Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Zac explained it as a form of reducing one's monthly payment for transport. And if people stop subsidizing poor drivers then everyone wins. Highly predictive accuracy in insurance underwriting is the holy grail for insurance margins.
I had thought Tesla was already doing that or feeding the info to their partners.

If this whole time their only pricing advantage has been their $0 customer acquisition cost, I may need to push my auto gross margin projections even higher…

Excerpt from the link I supplied earlier:

Another exciting part Babcock Ranch’s clean energy program? We house the largest solar-plus-storage system operating in the U.S. today. Created by FPL, these ten large gray steel battery storage units can store 1 megawatt of power and discharge for 4 hours. The new battery storage system ensures a steady supply of power on partly cloudy days and at night.
Drove through Babcock Ranch early last month and was a bit disappointed. Hoped it would be more walkable focused with more mixed use development scattered throughout. Lots of walking trails, but was hoping for businesses throughout the complex. Also from 1st site wasnt as EV focused as thought it would be.

Class clown at it again
1650324120876.png

Last I checked night lasts longer than 4 hours...
Dude, we both know what the copy was trying to say.
Each one is 1MWh and has a peak discharge rate of 1/4 MW (C/4).
They don't go flat in 4 hours with no load.
Whether 10MWh 2.5MW is sufficient? Shrugg. If they had smart charge connectors with load control, I'd feel better. 50A*80%*240V = 10kW ish, so each battery can only handle 25 cars charging simultaneously. 25 cars with 80kWh packs at 50% SOC is also 1MWh.

@Curt Renz, maybe give em some pointers on proper units...

Tesla insurance has expanded to Oregon, Virginia and Colorado (source).

It is now available in Arizona, California, Colorado, Illinois, Ohio, Oregon, Texas and Virginia.
What about an umbrella policy? We must protect our new found wealth. Hit a bus full of doctors and we're poor again.

Can't find an option to check my insurance quotes on the app, here in Virginia. Anyone else able to sign up here?

Not sure if it's my driving or if it's not enabled in the app yet.
I don't know if it's a tesla app setting, or something about my phone, but I've noticed that I often end up having to completely delete the app and reinstall it in order to get the new features. Had to do that for insurance today.... Their quote ended up being 30 bucks more per 6 months than what I'm paying right now, so I won't be switching since I don't want to have to drive like a grandma on xnanax to maintain a good safety score/premium. Also, the lowest deductible tesla insurance only offers is $500 vs my current $250.

Some googling says
  • US limits pumping speed to 10 gallons per minute (I don't think I've ever filled up a < 20 gallon tank in less than a few minutes though, so I don't think all pumps are created equal much less to this limit ... )
  • Aston Martin DB11 gets 18 city / 24 highway MPG, let's call it 21 MPG mixed
  • Plaid S can apparently do up to 5 minutes at 250kW depending on SOC
  • Plaid S gets 102 city / 99 highway MPGe (with 1 gallon of gasoline being ~ 33.7 kWh, 330 and 340 Wh/mi), let's call it 101 MPGe mixed
Therefore 2 minutes, theoretical max range added is 42 miles for the Aston, and (based on this article) almost 28 miles for the Plaid S (assuming we arrive at optimal SOC). But wait! we should subtract the time fiddling with the gas cap and payment for the Aston, let's call that about 30 seconds. Now we're at 32 miles vs 28 miles. Ok, fine, still not winning. Need another 10 seconds or so delay on the Aston. Maybe the card reader is slow, or the pump isn't running at full speed. When we get 350kW charging, for at least a little bit during peak charge rate, we should be gaining miles faster, at least.

But since the context was not purely BEV vs ICE, but BEV vs FCEV or Bio/synthfuel ICE... Well we know Hydrogen is going to be way more trouble and slower than ICE (even though they claim to be much faster, I've seen many reports about having to wait for the hydrogen station to repressurize before they can fuel their FCEV). Though Bio/synthfuel will presumably be the same speed, roughly, as regular gasoline.

FCEV is a dead end for many reasons, and while there are niches where Bio/synthfuel may still be king, if we're assuming "100% clean energy", then BEVs still have a huge cost advantage that will be hard to ignore since "clean energy" fuels are basically just EVs with extra steps.

So Bond can keep his few seconds of advantage, while he stresses out about fuel costs and villains. I'll stick to BEVs which I almost never need to stop to charge, because my home is my fuel station, and when I'm on a road trip, well, I'm only human - I need a break every few hours anyways.
I like your analysis and it is good for trips. But we should remember that 80% of EV charging is done at home where it takes me less than 5 seconds saving those many worthless trips to a gas station.

I like your analysis and it is good for trips. But we should remember that 80% of EV charging is done at home where it takes me less than 5 seconds saving those many worthless trips to a gas station.
Yep. I actually like it when friends ask me the famous “how long does it take to charge?” Question when they see I have a Tesla.
I smile, and say “I don’t know” and wait.
They look at me confused…
I then explain it charges while I sleep… right in my driveway, I don’t need to go anywhere. Every morning I wake up to a full “tank”… and I don’t care how long it takes as long as it’s done doing it’s thing by morning…
I then look at them as it’s starts sinking in 😉

Now I added a new thing, I show them my charge stats from the app 🤯

I don't know if it's a tesla app setting, or something about my phone, but I've noticed that I often end up having to completely delete the app and reinstall it in order to get the new features. Had to do that for insurance today.... Their quote ended up being 30 bucks more per 6 months than what I'm paying right now, so I won't be switching since I don't want to have to drive like a grandma on xnanax to maintain a good safety score/premium. Also, the lowest deductible tesla insurance only offers is $500 vs my current $250.
Yes, I also had to delete app and reinstall to get the quote. $50 more per month than I am paying now for Progressive. Hard pass.

Last edited:
Yes, I also had to delete app and reinstall to get the quote. $50 more per month than I am paying now for Progressive. Hard pass.
Isn't the Tesla insurance set up to reduce the rate as it gathers data? (when the driver operates to their satisfaction)

If so, wouldn't it be expected to price initially higher, then go lower in cost as acceptable data is gathered to justify a better rate?

Any feedback from actual customers offering denial or support of such being the case?

YMMV. I believe Sean Mitchell on twitter/youtube (from Colorado) said his insurance was 5x cheaper!

Maybe he drives like a grandma? 🤷‍♂️

EDIT: found it - Makes me wonder what James Stephenson's quote would be (he says he averages some insane efficiency rating like 180w/mi).

From what I understand the insurance rate starts out with the assumption that you have a score of 90. If you can keep your score above 90 the rate will drop, if you can't keep a score above 90 you should probably switch to a provider that doesn't track your driving (unless somehow Tesla Insurance is still cheaper).

1650339263787.png

Attachments

• 1650339197781.png
    1650339197781.png
    591.7 KB · Views: 46
From what I understand the insurance rate starts out with the assumption that you have a score of 90. If you can keep your score above 90 the rate will drop, if you can't keep a score above 90 you should probably switch to a provider that doesn't track your driving (unless somehow Tesla Insurance is still cheaper).

You are correct. I have Tesla Insurance. You are on the 90 score for the first two months regardless. I'm also an FSD Beta tester, so I'm driving in FSD 98% of of the time. I had a 100 safety score until the day it rained so hard FSD would not engage. I got a false FCW and dropped my score down to a 99. At a 90 SS my rate with Tesla was about $45 less expensive than my previous carrier for similar coverage. The only big difference being I carried a $250 deductible on comp. The lowest deductible with TI is $500. With a 99/100 SS I'm saving about $60 a month.

Pretty easy to keep a good safety score using AP/FSD Beta. Driving manually it will be tough keeping a really high score depending on your driving conditions.