Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This 2nd split is what I have dreamed of for a year, If we go >= 5:1 and the valuation becomes inline with what reality is($2000+ per share) this will allow me to hold on to a sizable amount of shares and still be able to achieve financial freedom.

Sorry if I got overly bearish when we dropped into the mid 700s and called for potential 600s. That was wrong.

If you are short TSLA, the stock dividend is the same as a cash dividend, in that the short has to deliver, to whom the stock was shorted, the dividend. I.e., if it is a 5-for-1 stock split, 4 shares have to be delivered; in the case of a cash dividend, the amount of cash has to be delivered. It's obviously a lot easier to deliver cash than to scrape up 4 shares of stock for every share that is shorted. So, no, they are not the same.
Thank you for a nice, concise explanation of why this burns shorts.

I knew that was the perception but didn’t quite get why until this.

I like that a stock split will be voted on at the annual shareholder meeting. I think this sets a good precedent. Most years we wouldn't want or need a stock split. If it was voted on once a year, that would be frequent enough. The rest of the year there is little need to speculate on the timing of the next split.
In my view, that's not the way it will go down. Now, we will all be speculating on the timing of the next annual shareholder meeting.

I like that a stock split will be voted on at the annual shareholder meeting. I think this sets a good precedent. Most years we wouldn't want or need a stock split. If it was voted on once a year, that would be frequent enough. The rest of the year there is little need to speculate on the timing of the next split.

Are they actually voting on a split, or just an increase in number of outstanding shares to make one or more splits possible in the future? My understanding was the latter, but I could be wrong.

I jus wanna say "How slick is Elon?", tweeting out the sabbatical and covfefe newz HOURZ b4 da Stock Split.

Well done, Sir! :D

for-those-about-to-rock-we-salute-you.jpg

Cheers to the Longs!

P.S. Why yes, I do think that Will Ferrell should play Elon in the movie. Who else?

No, we aren't going to be voting on a stock split. We will be voting to increase the number of shares the board can issue. Then it is up to the board to decide to do a split, and if so what ratio to split the stock.

Are they actually voting on a split, or just an increase in number of outstanding shares to make one or more splits possible in the future? My understanding was the latter, but I could be wrong.

From the 8-K: tsla-8k_20220328.htm

On March 28, 2022, Tesla, Inc. (the “Company” or “Tesla”) announced its plan to request stockholder approval at the upcoming 2022 Annual Meeting of Stockholders (the “Annual Meeting”) for an increase in the number of authorized shares of common stock through an amendment to the Company’s Amended and Restated Certificate of Incorporation (the “Amendment”) in order to enable a stock split of the Company’s common stock in the form of a stock dividend. Tesla’s Board of Directors (“Board”) has approved the management proposal, but the stock dividend will be contingent on final Board approval.

The Company’s definitive proxy statement relating to the Annual Meeting will include additional details regarding the Amendment, as well as the record date, date and location of the Annual Meeting.

We will be voting to authorize more shares, then the board will be finalizing their decision to do a split.

No, we aren't going to be voting on a stock split. We will be voting to increase the number of shares the board can issue. Then it is up to the board to decide to do a split, and if so what ratio to split the stock.

We will be voting to authorize more shares, then the board will be finalizing their decision to do a split.
Further, if Tesla is a forward thinking company they may well seek authorization for a large multiple fo what they actually want to do this time. That would make the next split a simple board vote.

Yes, exactly right. And Tesla will almost certain ask for the authorized shares limit to be raised well above the needs of the next few splits. I'd suggest a trillion, just for the zing it'll give to certain amygdala regions. :p

Cheers!

Tell me you're a lawyer without saying you're a lawyer.

Yes, exactly right. And Tesla will almost certain ask for the authorized shares limit to be raised well above the needs of the next few splits. I'd suggest a trillion, just for the zing it'll give to certain amygdala regions. :p

Cheers!

I look forward to earnings of $10/share with 1T outstanding shares.

Question for my enlightenment:

In the event that a large number of additional shares are approved (let's say Dodger's trillion), is the dilutive impact on existing shares accounted or adjusted for ?

Is there any adjustment to their intrinsic "weight", or do they just become of much smaller valuation and we move along ?

The reason behind my query is that if the number of new shares was significant, as in this example, a majority shareholder could conceivably lose that status even with the multiplicative effect of the split.