Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Knowing humans as this ant does, there should be a simple, imaginable/low math number that the average moron can grasp. A comparison of Savings per 100 miles. Take the average price of a kW for the lower 48 and the average price of a gallon of gasoline to do the math. And used the published watts per mile of each vehicle. Too much math and science makes it impossible for chuckleheads.
It would be very biting when described as "Savings per 100 miles".

Could look at it this way. For each EV, how many solar panels does the world need to make to keep it charged? I figure it’s in the range 6 to 10. Six for a model 3, ten for a less efficient car. With energy to spare.

Admittedly I’m taking workplace charging and transmission capacity for granted. A bit of extra cost there.

If we say that the cost of panels and batteries are same ballpark per kg, it easily shows that generation of the energy is the easy bit. A strong bloke can lift 6 panels. A crane is required to lift a battery pack.

The panels should outlive two or three cars, even more robotaxis.

Not the first time he's brought this up

Link is from July last year where while taking a ride in an FSD9 car he mentions he thinks they need FLIR.

He does say he has no investment in Teledyne just to defuse any suggestions he's pumping the tech for that reason.

FLIR or LIDAR?

Definitely FLIR. LIDAR is among the things he lists as crap in comparison.

FWIW FLIR can do some cool stuff... including stuff that'd be genuinely useful for FSD (for example it could see a deer approaching from the trees ahead and to the side on a rural road that the cameras can't see because your headlights aren't aimed at it and there's no street lights on most rural roads-- not to mention offering far better visibility through bad weather than either vision OR LIDAR can...).

That said, Sandy seems mostly to be impressed by a few specific applications of it-- and even goes so far as to confuse FLIR with night vision- which are two very different systems.... (one senses heat gradients.... the other is just massively amplifying faint visible light)... so he's right it's cool tech... and it CAN see stuff that regular cameras can't.

But that doesn't mean it'd be worth the cost and complexity (and potential drawbacks) of moving back to a sensor fusion model for Teslas current goals.

And since the mods generally dislike technical FSD discussion here, let me remind everyone this exists:

Last edited:
Looks like Sandy is now calling FSD crap and that it won’t ever work with cameras only FLIR.
Sandy is a great Industrial/Mechanical Engineer , but is frankly out of his league when it comes to AI /Machine learning ... when Tesla hits the takeoff point and has established a decided strategic advantage(credit Nick Bostrom "Superintelligence") in autonomy it will be game over ... in future Sandy will shooting YT videos while being driven around in Tesla cybertruck admitting just how off base he was

Last edited:
Looks like Sandy is now calling FSD crap and that it won’t ever work with cameras only FLIR.

When I want to know what the next big bleeding edge tech advancement is, I don't go to Warren Buffet. Or Sandy Munro. People need to stop talking about things they know nothing about.

Did you see how he got fooled by the photo of the prototype of the Tesla Plaid motor rotor with a woven carbon fiber overlay? It's not a good look.

When I want to know what the next big bleeding edge tech advancement is, I don't go to Warren Buffet. Or Sandy Munro. People need to stop talking about things they know nothing about.

Did you see how he got fooled by the photo of the prototype of the Tesla Plaid motor rotor with a woven carbon fiber overlay? It's not a good look.
I'll ask my neighbors they may know.

• Funny
Reactions: StealthP3D
As I said over a year ago, the only way to parse that observation in a way that makes logical sense is as follows:

Legacy auto is not aiming their advertising at car buyers, but at the billions of government dollars they think will be available for companies worthy of it. Their advertising is aimed squarely at making them appear to be sincere in their efforts to electrify, without actually having to electrify in any meaningful way. This has the added advantage of retaining customer loyalty. They don't want to be seen as dinosaurs who are greedily fighting against electrification. They already know that perception can only lead to certain failure while the perception that they are leading the difficult charge to electrification will encourage the government to help them. Because the government is comprised of regular people who watch regular commercials and have to make car purchase decisions themselves. This EV advertising campaign is all about corporate image and not at all about making money by selling more EV's.
I would not say you are wrong, but I will say that a good side effect of all this advertising (and I watch sports on TV - so I see a lot of car commercials) is that the American consumer will start to accept EV's: as real, as here, as "something I could see myself owning". Hour after hour of Cadillac, Kia, Volvo, Audi, Ford, etc. ads all showing how stylish and 'futuristic' their EV offering is will make some impact -- OK, at least on those of us old enough to own a TV 😬

Knowing humans as this ant does, there should be a simple, imaginable/low math number that the average moron can grasp. A comparison of Savings per 100 miles. Take the average price of a kW for the lower 48 and the average price of a gallon of gasoline to do the math. And used the published watts per mile of each vehicle. Too much math and science makes it impossible for chuckleheads.
It would be very biting when described as "Savings per 100 miles".
$5 to drive 200 miles. Most gassers can understand that. And thanks to my solar it will $5 for the next 25 years.

Sandy is a great Industrial/Mechanical Engineer , but is frankly out of his league when it comes to AI /Machine learning ... when Tesla hits the takeoff point and has established a decided strategic advantage(credit Nick Bostrom "Superintelligence") in autonomy it will be game over ... in future Sandy will shooting YT videos while being driven around in Tesla cybertruck admitting just how off base he was
You want to design a sprocket? I got a man for you in my rolodex. He worked at Cogsley Cogs 40 years ago, name of Munro.

$5 to drive 200 miles. Most gassers can understand that. And thanks to my solar it will $5 for the next 25 years.
Nope, sorry. That leaves the chucklehead to do the math. And it sounds like you are bragging or lying. And it does not make them feel pain... Saying "Every 100 miles using a national average for electricity and gas you spend $16.53 more for fuel driving that Chevy Impala than I do driving my Model Y.

Reactions: cjkosh
Munro's has become a circus. He can talk about welds and 'what not' but every anything regarding EV - motor, battery, inverters, 'and what not' he has no clue due to his training and experience with ICE. It is like, no offense, Cobol or Fortran programmer in today's world.

For me the only game in town in Phil @ Ingineerix but he's been idle lately. Too bad the masses still follow Munro too closely because they have no clue and consider him an authority. It is not the case. Frankly, some of the stuff he's been saying lately is utter trash.

He's had a good heart and I know he is a supporter of Tesla and Made in the US of A, but his tech analytics is in the 90s.

Munro's has become a circus. He can talk about welds and 'what not' but every anything regarding EV - motor, battery, inverters, 'and what not' he has no clue due to his training and experience with ICE. It is like, no offense, Cobol or Fortran programmer in today's world.

For me the only game in town in Phil @ Ingineerix but he's been idle lately. Too bad the masses still follow Munro too closely because they have no clue and consider him an authority. It is not the case. Frankly, some of the stuff he's been saying lately is utter trash.

He's had a good heart and I know he is a supporter of Tesla and Made in the US of A, but his tech analytics is in the 90s.
There is value to his tear downs.

Just not a ton of value to a lot of his speculation. You just have to realize what his expertise is and take everything else with a grain of salt.

He’s opinionated and has no filters. That is a type of entertainment by itself.

For me the only game in town in Phil @ Ingineerix but he's been idle lately.
A new channel similar to Ingineerix named Five Years Ahead has been excellent so far.

Nobody knows everything. You have to mix them together. Sandy understands exoskeleton applications and production scale paint shop costs that are critical to CT. Seems to me a good investor is looking for as much input from varied sources as can be had.

Most of the useful stuff surfaces here and that is what makes this forum a great source for digging in deeply. I still miss Jack R. for his sometimes challenging insights.