Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of the main things I think TSLA bulls fail to account for is the mathematics of probabilities. I think there is some fancy math rule, I might not describe it well but will try. Let's say one assigns a probability of FSD coming true by year 2025 as 50%. Robot of 25%, robotaxi 25%, Truck 50%. Well to come up with the chance of all of those things coming true by 2025, one has to multiply those probabilities (.25 x .5 x .5 x .25) to get a 1.56 % chance of all of that coming true. So modeling some future value based upon predictions gets to be very difficult and complicated.
You could have also included a probability for success with high-volume production of dry-cathode 4680's.

Exactly.
Elon's Asperger's helped him to become an excellent engineer. However, it inhabits him in the area of social interactions, human communication nuances.
His achievements with SpaceX and Tesla are all about engineering. Twitter is all about social interactions, human communication.
This endeavor is simply not a good fit for him personally.

This is a valid point, up to a point. That is, this is true in the moment while he is actually interacting. Evaluating what happened after the fact is actually something those on the spectrum do to create coping mechanisms for such situations.

From a perspective of analyzing and identifying problems, as well as potential solutions, he is very well equipped and capable. Asperger's folk can excel in this, despite their problems functioning "normally" in any given moment.

Building a social site in such a way as to encourage the silent majority to take part in order to damp the strong voice of the vocal minority may be tricky, but he is very likely the best person to select team members and assign tasks, while steering their efforts and monitoring the results. The goal should be to have a site that rewards those who oscillate around a happy medium of bias and discourage those who swing to the fringes toward more open-mindedness.

As an active participant in the mechanism (Twitter) already, the additional burden, once he has the ball rolling, likely won't have a significant impact on his other efforts.

The Model 3 "Production Hell" didn't slow down SpaceX,, Boring Co., and other projects, did it? He had good people assigned to those tasks with clearly defined goals to achieve.

Encouraging polite discourse and good manners is really something everyone should be doing more of. All Elon wants to do is make this possible by eliminating the existing lean toward a biased output on the site.

Okay, bring on the dislikes! I've shared this kind of stuff before and nobody provided any constructive criticism. I think it makes the best argument for bears and analysts.

In the TED talk this week, Musk said the robot would be more valuable than the car business, thought first working prototype in 2023. I think modeling some future value for this (and the robotaxi network) is akin to investing in a pharmaceutical company with only a stage three drug trial or a lithium company that only has signed contracts giving them claim to lithium in the ground. No real product yet exists to sell, yet there is hope and chance of value creation.

What most impresses me is the 4680 battery now available in cars. I'll be further impressed as they scale production of that battery.

I do think TSLA might just accomplish all of their goals. But along with that might comes a chance of failure. One of the main things I think TSLA bulls fail to account for is the mathematics of probabilities. I think there is some fancy math rule, I might not describe it well but will try. Let's say one assigns a probability of FSD coming true by year 2025 as 50%. Robot of 25%, robotaxi 25%, Truck 50%. Well to come up with the chance of all of those things coming true by 2025, one has to multiply those probabilities (.25 x .5 x .5 x .25) to get a 1.56 % chance of all of that coming true. So modeling some future value based upon predictions gets to be very difficult and complicated. So if things model some future value of 4T based upon all of those things coming true, there is a very low probability of it happening. Even if you said that each of those had a 75% chance, the math says only 21% chance of all of it happening.

So lets say one can rationalize some future market cap of 4T in 2025. I then have to come up with a present value. I've seen others choose lower discount percent, but what I've always done is figure a 20% discount per year. So in 2024 they would be worth 3.2T. 2023 2.56 T, and this year just 2T. For a super high potential valuation, at some reasonable chance of failure, I am not sure this is worth investing into at this point.

This is why I have a tough time modeling for future products not yet available.
Any long-term predictions about virtually any company have about the same viability of trying to accurately predict the weather on any given day, 5 years from now. There are simply too many variables to account for. One thing decades of engineering has taught me is that your "output" or analysis is only as good as the assumptions made for your inputs. And even in relatively simple thermo-mechanical systems, minor details or variations can have a huge impact on your output. In the case of Tesla, we can't predict what the competition is doing, what governments will do to manipulate the playing field, what new technologies will be developed, what worldwide pandemics or wars will impact markets and strategic materials. Combine that with the new technologies, products and fields of endeavor that Tesla is just entering, or many enter in the future. Trying to predict the stock value 5 years from now is a fun exercise, and I enjoy the heck out of the discussion. And I'm extremely bullish on the future of Tesla and Elon's other endeavors. But hard predictions of the long-term future PT? Too many variables to have any confidence in the output.

One thing I've learned over the last decade or so-never bet against Elon. I remember watching programs about Tesla in the era of the original roadster and some of the future goals. My though was-yeah, right. This computer geek thinks he's going to start and run an auto company and compete with GM, Ford or Toyota. I expected a spectacular failure-and am very happy to have been proven spectacularly wrong. When I heard he was starting a "space company", something that has required the resources of a nation state-and that he's going to land re-usable rockets by setting them down tail first like a bad 1950's sci-fy movie-my first thought were similar-but far less confident after being proved wrong once. Now when I see how far Tesla has come with FSD (yes, we're not there yet-but so close), when he talks about herds of humanoid robots like iRobot-I listen. Same when looking at his plans for power generation and grid-level storage. Unlike most promoting these things that I look at as engineering-illiterate dreamers or scammers-when Elon says it-I listen.

To me, the interesting take-away from Elon's success isn't the technology or the businesses themselves. Elon is a great engineer-but again, he's only one guy, and he didn't do all these things himself. The interesting aspect is how does he identify the individuals, the skill sets, brings them all together and develops the business culture that inspires and drives his teams to do things no one thought possible. If we can learn from that and train a generation of Elon's, we have changed the world (and by "we", I don't mean us sitting here banging on our keyboards). And I think that aspect is something sadly missing. I see all kinds of youtube videos, articles and discussions of the technology, of the business, of Elon's "mean tweets". But as far as his leadership methods? Mostly crickets (at least from what I've found).

That also means the value of the shares is drastically diluted. This is not a good thing for the shareholders-and my understanding is that the board does have a fiduciary responsibility to the shareholders, not just their own egos.
The enactment of a poison pill is illogical and perhaps illegal. The ultimate decision to sell the company is up to the shareholders. This move, by the board, to usurp the will of the shareholders, would no doubt evolve into a breach of duty lawsuit.

It's probably too early to be mathing, but independent odds do multiply, and dependant add. So, in that, @MABMAB is correct.
Odds of rolling 2 sixes is 1/6 * 1/6, each due to each roll being independent. Odds of both die being 5 or 6: (1/6 * 1/6) + (1/6 * 1/6) since it must not be 5 in order to be six.

Odds of a truck with FSD: .5*.5=25%
Odds of a truck and no FSD: .5*(1-.5)=25%
Odds of no truck, but we get FSD: (1-.5)*.5=25%
Odds of at least one of truck and FSD happening=25%+25%+25%=75%
More simply: 1-((1-.5)*(1-.5))=75% i.e. 100% minus odds of both failing.

If we ignore the FSD/taxi linkage, the odds of none of those things happening is (1-.25)*(1-.5)*(1-.5)*(1-.25)=0.14 meaning the odds of at least one highly profitable product being produced is is 1-.14 or 86%.
This is really informative (I respect your math!)
Somebody should think about applying this sort of thing to betting on professional sports, I bet they would make a killing!

We can all agree that human nature has limitations. But I'm willing to consider the possibility that smart rules and engineering can handle those limitations better than Twitter currently does.

Traffic lights prevent a lot of accidents from selfish humans trying to drive home fast.

Elon already mentioned in his TED talk several fixes to make Twitter more trusted and effective:
1) an Edit button that deletes all Likes and Retweets of the edited tweet
2) open-sourcing the algorithm, such as posting it on GitHub

But I don't "expect him to come up with fixes" all by himself. Elon recruits the finest minds in the world to work for him.
1) Honestly what does an Edit button that does that accomplish? If you have a typo you can copy it now and delete it and then boom nothing. Then paste in an edited version and tweet it again. Edit on twitter is the most asked for thing that is not needed in any piece of software IMHO. Edit is in no way a difficult thing for twitter to do. An intern can likely do it in an afternoon.
2) Ok could lead to some improvements. I think the amount is overblown and boy the arguments that could go around. Making algorithm push down things like hate speech could lead to some pretty intense arguments.

Honestly the best things twitter can do is detect and disable bots unless they are registered bots with a legitimate purpose like for customer service. Detect and disable troll accounts, etc.

Reactions: jhm
Social sciences do not have absolutes...
Neither do physical sciences. The essence of science is endless refinement and new discovery. Hence, for basic proof, just look at the dates of discovery in the growing periodic table of elements:

The use of First Principles does not have static results, but constant innovation and discovery. Thus it is with social sciences also. The principles are the same, the statistical precision of measurement and thus correlations are different.

There is one highly specific arena in Physics, for example, that has accuracy and precision quote similar to much social psychological research (Response modeling, preferences measurements, etc) and Geophysics (materials exploration, reserves assessment, etc). In both of these, one social science, the other 'hard' science, the correlations and processes are similar.

In specific reference for these two examples there is a specific point. In the -1970's-1980's when LISP was first being deployed the first commercial AI applications were expert systems.

maybe the first, was this:
Slightly later was the deployment of the same technology used in Prospector to deploy an AI commercial lending system at Union Bank of California around 1982.

This example, which i know because I worked on the latter one myself, shows that the approaches and scientific processes for social science and physical science are identical.

Not too many years later my entire team developing commercial and consumer financial decisions was composed of physicists, primarily geophysicist, but others also. In materials calculations fo parts reliability and Mean time before failure (MTBF) and others factors deal with quite analogous statistics with search for low probability, high impact events, such as turbine fan failures in, say, Turbojet engines. Guessing wrong on such issues can produce the De Havilland Comet, DC-10 cargo doors, B737MAX and B787 famous issues.

Sorry to belabor these points, but... the success of SpaceX and Tesla has been driven by an exceptional mastery of these issues, with an amazing ability to find ways to do seemingly impossible things. Much of the materials advances in battery, BMS, motor and manufacturing have been driven by innovation driven by a simple maxim; it si possible to do the 'impossible' by constantly coping with tiny statistical variations. A common word used is 'nano technology'. BY definition, in that world statistical probability reigns.

The is no such thing as certainty in physics. A. Einstein famously said "God does not play dice", but he soon admitted he was wrong.
To be mundane: The Gigapress could not have happened without uncertainly in science.

Okay, bring on the dislikes! I've shared this kind of stuff before and nobody provided any constructive criticism. I think it makes the best argument for bears and analysts.

In the TED talk this week, Musk said the robot would be more valuable than the car business, thought first working prototype in 2023. I think modeling some future value for this (and the robotaxi network) is akin to investing in a pharmaceutical company with only a stage three drug trial or a lithium company that only has signed contracts giving them claim to lithium in the ground. No real product yet exists to sell, yet there is hope and chance of value creation.

What most impresses me is the 4680 battery now available in cars. I'll be further impressed as they scale production of that battery.

I do think TSLA might just accomplish all of their goals. But along with that might comes a chance of failure. One of the main things I think TSLA bulls fail to account for is the mathematics of probabilities. I think there is some fancy math rule, I might not describe it well but will try. Let's say one assigns a probability of FSD coming true by year 2025 as 50%. Robot of 25%, robotaxi 25%, Truck 50%. Well to come up with the chance of all of those things coming true by 2025, one has to multiply those probabilities (.25 x .5 x .5 x .25) to get a 1.56 % chance of all of that coming true. So modeling some future value based upon predictions gets to be very difficult and complicated. So if things model some future value of 4T based upon all of those things coming true, there is a very low probability of it happening. Even if you said that each of those had a 75% chance, the math says only 21% chance of all of it happening.

So lets say one can rationalize some future market cap of 4T in 2025. I then have to come up with a present value. I've seen others choose lower discount percent, but what I've always done is figure a 20% discount per year. So in 2024 they would be worth 3.2T. 2023 2.56 T, and this year just 2T. For a super high potential valuation, at some reasonable chance of failure, I am not sure this is worth investing into at this point.

This is why I have a tough time modeling for future products not yet available.

I arrive at a 2025 share price of $3,815 on the auto & energy businesses alone.
Robotaxis & Optimus are like owning free options that would get the price above $3,815/shr.
That $3,815 share price would be about a $4.4T market cap.

I arrive at the $3,815 price as follows:
2025 Deliveries: 4.7m cars
2025 Global Auto market share: 5.6%
2025 GAAP Profit: $54.7B
2025 GAAP EPS: $47.68/Share
2025 Multiple: 80

EPS x Multiple = Share Price
$47.68 x 80 = $3,815

I admit that there needs to be some strong growth beyond 2025 to garner that 80 multiple. As long as Tesla has ample access to batteries, I believe they will grow strongly as they expand their product line and sales footprint.

And for the naysayers that can't believe a car company can carry a $4T valuation:
Tesla today makes on average $15k on each vehicle sold. I estimate by 2025, that will increase to about $17.5k.
Selling 4.7m vehicles at $17.5k gross profit . . . .just do the math.

That's only true if the fourth event (truck) requires the third (robotaxi) to be 100% completed. The third requires the second, and the second the first.

You also have to be careful whats your basis for the probabilities.
You can say: 25% chance of robotaxi, if FSD is solved first. Then it's 50% (FSD) * 25% (robotaxi) = 12.5% that both of them to become true.
Or you say: 25% chance for robotaxi by 2025 and 50% for FSD by 2025, then it's 25% that both of them to become true.

There is some correlation between FSD, robotaxi and robot, but it's not 100%. The truck is very much independent from them.
If there were no correlation, the chances of all four becoming true would simply be the minimum of all probabilities -> 25%.

edit; Well it was too early for math :/ Thanks for the corrections below.
The field you're referring to is statistics, a distinct field with endless applications. It uses math, but it's basic purpose is to figure out what do do when you don't really know why and how something happens. In Physics or human behavior, in all engineering failure probability assessment and wether forecasting. The specific issue, is 'heuristics' which is the way statisticians hide things for which they cannot find causes. Saying 'random' sounds unprofessional so we call it 'heuristic' instead.

As I point out in another post, this subject is the basis for much SpaceX and Tesla progress. Very, very few people have the ability Elon Musk has to imagine what to do about reducing uncertainty. From Zip2 to Falcon 9 and Gigapress, that approach makes the difference between breakthrough and mundane.

This is really informative (I respect your math!)
Somebody should think about applying this sort of thing to betting on professional sports, I bet they would make a killing!
A friend of mine, a geophysicist by training, does make a handsome living evaluating a given horse's expected financial value.
Another one used his fluid dynamics education to evaluate football (i.e. Soccer to the US) field strategies.
Both have ostensibly retired but they keep up with non-gambling gambling.
Statistics, properly used, is almost magical. The key is to know everything you can know and use statistics for the rest.
Assigning guesses without knowing all you can before you use statistics is why it gets a bum rap much of the time.

Forecasts are really fact-intensive, if they're to be useful.

In context, really good accountants, like, for example @The Accountant , is a closely analogous process but usually do not go as far in establishing things such as 'dependent variables' with a name like that.

I do think TSLA might just accomplish all of their goals. But along with that might comes a chance of failure. One of the main things I think TSLA bulls fail to account for is the mathematics of probabilities. I think there is some fancy math rule, I might not describe it well but will try. Let's say one assigns a probability of FSD coming true by year 2025 as 50%. Robot of 25%, robotaxi 25%, Truck 50%. Well to come up with the chance of all of those things coming true by 2025, one has to multiply those probabilities (.25 x .5 x .5 x .25) to get a 1.56 % chance of all of that coming true.
You only multiply the probabilities like this if the events are independent, but in this case they aren’t, so you’d need to estimate conditional probabilities and use Bayes’ Theorem. For instance, being 7 feet tall and playing pro basketball are both maybe 1 in a million odds but if you know that an individual is 7 ft then the NBA probability jumps to maybe 1 in 100.

FSD and Bot are like that because they have in common many of the same preconditions for success so if one is achieved then the likelihood of success for the other goes up a lot.

Additionally, all of Tesla’s tech and business advances are the result of one culture and one design process. Elon himself has a long track record of seemingly improbable entrepreneurial success going back to his Blastar arcade game from his adolescence in the 1980s. This raises the prior probability that his team will eventually accomplish a tough goal even without more information about the challenge.

Let’s reconsider your pharmaceutical and lithium mining examples. If the pharma company had a promising new drug in early development and had a string or f prior hits without any duds, Bayes’ rule would lead to a higher probability that the new one in development will succeed. Likewise, if the mining company had a track record of success we’d see less risk in the lithium clay project.

A discount rate is supposed to measure the opportunity cost of capital. Unless you’re buying TSLA with credit card debt, then 20% would only make sense if you have some other alternative investment you’re extremely confident will post 20% annual returns.

Last edited:
Any long-term predictions about virtually any company have about the same viability of trying to accurately predict the weather on any given day, 5 years from now. There are simply too many variables to account for. One thing decades of engineering has taught me is that your "output" or analysis is only as good as the assumptions made for your inputs. And even in relatively simple thermo-mechanical systems, minor details or variations can have a huge impact on your output. In the case of Tesla, we can't predict what the competition is doing, what governments will do to manipulate the playing field, what new technologies will be developed, what worldwide pandemics or wars will impact markets and strategic materials. Combine that with the new technologies, products and fields of endeavor that Tesla is just entering, or many enter in the future. Trying to predict the stock value 5 years from now is a fun exercise, and I enjoy the heck out of the discussion. And I'm extremely bullish on the future of Tesla and Elon's other endeavors. But hard predictions of the long-term future PT? Too many variables to have any confidence in the output.

One thing I've learned over the last decade or so-never bet against Elon. I remember watching programs about Tesla in the era of the original roadster and some of the future goals. My though was-yeah, right. This computer geek thinks he's going to start and run an auto company and compete with GM, Ford or Toyota. I expected a spectacular failure-and am very happy to have been proven spectacularly wrong. When I heard he was starting a "space company", something that has required the resources of a nation state-and that he's going to land re-usable rockets by setting them down tail first like a bad 1950's sci-fy movie-my first thought were similar-but far less confident after being proved wrong once. Now when I see how far Tesla has come with FSD (yes, we're not there yet-but so close), when he talks about herds of humanoid robots like iRobot-I listen. Same when looking at his plans for power generation and grid-level storage. Unlike most promoting these things that I look at as engineering-illiterate dreamers or scammers-when Elon says it-I listen.

To me, the interesting take-away from Elon's success isn't the technology or the businesses themselves. Elon is a great engineer-but again, he's only one guy, and he didn't do all these things himself. The interesting aspect is how does he identify the individuals, the skill sets, brings them all together and develops the business culture that inspires and drives his teams to do things no one thought possible. If we can learn from that and train a generation of Elon's, we have changed the world (and by "we", I don't mean us sitting here banging on our keyboards). And I think that aspect is something sadly missing. I see all kinds of youtube videos, articles and discussions of the technology, of the business, of Elon's "mean tweets". But as far as his leadership methods? Mostly crickets (at least from what I've found).

I agree with you completely about Elon accomplishing the "impossible" over and over again - well said.

With regards to how Elon manages to create and sustain such high performing teams, I also agree we don't know much... besides inuendo about how severe (but fair?) he is in reacting to staff dumb ideas (couldn't be more cruel than Jobs though!)

Eric Schmidt & Jonathan Rosenberg wrote the book (literally) about how Google works. I'm reading it now and actually a bit disappointed because it's more about management principles than the history of Google. I picked the wrong book for what I wanted to learn about Google, but the book is insightful IMO.

Dave Lee started down the path of asking about Elon's management processes, but Elon didn't like (or understand) what he was asking and we didn't learn anything:

So this critical insight about 'how Elon works' will stay publicly unknown for now. Hopefully one day there will be a bio where Elon looks back and shares his management principles and insights. I loved Ashlee Vance's Musk bio (after which I was convinced to buy TSLA in 2018), but it was more a history of than how Elon manages.

Last edited:
And for the naysayers that can't believe a car company can carry a $4T valuation:
Tesla today makes on average $15k on each vehicle sold. I estimate by 2025, that will increase to about $17.5k.
Selling 4.7m vehicles at $17.5k gross profit . . . .just do the math.

THIS is why I tune my Tesla model very conservatively, because when I enter PE Ratios like 80 for the year 2025 I get huge numbers very similar to what The Accountant has above, and some part of me simply can't believe my stock will be worth THAT MUCH in the next 3-4 years.

Like I look at my accounts today and I still smile in amazement and disbelief, but if The Accountant is correct then I might have myself a heart attack due to sheer shock sometime in the next few years.... 😮

My expectation is that if the board wants to flood the market with new shares, it will dilute the value of existing shares and cost shareholders. Such an action should, at the very least, have to go through a vote of the shareholders before any such action can proceed. From what I've read, a lot of those shares are owned by investment companies, including companies managing IRAs and 401ks. Meaning every investor ends up with the option to vote (please, those more knowledgeable, correct me if I'm wrong).

Ok, you are wrong :)

(well, the dilution is kind of a thing- though a bit more complex since it's mostly diluting the shares the hostile takeover person owns.... as everyone ELSE gets the chance to buy new shares at a discount but that person does not- but I mean wrong on the vote part).

As a few folks have mentioned, twitters articles of incorporation include surprisingly broad powers for the board to fight takeover attempts [B}without[/B] any shareholder approval needed.... one of the reasons it's called out in the articles filed with the SEC is so a potential investor is aware the board has such powers available and can act without their (the shareholders) approval on these matters in certain ways and that can inform their decision to invest in that company or not.

As another example- the board can (without approval from anyone) issue a bunch of preferred shares, with whatever voting rights they specify, as a measure to block a takeover. (this is not unique to twitter and is sometimes called a Blank Check Preferred Stock defense) where they say issue X shares of this stock and each share gets 1000 votes instead of the 1 vote a common share gets.

Now, what do you think these investors are more likely to approve? A payment for their shares at a price 40% over market rate (of an underperforming stock), or a board that wants to dilute their share value in order to maintain their power and ability to censor free speech, in particular conservative speech?

The idea there's a political bias has been pretty thoroughly debunked- not just by the reddit CEO but lots of examples of folks of both leanings making censorship claims... and not just on this specific platform. It's not "political speech" that's banned- it's wildly out of bounds behavior that happens to include political speech.

Bigger issue, does the board have fiduciary responsibilities, requiring them to look out for the financial interests of the shareholders they represent?

They do have a fiduciary responsibility, but it'd be up to courts, usually after the fact, to determine if the measures they took, within the allowed bounds of their granted powers, were in the financial interests of shareholders or not.

It's not nearly as simple as "Elon offers more than the current price, so if they don't take it the shareholders got shafted"-- if it was that simple every takeover bid above current price would have to get approved and that's not remotely the case.

So any anti-takeover measure they take- from rejecting the offer, to poison pills, to the blank check thing I mention, and more- is a balancing act on their part regarding what they CAN legally do up front to block the takeover (which is a lot) versus what they believe they could successfully defend in court after the fact as not violating their fiduciary responsibilities.

Last edited:
You only multiply the probabilities like this if the events are independent, but in this case they aren’t, so you’d need to estimate conditional probabilities and use Bayes’ Theorem. For instance, being 7 feet tall and playing pro basketball are both maybe 1 in a million odds but if you know that an individual is 7 ft then the NBA probability jumps to maybe 1 in 100.

FSD and Bot are like that because they have in common many of the same preconditions for success so if one is achieved then the likelihood of success for the other goes up a lot.

Additionally, all of Tesla’s tech and business advances are the result of one culture and one design process. Elon himself has a long track record of seemingly improbable entrepreneurial success going back to his Blastar arcade game from his adolescence in the 1980s. This raises the prior probability that his team will eventually accomplish a tough goal even without more information about the challenge.

Let’s reconsider your pharmaceutical and lithium mining examples. If the pharma company had a promising new drug in early development and had a string or prior hits without any duds, Bayes’ rule would lead to a higher probability that the new one in development will succeed. Likewise, if the mining company had a track record of success we’d see less risk in the lithium clay project.

A discount rate is supposed to measure the opportunity cost of capital. Unless you’re buying TSLA with credit card debt, then 20% would only make sense if you have some other alternative investment you’re extremely confident will post 20% annual returns.
Great points for me to ponder! Love it. I need to read more on Bayes and conditional probabilities. Thank you!

Bayes rule r/t TSLA and other examples, along with my investment training (books and experience). So many great examples from many sources in essence discuss betting on the successful jockey. Musk has many such examples in his background that helped me invest years ago.

I'm fine using 20% as a discount rate. I have no formal training, don't know how to properly have a discount rate. If I am off, it comes out in my favor. 20% is also the max premium I will pay for LEAPS.