Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think energy is priced in. Analysts generally don't account for Tesla energy in their spreadsheets.

Unlike FSD and Optimus, it doesn't require any technology breakthrough whatsoever.
That's the problem with Tesla Energy. The only advantage Tesla has with Energy is Elon's grand plans and his willingness to execute them. With automobiles, Tesla has that, plus a huge lead in technology. Energy is another area where Tesla needs to "show me the money".

That's the problem with Tesla Energy. The only advantage Tesla has with Energy is Elon's grand plans and his willingness to execute them. With automobiles, Tesla has that, plus a huge lead in technology. Energy is another area where Tesla needs to "show me the money".
I do think Tesla has a technology advantage in battery storage. Nobody has as much experience with large-scale battery management systems as Tesla.

The other advantage is the brand. If you are thinking about grid-scale storage, Tesla is always in the conversation.

I think the whole object of growth investing is to get in before they show you the money.

Sadly it’s China’s zero covid policy if they don’t change it I can’t see the factory reopening in q2. it’s all looking a bit *sugar*. fud levels will go up and stock will go down. perhaps this will lead to some more good buying prices...
You are going on record that it is likely / possible for all factories in Shanghai to be shut down for the next 11 weeks?

Sure, whatever you say, pal.

Time will tell, but battery storage requires excellent cell life to maximize ROI. With energy storage, current chemistry dictates the unit needs to be replaced every XX years. You wouldn't catch me dropping that kind of coin on just anybody.

You are going on record that it is likely / possible for all factories in Shanghai to be shut down for the next 11 weeks?

Sure, whatever you say, pal.
Asked my parents about the situation in Shanghai. Have no insight on when the government is backing off. Distributing food to the people is currently a gigantic cluster F as lots of meat products spoiled due to logistical problems. IMO, if this continues, the lockdown may kill more people than Covid as social unrest is building fast.

Time will tell, but battery storage requires excellent cell life to maximize ROI. With energy storage, current chemistry dictates the unit needs to be replaced every XX years. You wouldn't catch me dropping that kind of coin on just anybody.
That's why I'm so bullish on Tesla energy. LFP batteries have a cycle life that is several times that of NMC. The current megapack has a 20 year warranty. I expect an LFP megapack to last much longer.

However, I have had trouble finding exactly what that 20 year warranty covers. If anyone has info on that I'd love to know.

Relevant post and thread from the UK section where people compare Tesla Powerwalls to the competition - Powerwall versus Givenergy batteries.

That's why I'm so bullish on Tesla energy. LFP batteries have a cycle life that is several times that of NMC. The current megapack has a 20 year warranty. I expect an LFP megapack to last much longer.

However, I have had trouble finding exactly what that 20 year warranty covers. If anyone has info on that I'd love to know.
Most large commercial utility-level deployments have negotiated terms for maintenance and warranty. Smaller to that of large aircraft purchases. They have posted prices, but as the scale rises so too does the negotiated terms.

I have not been involved in one of those for a long time. When I was there were some very large ones. The variations have always surprised me. Hint: with both electric utilities and airlines, brand loyalty can be done, but the vendor will pay dearly for that. One fo the largest variable is in delivery times and penalties for late delivery. Tesla has been exceedingly competent in that respect by indications from South Australia, part fo which were does semi-publicly.

Relevant post and thread from the UK section where people compare Tesla Powerwalls to the competition - Powerwall versus Givenergy batteries.
I'm not as bullish on Powerwall, mostly because it is tied to solar. I think Tesla's residential solar will continue to be a slow-growing business and powerwall will grow slowly along with it.

Megapack is a different story. Governments and utilities have the money to spend on big, expensive projects. As soon as these new LFP battery factories ramp up, Tesla can grow the Megapack business very fast with very high margins.

Most large commercial utility-level deployments have negotiated terms for maintenance and warranty. Smaller to that of large aircraft purchases. They have posted prices, but as the scale rises so too does the negotiated terms.

I have not been involved in one of those for a long time. When I was there were some very large ones. The variations have always surprised me. Hint: with both electric utilities and airlines, brand loyalty can be done, but the vendor will pay dearly for that. One fo the largest variable is in delivery times and penalties for late delivery. Tesla has been exceedingly competent in that respect by indications from South Australia, part fo which were does semi-publicly.
Thanks. Your insight was very helpful.

I wonder how much selling is due to taxes. People cashing in on TSLA during the year and now have a hefty tax bill due, so they sell some more TSLA to cover their tax bill.
I was thinking I would need to do that until I started selling puts and covered taxes + added back all shares sold. selling shares is not really needed it seems. just patience & timing

Reactions: UCF3 and cbh03
I wonder how much selling is due to taxes. People cashing in on TSLA during the year and now have a hefty tax bill due, so they sell some more TSLA to cover their tax bill.
I did not cash in on any TSLA as i am not selling for a long time, i spent all my spare $$ on TSLA and i still have a hefty tax bill due.....:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I do think Tesla has a technology advantage in battery storage. Nobody has as much experience with large-scale battery management systems as Tesla.

The other advantage is the brand. If you are thinking about grid-scale storage, Tesla is always in the conversation.

I think the whole object of growth investing is to get in before they show you the money.
I agree with this.

I agree but most people don't know this so it comes back to, as Usain put it, show me the money.

Reactions: petit_bateau
Imagine for a moment the competitive advantage you have if you knew 3 years ago lithium prices were going to increase due to supply constraints?

How big is the price gap between what Tesla pays for raw materials versus their competition?

There has to be billions of unrealized value sitting in their contacts with suppliers.

Also, is Musk being a little coy here? We know they are investing in mining and have some mining rights or land for mining operations already.