Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The earnings call next week will have a huge impact on the SP this quarter. If they say that chips are still coming in, chips were the rate limiting step, and Shanghai can increase production the rest of the quarter to make up for lost time, then the SP will quickly recover. If they cast any doubt on Q2 production....
Who needs them to cast doubt on Q2 production? We're quite capable of GIGACASTING doubt all on our own!

Excellent interview of Walter Isaacson (who's been chosen to write an autobiography of Elon) on CNBC - about Twitter (he doesn't spill any special information, but is very accurate in his assessment, in line with what we at TMC know of Elon's temperament* in particular he says " .. I think he would say, if we are going to make this (Twitter) a great product, we'll have to work a hell of a lot harder " - but also on Elon's teams achievements this past week, Tesla Giga Texas and SpaceX sending 4 (private) astronauts to the space station.

So, the usual long term super positive outlook for TSLA the SP, but also as usual nothing relevant about short or mid term outlook for TSLA.
Hyper bullish for the super long term tho as there would be less FUD with a better designed Twitter, which is the de facto PR voice of Tesla.

(*) hopefully tho we'll be able to get the insider view in some X years once that book is written, possibly discussions between Elon and Jack last year which may have led to Jack leaving Twitter for Block/ Square, clearing the path for Elon tackling a Twitter overhaul - eg. as Isaacson says in the interview, removing bots and spam would reduce numbers growth, which most Board members would see as a negative for the company.

EMSK.twitter.isaacson.b.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent interview of Walter Isaacson (who's been chosen to write an autobiography of Elon) on CNBC - about Twitter (he doesn't spill any special information, but is very accurate in his assessment, in line with what we at TMC know of Elon's temperament* in particular he says " .. I think he would say, if we are going to make this (Twitter) a great product, we'll have to work a hell of a lot harder " - but also on Elon's teams achievements this past week, Tesla Giga Texas and SpaceX sending 4 (private) astronauts to the space station.

So, the usual long term super positive outlook for TSLA the SP, but also as usual nothing relevant about short or mid term outlook for TSLA.
Hyper bullish for the super long term tho as there would be less FUD with a better designed Twitter, which is the de facto PR voice of Tesla.

(*) hopefully tho we'll be able to get the insider view in some X years once that book is written, possibly discussions between Elon and Jack last year which may have led to Jack leaving Twitter for Block/ Square, clearing the path for Elon tackling a Twitter overhaul - eg. as Isaacson says in the interview, removing bots and spam would reduce numbers growth, which most Board members would see as a negative for the company.

View attachment 792575

Always cracks me up the things they put into headlines on these things.

Screen Shot 2022-04-11 at 4.32.51 PM.png

I think it's far more likely the board's reversal than Musk's.

...Elon buys 10% of Twitter...

Twitter Board: Elon, come join us, we could use your sage advice and we will listen to you.
Musk: Sure whatever we need to fix this.

...10 Tweets later...

Twitter Board: Elon, you're on the board, you can't say things like that!
Musk: DaFuq I Can't.
Twitter Board: This isn't going to work if you don't want to play ball...
Musk: 🖕

The board didn't think about this too well...

1649723047685.png

Regards Covid, Shanghai and likelihood of factory reopening - news today of two new variants (BA.4 & BA.5) which are both much more contagious than Omicron, and contain a mutation from Delta that makes it more likely to cause disease.

This is not good for anyone.

View attachment 792609
I didn’t find information saying it was more dangerous . Could you post where you found this information because All I could read was five cases in South Africa and all had mild symptoms.

Regards Covid, Shanghai and likelihood of factory reopening - news today of two new variants (BA.4 & BA.5) which are both much more contagious than Omicron, and contain a mutation from Delta that makes it more likely to cause disease.

This is not good for anyone.

View attachment 792609

I got my second Covid19 booster shot (4 shots in total) last week at a VA clinic. Almost all in the long queue on Wednesday were fellow Vietnam War veterans. We learned to be careful during that war, and continue to take the precautions needed to survive.

I didn’t find information saying it was more dangerous . Could you post where you found this information because All I could read was five cases in South Africa and all had mild symptoms.
The L452R pathogenic mutation present had higher disease causing ability in Delta (it was not present in Omicron). So while this is currently being labeled as a more contagious variant of OmicRon, its impact may become more descriptive as a more contagious version of Delta.

Now China still has a quarantine system at its border, but given the increased transmission of the new variants, it is unlikely to stay out of China. Once in it would make zero-covid via lockdowns even more unlikely to succeed.

I don’t mean to sound callous when talking about human suffering, but with regards to Tesla specifically, the worse the outbreaks in China become the “better” it may be in the longer term for factory restart if it means zero covid policy is abandoned. We arent there yet though.

Another retreat day for TSLA. Then traders kept pounding it down in after-hours trading despite no fresh Tesla news, and the averages remaining fairly steady. This may be related to margin calls following the drop from April 4, and April pre-deadline tax selling. Of course, Elon setting himself for excited media headlines may not have been helpful, even though they were essentially unrelated to Tesla.

I know its a bit early but can we focus on earnings ... this thread is getting a bit testy 😡 ... historically a good time to load up on some discount chairs:p

.... sold some index funds ... dry powder is ready .... if this Shanghai lockdown continues there should be some good discounts to be had

not advice:p
Funny, I think those days are over. No more excited optimism going into earnings.

We're a handful of trading days away from massive earnings and it's all doom and gloom.

Funny, I think those days are over. No more excited optimism going into earnings.

We're a handful of trading days away from massive earnings and it's all doom and gloom.
Market already discounting results. Momos and bears forecasting shutdown until September and trading accordingly. Snapback will be ferocious but will not last until clarity on production.

We will have record earnings.

Market already discounting results. Momos and bears forecasting shutdown until September and trading accordingly. Snapback will be ferocious but will not last until clarity on production.

We will have record earnings.
It feels like this quarter, more than last, is going to be driven by forward guidance than reported earnings. Market feels a bit testy as you mention.

Since it's late, I'll share a rumor, but take it with a grain of salt.

Whispers on Reddit that the Model Y SR AWD will be priced at $59,990, or $3,000 below the LR AWD.

It was corroborated by a reputable user, as well as other rumors heard by a mod.

Initially surprised at the small difference given going SR->LR on a Model 3 is $9000, but I suppose you're also getting an extra drive unit with the 3 while both Ys are already AWD.

Since it's late, I'll share a rumor, but take it with a grain of salt.

Whispers on Reddit that the Model Y SR AWD will be priced at $59,990, or $3,000 below the LR AWD.

It was corroborated by a reputable user, as well as other rumors heard by a mod.
That will insure no one buys it and goes to LR or the savings on the pack is so great the margin is much better for Tesla VS say a non-4680 LR.

View attachment 792575
Oh I can’t wait. This man has written so many best sellers. One that I read recently and highly recommended “The code breaker: Jennifer Dowdna”