Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You mean 'executed on their brief' from Congress? or the hit job they get paid to do by hedge funds?

#SEC

If this is true----that the proposal was approved as presented, it is a sad day. Shorts are being compensated for being harmed! We have come full circle: In the SEC Act of 1938, the uptick rule was enacted by the SEC to deter "manipulative shorts" from harming actual investors. Since then, the Madoff Exemption has been adopted (circa @2001), and the uptick rule was extinguished (2007). Now, shorts (otherwise known as "market participants") are being treated as "investors" and are due compensation for being "harmed". Incredible!!

This says everything to me - I've always wondered how many EVstangs they sell... maybe Teslas sell better
I saw 2 3's w/ lights on in the lot
(Ford in Eureka, Ca)View attachment 785829
There is a local used car dealer with "Autohaus" in the name that normally specializes in the German brands.

They now have more Tesla's than any brand (about 50) and a lot of the inventory are brand new Tesla's being priced about 10% over Tesla current prices. There is no sales tax on EV's in NJ so the transaction costs to buy the cars is minimal. They are picking off the customers that don't want to wait for a Tesla and willing to pay a premium to get it now.

So we are two weeks away from the Giga Austin ceremony....cutting it short with invites eh? Or will it just be open to all who can come? Saw its up to 15k capacity. When did the Giga Berlin invites go out?

Looks like GB invites went out 12 days ahead of the event

I'd rather see OEM quality crate Humvee/H1 EV conversions to make real Hummers into EVs, than these new EV "Hummers". Everything after the H1 is just faking it, trading actual utility and usefuless (for situations where it's useful) for a horribly inefficient poser wannabe with creature comforts. Either get an actual SUV that is sensible or get a Hummer/H1, don't try to do both, I have no use for H2+ existing. EV Humvees/H1s would still be terrible efficiency (as far as EVs go), but at least they'd still have functional utility that sets them apart from regular SUVs. I'd even be fine with seeing series hybrid setups where a smaller more efficient ICE based generator of some kind was installed alongside the BEV powertrain in the Hummer as an alternative charging source, under the premise that it's a potentially long duration off road vehicle and EV jerry cans don't exactly exist. But glorified oversized luxury SUVs with trash efficiency and no utility advantages have no reason to exist.

Last edited:
1648273258612.jpeg

Apparently invites are going out. I don’t rate

Troys Q1 estimate now down below 320k. Seems to be making the same wrong assumptions about Shanghai production for the month of March because of Covid that he did with Fremont in Dec when he assumed Tesla would have demand issues at the end of the quarter 🙄.

Keep in mind, just 2 weeks before Q4 numbers, Troy was at 276k, which was more than 10% off from the actual number. Wouldn’t be surprised to see the same thing happen again.

Also, he states that DMV registration data points to Fremont production being exactly the same as Q4. There’s been multiple pieces of anecdotal evidence that contradicts this and we’ve had 2 different data sources that point to US deliveries being much higher than Q4 in the first two months of the quarter. If the Q1 number comes into higher than 330k, Troy needs to do find new registration data sources or stop his method of taking select data and extrapolating.

I’m staying at a range of 335k-340k using the other 2 sources of US registration data and the data we already have from China for Jan/Feb. If you go back to my post from a couple weeks ago, Tesla only needs to produce around 70-72k to hit 80k deliveries for March. If they were to do that, total deliveries for Tesla for Q1 would be above 347k

Cadillac LYRIQ manufacturing video:
Is it me or is the manufacturing process really slow? The throughput time looks poor.
It becomes clearer and clearer to me that the Tesla Manufacturing Process is a competitive cost advantage that will exist for a long time.

Better seen compared to Berlin's Giga Factory video recently released:

Good try, though - and indeed Tesla is 40X faster .. phew

Yah, this has been known. The tour showed the strutural and non structual mock up cutaways and the Q4 letter showed the Berlin body line with floor pan and only rear castings.
Makes sense, there is not yet local 4680 production for Berlin structural packs. After C19 and delays hit, Tesla switched Texas to the lead site for at least some of the new tech.

View attachment 785868
Yes, they showed old and new packs, but I hoped the 2170 one was just an old cut-away for illustration purpose. (And with enough steel a pack of marshmallow-cells could be made structural. Whether that leaves enough enough capacity or has prohibitive weight or cost is a different topic..)
Likewise, AFAIK they presented the seat on pack design as 'how we'll build it here', not some future design.

But the implications for the factory are rather profound:
The Front section is more than a third of the remaining BiW line. So they bought, installed and calibrated those for just a few months? And if they are removed in the future, will that leave a gaping hole in the body section, or did they install them 'temporary' off the main line?
The material flows are different too: Stamping (with dedicated dies)->subassembly->BiW vs. Casting->BiW. They have to reshuffle this whole section or already built both paths, creating a cramped environment for the start-up...

The seats are even more of a head scratcher. Here they'll have to move them from the GA line to the pack subassembly, creating empty stations on the GA line, which creates an unnecessary long line, which means they had to build a bigger factory for this fallback!?! And even if pack and seat installation is right next to each other reshuffling basically the whole factory layout seems like a daunting task and impossible without production impacts.

I guess I just expected the tradeoff decision to fall towards investing engineering resources into finding a creative solution to a 'structural 2170 pack' to limit the 4680 migration to the pack subassembly rather than rebuilding the lines...

Unless the current line will stay like this for a long time.. :(

Last edited:
Yes, they showed old and new packs, but I hoped the 2170 one was just an old cut-away for illustration purpose. (And with enough steel a pack of marshmallow-cells could be made structural. Whether that leaves enough enough capacity or has prohibitive weight or cost is a different topic..)
Likewise, AFAIK they presented the seat on pack design as 'how we'll build it here', not some future design.

But the implications for the factory are rather profound:
The Front section is more than a third of the remaining BiW line. So they bought, installed and calibrated those for just a few months? And if they are removed in the future, will that leave a gaping hole in the body section, or did they install them 'temporary' off the main line?
The material flows are different too: Stamping (with dedicated dies)->subassembly->BiW vs. Casting->BiW. They have to reshuffle this whole section or already built both paths, creating a cramped environment for the start-up...

The seats are even more of a head scratcher. Here they'll have to move them from the GA line to the pack subassembly, creating empty stations on the GA line, which creates an unnecessary long line, which means they had to build a bigger factory for this fallback!?! And even if pack and seat installation is right next to each other reshuffling basically the whole factory layout seems like a daunting task and impossible without production impacts.

I guess I just expected the tradeoff decision to fall towards investing engineering resources into finding a creative solution to a 'structural 2170 pack' to limit the 4680 migration to the pack subassembly rather than rebuilding the lines...

Unless the current line will stay like this for a long time.. :(
BIW long term: Per the latest reports they are building a second body line. This would make sense if they have one structual dual casting BIW line and one single casting nonstructural pack. The dual pack options allows for reuse of the current 2170 and LFP packs (available now and no dev needed) for lower performance vehicles.
Once Berlin makes 4680s, has more presses, and Texas works out the bugs they can build structual dual casting vehicles. Say 5 rear casting machines and 3 front casting.
This also gives a huge range of mix: Max 60% dual casting, but flexible up to 100% single (GA, BIW limit) by not making front castings . Assuming they even need all 8 presses. Min cycle time is still a bit unknown.

BIW short term: Gigapresses are a limited commodity. Going to dual casting would have required two presses and die sets to be up and running. Single castings effectively double the production ratio of vehicles per press.
Does it require more robots on BIW? Sure, but that's minimal impact when planned for, and I'd guess the front end is optimized from previous versions.

Tesla timeline: the decision to go single casting to start was made long ago, not a few months. Besides, in the original plan, Berlin was dual, Texas was single, so they already had all the line layouts done and long lead items on order. All they nedded to do (assuming space was there) was swap shipping destinations and install crews.

GA: I think Tesla did something really smart here. I predict the building will only even have one GA line. However, that line is long enough that that they can double or even triple stations to achive the desired build rate. This totally eliminates the issue of parts crossing GA lines to get to other GA lines. So yes, there will be an offline seat+pack assembly step fed from the seat process that then feeds the pack to chassis marriage point, and there will also be a seats into chassis pan point on the GA line; but again, that added cost and conplexity is minimal if the line was originally laid out to support it.

There is a local used car dealer with "Autohaus" in the name that normally specializes in the German brands.

They now have more Tesla's than any brand (about 50) and a lot of the inventory are brand new Tesla's being priced about 10% over Tesla current prices. There is no sales tax on EV's in NJ so the transaction costs to buy the cars is minimal. They are picking off the customers that don't want to wait for a Tesla and willing to pay a premium to get it now.

Looks like Autohaus has deep engineering expertise. They have replaced the Model 3 crappy golf-cart technology with German state-of-the-art 10-cylinder engine.

1648296442945.png