Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think people who are not well verse with Teslas end up getting the wall charger. I almost got the wall charger until I found out it's not required. There's not much on youtube or from Tesla screaming at you that a NEMA 14-50 plug is the way to go.

Well now you have to pay for a NEMA 14-50 and the mobile charger and they dropped the price of the wall charger so I dont’ think NEMA 14-50 is the way to go anymore. I would suggest the Tesla charger with the J1772 connector is ideal right now on the off chance you get something else or a friend or family member needs a charge.

Well now you have to pay for a NEMA 14-50 and the mobile charger and they dropped the price of the wall charger so I dont’ think NEMA 14-50 is the way to go anymore. I would suggest the Tesla charger with the J1772 connector is ideal right now on the off chance you get something else or a friend or family member needs a charge.
Most people I have talked to didn't even know you can charge the Tesla with a NEMA 14-50. Everyone just went straight for the wall connector as it's a "required purchase". My neighbor has a S on order and bought the wall connector months ago. I am the only one between living between two Tesla owners with a Nema14-50.

I’ve used the mobile charger plugged into 120v at home to charge my Model Y since I bought it. I have a Wall Charger but have not had the opportunity to install it yet.

I doubt Musk is lying about the statistics though. A lot of people think a wall charger is required. Lots of folks don’t have spare 220v outlets and installing a new 220v outlet is only marginally less expensive than the wall charger.
In my opinion, removing the charging cable is a mistake, just as it is for Apple to remove their charger. These are premium-priced products, there are a lot of less expensive alternatives. The manufacturing cost of that charging cable can't be over $25 in volume. One disgruntled buyer that got home thinking he could plug into his dryer outlet because he saw it on youtube, or one person that is on a trip and had a similar thought being left stranded, posting on social media or youtube can cost a lot more in terms of loss of good-will than the minimal cost of the cable. But again, that's just my opinion-I'm sure some really smart people were involved in the decision to pull it.

Another margin trigger? Tesla removes "free" mobile connector - it's available for purchase for $400 in the Tesla store (apparently with additional adapters, per Elon).

I always love his usage is "low." I don't use mine unless I need it and when I do it's critical. Same reason I set my lumbar to where I like it and leave it, that does not mean I don't need the lumbar adjustment because I don't change it weekly but they took that off as well and you can't order that. I set my HVAC vents for months and leave it but I still want adjustable vents. Sometime Elon thinks about stats and how he uses things too much.

…The manufacturing cost of that charging cable can't be over $25 in volume….

I’m pretty sure it costs more than $25 for them to manufacture. Lots of copper, a pretty compact high capacity transformer, and the charge computer in the cable all cost a little bit of money. There is a good reason they have multiple adaptors for the various voltages and plug styles rather than just making a separate cable for each.

Reactions: UCF3
Tesla still sells the mobile connector separately. If people think they still need one, they can buy it. But including one with every vehicle by default doesn't make sense when most people also buy a Wall Connector.

People were similarly upset when Tesla made the Homelink automatic garage door opener a paid extra. But they forgot about that pretty quickly.

I think it's a really bad move. I wouldn't go on a road trip without an emergency charging cable. I charge daily with a mobile charger and also keep a spare in the frunk. I think this will be like the decision to close all of their show rooms.
I have two. One to charge the car at home (which stays plugged in) and other for trips. Use it all the time at campsites, B&Bs, etc. Even if I had a Wall Connector, I'd want a 14-50 as a backup. The 14-50 is way more reliable (or perhaps idiot proof) than the Wall Connector based on the various posts.

Another margin trigger? Tesla removes "free" mobile connector - it's available for purchase for $400 in the Tesla store (apparently with additional adapters, per Elon).

This makes me irrationally upset. I know its only $400 but the amount of negative attention it is going to get is not going to be worth it.

This makes me irrationally upset. I know its only $400 but the amount of negative attention it is going to get is not going to be worth it.

Keep in mind, we don't know if there may have been other factors to have spurred this decision. There may be other reasons for removing it as well, just like the lumbar control for the passenger. Maybe IC supplier for the mobile connector are having shortages and difficult to find a separate supplier? I get the feeling that this wasn't just an attempt to increase margins.

What? That's unbelievable. I thought most people were like me, I had a NEMA 14-50 plug put in my garage and for the last 4 years I've been charging my car using the mobile connector plugged into that. Is Elon saying I'm the only person on Earth who did that?

Also the mobile charging connector is Sold Out on Tesla's website. So are people going to be buying cars and there is no way to charge them because you can't order the connector right now?
Exact situation here. Dryer plug plus mobile charger in the garage for the 3.

But now I have a Y on order and I don't care for a mobile connector.

I do think the availability will not be an issue if they stop including one with every new car.

What? That's unbelievable. I thought most people were like me, I had a NEMA 14-50 plug put in my garage and for the last 4 years I've been charging my car using the mobile connector plugged into that. Is Elon saying I'm the only person on Earth who did that?

Also the mobile charging connector is Sold Out on Tesla's website. So are people going to be buying cars and there is no way to charge them because you can't order the connector right now?

FWIW I totally understand them pulling it out of "every car" but since unlike Homelink it doesn't require any difference in factory assembly, it should be an at-purchase-time option.

In short- given how often it's unavailable in the Tesla store, and how there are folks who rely on the charger that comes with the car to charge (that's all I've ever used at home in years of ownership for example) I think they ought to at least include a checkbox during car purchase to include one- to insure even if "90% don't use it" that the 10% who actually need it aren't stuck waiting for it to restock in the store, or forced to buy a 3rd party EVSE that IS in stock.

Too much negativity in this thread today. FSD (and therefore robotaxis) is a solved problem

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

I think most people bought a tesla wall charger with their car. It's an expensive option people didn't have to go with since a dryer plug plus the mobile connector will do. However it appears that maybe over 90% of the people got the wall connector.

The Tesla Wall Connector is not expensive! It's only $495, people pay more than that for metallic paint or some other vanity option. Electrical code almost always allows self-install if desired but it's generally a two hour job for an electrician in the most common scenarios (electrical panel in garage). I installed mine on a pedestal next out by my driveway for under $150 and that includes 35 feet of copper cable. That's the cost of taking your date or SO out for a nice dinner or a show. I get 44 miles per hour on my Model 3. $495 is also the cheapest charging solution I know of from any manufacturer that goes to 48 amps charging speed. It's less expensive than most 30-40A connectors from other makers.

The Mobile Connector is becoming less relevant as charging networks are built out so it makes sense to not include one in every car if the alternative is to tack on a few hundred extra dollars to every car that may or may not ever be used. Tesla charges $275 for their Mobile Connector if you decide you will use it, Porsche charges $1995 for their Mobile charge cable.

I'm surprised to hear you say the Wall Connector is expensive considering it's like having your own personal gas station in your garage or driveway. What's expensive is driving a gasoline vehicle!