gas, in most of CA we could pay nearly 100% more for a KWH than in say OR or WA or certainly other parts of the country.. So overall, the TCO ICE vs. EV, starts to break down pretty quickly. If I could get a kWh for .10 vs. .30, TCO would be WAY different..

Reactions: insaneoctane
That USA price for electricity is quite literally one HALF the price here in CA and I’m sure other states.. not sure how they define. Avg..USA price. Here in CA, while we might pay 30% more for a gallon of gas, in most of CA we could pay nearly 100% more for a KWH than in say OR or WA or certainly other parts of the country.. So overall, the TCO ICE vs. EV, starts to break down pretty quickly. If I could get a kWh for .10 vs. .30, TCO would be WAY different..
Yea it's more expensive so charge during super off peak.

It’s the equivalent of about 4.38 USD per US gallon in central B.C. right now. More on the coast. Cheaper in some provinces.

Tier one electricity here is just under 10 cents per kWh before tax and fees or just over 12 cents with. Tier 2 is about 4 cents higher but we rarely hit that. Canadian denomination.

Then again in California you can just add solar to your home and because of the high electricity prices, this pays for itself in less than 1/3 of its lifetime. We added a 10kW system for $18k after incentives, $25k cash layout initially in 2015. We used to pay $2k/year for electric, now $0. We added three power walls in 2020 to mitigate the change in rate plans (off peak now until 3pm when most solar already happened) which again pays for itself in less than its lifetime. They keep changing the rules but it is possible to sidestep them with investments. We essentially charge our cars for free. My next investment is replacing our gas furnace with a heat pump system.

Some good reporting from Teslarati here. They reached out to the EPA to check on the status of certification of Austin-made Model Ys. The article is fairly detailed, and explains the EPA's certification process, and why Austin-made Ys need to receive a separate certification (likely changes to the battery pack, or some other change in the vehicle).

It also corroborates what management said on the earnings call in January about the certification being the only hold-up to deliveries, and would seem to confirm that Austin-produced Ys can be delivered once that hurdle is cleared, unlike in Germany where currently-produced vehicles will have to be disposed of/whatever.

So, the race between Austin and Berlin is already over.

Then again in California you can just add solar to your home and because of the high electricity prices, this pays for itself in less than 1/3 of its lifetime. We added a 10kW system for $18k after incentives, $25k cash layout initially in 2015. We used to pay $2k/year for electric, now $0. We added three power walls in 2020 to mitigate the change in rate plans (off peak now until 3pm when most solar already happened) which again pays for itself in less than its lifetime. They keep changing the rules but it is possible to sidestep them with investments. We essentially charge our cars for free. My next investment is replacing our gas furnace with a heat pump system.
Absolutely, but that’s not usually the way an apples to apples TCO would be done.. as an example, I get free charging in my town and thats all I need.. so yeah, TCO vs. my ICE cars is great. But like solar, that would be an individual by individual basis.

Reactions: UncaNed
Some good reporting from Teslarati here. They reached out to the EPA to check on the status of certification of Austin-made Model Ys. The article is fairly detailed, and explains the EPA's certification process, and why Austin-made Ys need to receive a separate certification (likely changes to the battery pack, or some other change in the vehicle).

It also corroborates what management said on the earnings call in January about the certification being the only hold-up to deliveries, and would seem to confirm that Austin-produced Ys can be delivered once that hurdle is cleared, unlike in Germany where currently-produced vehicles will have to be disposed of/whatever.

So, the race between Austin and Berlin is already over.

Now the race between Giga Berlin and Giga Prague begins… 🤓

Outside of CA and the Northeast where electricity is $0.25+, most of the rest of the country is ~$0.12. Cheapest is the PNW, where it’s under 10c IIRC.

Outside of CA and the Northeast where electricity is $0.25+, most of the rest of the country is ~$0.12. Cheapest is the PNW, where it’s under 10c IIRC.

ToU plans make it even odder though.

I pay 2.79c per kwh to charge from 10pm-5am, so it costs like $2 to "fill up" my Model 3.

My total power bill went down when I switched to an EV, since it gave me access to the EV-only ToU plan from my power co-op.

Uhh…. What?

The rise in gas prices were about to see alters the TCO massively in Tesla’s favor.

A model 3 in the US costs about $40/mo in electricity if you drive It the US average of ~1000 miles.

A 28mpg comparable ICE car will use 36 gallons.

At $2.50 per gallon that’s ~$90/mo
At $3.30 per gallon that’s ~$120/mo
At $4.50 per gallon that’s ~$160/mo

With gas prices at $4.50 (which will probably happen soon) you pay $120 per month extra in “fuel”, which translates to ~$7,000 in sales price if financed!
So many SUVs out there, 28mpg is seems generous.
Moreover, in a two car family, assuming both commute to work by
car, and soon the numbers add up.

1000 miles per month at 20 mpg, that’s 50 gallons, and at $4.5 per gallon
equals $225 per car. $2,700 per year per car.

Median family income, in 2021 is $79,900.

Reactions: StealthP3D