Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Accelerating sustainable energy is an economic disaster for Russia and his oligarch buddies. That Putin didn't understand how the rest of the world would react to this just shows how out-of-touch he is. This video is a week old, but Putin already looks defeated and unhealthy as he explains his reasoning to the other billionaires:

We thought Tesla was under-valued before this short-sighted invasion of Ukraine but with the newfound urgency to transition to sustainable energies caused by the invasion, TSLA has just become a lot more valuable. Yesterday's rise is not enough to compensate for the newfound value, IMO. And that's putting aside that it was already under-valued, just based on the auto business alone.

I really despise war, but it can sometimes have beneficial side effects!
I don’t think it’s really increasing the value of Tesla at all.

Fundamentally Tesla is supply constrained and will be for a long time. They can only scale so fast and having *yet more* demand just doesn’t help with increasing supply. Maybe Tesla will be able to demand a bit more premium for some of their energy products, but they are selling everything they can produce faster than they can produce it.

Maybe this will result in some long term change, but I think we were already heading down that path regardless.

About the only possible big benefit Tesla could get out of this is perhaps a few governments might figure out how to get the hell out of their way. Berlin comes to mind here. California as well.

EDIT: TSLA… yeah that’s different, as a shareholder having more people aware of this stuff helps!

Last edited:
I don’t think it’s really increasing the value of Tesla at all.

Fundamentally Tesla is supply constrained and will be for a long time. They can only scale so fast and having *yet more* demand just doesn’t help with increasing supply. Maybe Tesla will be able to demand a bit more premium for some of their energy products, but they are selling everything they can produce faster than they can produce it.

Maybe this will result in some long term change, but I think we were already heading down that path regardless.

About the only possible big benefit Tesla could get out of this is perhaps a few governments might figure out how to get the hell out of their way. Berlin comes to mind here. California as well.

EDIT: TSLA… yeah that’s different, as a shareholder having more people aware of this stuff helps!
Having more global motivation to transition to renewables does help Tesla's economic valuation for many reasons on both the supply and demand sides, especially recruiting, politics, pricing power, and supply chain.

Recruiting:
This attracts more people to work on renewable energy, thereby directly helping Tesla scale faster. They have continually said talent is their fundamental limiting factor.

Politics:
As you mentioned, it also reduces the desire of some politicians to slow down Tesla's growth.

Pricing Power:
In a market where the quantity supplied is static in the short term, an increase in demand will result in either longer waiting lists or higher prices. For Tesla Energy, the waiting list is already too long, so I expect they'll need to raise price and it'll fall straight to profit margins.

Supply Chain:
Early in Tesla's history, one the many bankruptcy threats was that suppliers thought they would fail and didn't want to partner. (Elon and Marc Tarpenning have said this was the main reason Tesla started down the path of vertical integration in the first place.) The more the general population believes renewables are going to scale fast, the easier it is for Tesla to secure contracts for raw materials and components.

Last edited:
Dave Ramsey has a huge following. Saw the title and did not see what was coming in the content. The facts were a bit out of whack but that doesn’t matter for the story. Puts Elon on the map, especially in the southern states.
TL;DW? (Or more accurately, don't necessarily want to give them views, but curious)

FYI, Rivian just increased their pricing substantially (like $20K). Isn’t honoring old pricing if you have a reservation (EDIT: actually they are only if your order is about to be delivered within the next few weeks). Many people on Reddit threads saying they are cancelling Rivian truck orders and ordering Cybertruck. Of course, they can’t since there is no Cybertruck order page!

Last edited:
FYI, Rivian just increased their pricing substantially (like $20K). Isn’t honoring old pricing if you have a reservation (Unlike Tesla). Many people on Reddit threads saying they are cancelling Rivian truck orders and ordering Cybertruck. Of course, they can’t since there is no Cybertruck order page!
With this news and the Lucid cuts yesterday this reminds me of a quote from Ronnie Coleman:

“Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy-ass weights.”​

With this news and the Lucid cuts yesterday this reminds me of a quote from Ronnie Coleman:

“Everybody wants to be a bodybuilder, but nobody wants to lift no heavy-ass weights.”​

Not a good look for Rivian, but they put themselves in this tough position by setting such unrealistically high expectations to begin with.

FYI, Rivian just increased their pricing substantially (like $20K). Isn’t honoring old pricing if you have a reservation (Unlike Tesla). Many people on Reddit threads saying they are cancelling Rivian truck orders and ordering Cybertruck. Of course, they can’t since there is no Cybertruck order page!
From what I saw more like $12k increase. They also tried to soften the blow by adding a dual motor config with lower range in at the old prices.

Still sucks bad. A 15-17% increase at the 11th hour. Those 500 or so people driving around on the early ones maybe throwing a party today.

EDIT: Nevermind… hearing some configs getting bumped 25% even higher priced ones.

Last edited:
From what I saw more like $12k increase. They also tried to soften the blow by adding a dual motor config with lower range in at the old prices.

Still sucks bad. A 15-17% increase at the 11th hour. Those 500 or so people driving around on the early ones maybe throwing a party today.

They will likely be listing them for sale to pocket the increased value. I would.

1646180179902.jpeg

Bullish for Tesla Energy: California grid added over 10x more utility-scale battery storage in 2021 than in 2020.

EVs dont just run out an stop without a lot of warnings and dropping of speed and power.

Theres a chance something broke and the car lost power, but you should still be able to coast and steer, and brake.
Agree. Years ago we were as it happens on I70 in Maryland in a Ford Explorer and the engine died. IIRC the son was driving - he would have been in his late teens, and he was able to get over and pull off on the side of the road. Tragic for the individuals in the Tesla, but not unique. And yes the rest of the article was a compendium of selected facts presented to create a narrative that Tesla is unsafe.