Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Financial Times reporting on Volkswagens EV strategy (converting factory by factory instead of adding new) and their problems with raw materials for batteries:

EDIT: Full article here:
Shareholders aren't going to be happy with this honesty while other legacy manufacturers are still telling rosey lies (while leading)...

Musk invited to join Biden Administration meeting over BEV charging standards along with other industry executives - this was a high-level meeting, with multiple heads of departments attending.
"Also attending were Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm, National Climate Advisor Gina McCarthy and Infrastructure Coordinator Mitch Landrieu."

Reuters are reporting that Biden admin officials held a meeting today about EV's with auto industry execs, including Elon Musk and Mary Barra. Would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall.

Biden administration holds EV industry meeting with Musk, Barra

Admin officials "included Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm, National Climate Advisor Gina McCarthy and Infrastructure Coordinator Mitch Landrieu."

"The administration said in a statement "there was broad consensus that charging stations and vehicles need to be interoperable and provide a seamless user experience, no matter what car you drive or where you charge your EV."

Edit: @wtlloyd just beat me to it. :)

Musk invited to join Biden Administration meeting over BEV charging standards along with other industry executives - this was a high-level meeting, with multiple heads of departments attending.
"Also attending were Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm, National Climate Advisor Gina McCarthy and Infrastructure Coordinator Mitch Landrieu."

From same article:

Last week, automakers backed the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) new tougher vehicle emissions regulations in a court challenge brought by some states and ethanol groups.

Corn growers, a Valero Energy (VLO.N) subsidiary and other ethanol producers said the new EPA rules revising emission requirements through 2026 "effectively mandate the production and sale of electric cars rather than cars powered by internal combustion engines."
😳😎

"The administration said in a statement "there was broad consensus that charging stations and vehicles need to be interoperable and provide a seamless user experience, no matter what car you drive or where you charge your EV."

So, they invited Elon because the other companies need Tesla’s Superchargers.

Not an advertisement.

1649309118917.png

Legitimate competition does nothing to mitigate real anti-trust concerns because monopolies are not illegal. This is a common misunderstanding. Illegal behavior is that which stifles competition unfairly and superior engineering and efficient manufacturing and delivery do not fall into that category.

As you admitted, the Boeing case was not prosecuted under anti-trust law which I recommend reading up on before saying it's a risk to Tesla down the road. Tesla has none of the type "A" competitive behavior that is offensive to anti-trust law. It's ridiculous to equate a lack of real competition with anti-trust concerns.

If you want to argue that Tesla will, in the future, start to use anti-competitive practices, then please explain why you think that. Because it makes no sense given Tesla's mission statement and Elon's past history.
I agree with your premises and I think there’s been a misunderstanding. To clarify I’m saying:

1) Tesla has not actually done anything substantially anticompetitive.

2) Tesla will have monopoly power in multiple enormous markets.

3) Three of those markets (transportation, energy, software) have historically seen some of the biggest antitrust cases in history (United Aircraft and Transport Co breakup, Standard Oil breakup, and Microsoft almost getting in big trouble).

4) In light of 2 & 3, unfounded allegations of anticompetitive behavior may arise that despite being nonsensical end up being believed by enough voters to lead to passage of a targeted law akin to the Air Mail Act of 1934 that broke up UATC.

5) The probability of this happening is low, maybe 1%, but the impact is so large that as an investor I count it as a non-negligible long term liability.

With regards to anti competitive discussions, I always thought breaking up of companies will lead to higher shareholder value as each business vertical is valued on its own growth prospects which leads to unlocking of higher values. Correct if I am wrong. For example, some people expect AWS alone to be worth 2 trillion (not sure of numbers behind it ) if it’s split from Amazon.

In Tesla’s case, Supercharger network will be open for everyone, autopilot can be licenced by other automakers, DOJO may be available for everyone as a service. I am wondering where will be the value destruction? Each tesla vertical seems to have substantial differentiation from the competition and can stand alone as an independent business.

Reuters are reporting that Biden admin officials held a meeting today about EV's with auto industry execs, including Elon Musk and Mary Barra. Would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall.

Biden administration holds EV industry meeting with Musk, Barra

Admin officials "included Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg, Energy Secretary Jennifer Granholm, National Climate Advisor Gina McCarthy and Infrastructure Coordinator Mitch Landrieu."

Edit: @wtlloyd just beat me to it. :)
Good news. It's great knowing in Europe that all charging stations will work without worrying about finding the right adaptor. It takes the hassle out of long distance travel.

Even though tesla will be fine either way, I'd much prefer them having a seat at the table helping to make better decisions for EV adoption rather than having the ideas of others imposed on them.

Good news. It's great knowing in Europe that all charging stations will work without worrying about finding the right adaptor. It takes the hassle out of long distance travel.

Yes we're all on CCS2 plug - but taking the hassle out I won't agree with.
The EU is good in designing compolex regulatory frameworks that allow non-vendor-locking solutions in a big scale across countries - in theory - so that's why CCS2 is only a plug definition, but the hole charging process is defined into multiple roles that can and will all be different vendor as well:

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-07 um 10.45.02.png

only Tesla combines the roles of CPO ChargepointOperator, EMP EMobilitPRovider and "User" aka CAR Software within one ecosystem, so it works seamlessly. And this graphic does leave out vendor of the charging-stall itself. i.e.:

You drive a Porsche (with tech by Rimac) to an EnBW Charging station, built by Compleo and use your Plugsurfing Charging Card via the Hubject roaming network .... if something fails, no single party/piece in the puzzle has the full picture.

And coming regulations for mandatory integration of local payment solutions (card readers, RFID etc...) won't make it easier but just more complex.
(Europe is not the US where every Vending Machine has a CreditCardReader :) )

Last edited:
Question is what this means. Tesla today is seamless, competition is not. If there is a requirement of an open API for everyone to use, Tesla can probably release that in a few weeks to their chargers and fleet, but will competition be able to get that to all their cars and chargers within a year?

Imo all the charging providers should offer some from of API with handshake codes and payment happening through the car companies own payment channels. For example if you plug in a Tesla in an Electrify America charger, the Tesla should be able to handshake and do the payment with the Tesla app credit card information. And other cars should be able to charge at Tesla chargers if they have their own payment app with credit card information.

But it should be okay for Tesla to charge a bit more for non Tesla as Tesla includes some of the cost for the supercharger network in the price of the vehicle. But maybe that will need to end with the government subsidizing the transition.