Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't like the idea of some big company controlling my driving behavior thru a hidden algorithm that increases or decreases my insurance based on what they consider to be "good driving". I'm a "free driving" absolutist (within the law). These algorithms should be open sourced on github so we can all see and comment on what a bad driver is.

Edit: After considering the issue some more, I am still against it. They want to control our driving behavior based on what a statistician thinks is the ultimate low-risk driver. We would all become robot drivers, then you might as well take away the steering wheel. The algorithm should only consider one item -- when number of days since your last accident increases, then your insurance goes lower. How you drive to lower your accident rate shouldn't matter.
Flip side of that might be that Tesla will develop a lot of great driver safety training to offer via critiquing driver's actions; they could allow us to opt in to that.

Glad they’re lowering expectations. Under promise, overdeliver.

It’s been 9 years since I owned an ICE, but I still remember that pumping gas is much faster.

In your example, the ICE car adds 420 miles in 2 minutes. A Prius could add 1000miles of range in 2 minutes.
Not really as the Prius tank is not large enough for 1000 miles so one will need to make at least two gas stops.

Courtesy of David Tayar on Twitter - not that all these credit ratings mean much for HODLRs esp as we know how the SP really is moved, but part of the 24x7 real time greatest show on earth. Ahead of some spectacular volatility or lack thereof.

View attachment 795322

FYI, in one of the recent interviews, Elon quipped about his time, and estimated Tesla was getting roughly $2b/week in revenue. That's 100b for the year! He also mentioned a half hour meeting where he saved the company over $200 million. All I could think of was the removal of the included mobile charger.

What are everyone’s thoughts concerning tomorrow? 😊
FUD seems to be pretty high, which means "they" are nervous...therefore it's likely to be good!

Some quotes:
Tesla Reports Earnings Wednesday. Prepare for Disappointment.

Joe Biden’s unwillingness to lavish the pioneering company with praise.

Tesla Recalls Another 594,717 Vehicles. It’s the Eighth Time This Year.

Last edited:
What are everyone’s thoughts concerning tomorrow? 😊
Concensus seems to be a drop after earnings tomorrow, therefore I see us crossing 1200 just after GOOG earnings next Tuesday and moving up from there.

The numbers have gotten too far out of whack, PE is too "wrong". A violent correction to the upside is needed to restore uncertainty in the TSLA options market.

Concensus seems to be a drop after earnings tomorrow, therefore I see us crossing 1200 just after GOOG earnings next Tuesday and moving up from there.

The numbers have gotten too far out of whack, PE is too "wrong". A violent correction to the upside is needed to restore uncertainty in the TSLA options market.
The negative narrative is already going out. Q1 numbers don't matter because Tesla China has been shut down for a month. Q2 will be horrible. Sell sell sell!
Wall Street and the option market have owned tsla for a year. I don't know when that will change but I'm not betting / playing options against it changing this week.

The negative narrative is already going out. Q1 numbers don't matter because Tesla China has been shut down for a month. Q2 will be horrible. Sell sell sell!
Wall Street and the option market have owned tsla for a year. I don't know when that will change but I'm not betting / playing options against it changing this week.
It may come down to if Elon shows up on the call. Zach can lay earnings out on the table, reiterate 2022 growth, update on Shanghai reopening....and share price takes off on sick earnings.

Or Elon could show up and feed the algos all sorts of crazy talk of difficulties.

Ummm....this is awesome. Never seen something like this before....

This post is sensational... with all the good and bad that suggests. It's comparing apples to oranges. Nevertheless, the prices enable us to do a fairer cost comparison.

My math suggests it costs about one third to drive a Tesla Model LR compared to driving a Toyota Camry (does that look about right?):

1650383516782.png

Much less sensational than comparing price / gallon to price / KWh, but a more important conclusion IMHO.

Yes, the Model 3 LR is more expensive to buy than a base Toyota Camry, but that's not what the price of fuel is comparing.

And there are other variables that could tilt the balance even further. There's lower maintenance costs. And by charging overnight at home here in Ontario (my standard practice - you can't supply your own discount gas!), I get CA$0.082 ¢ / KWh (about US$0.065 ¢ / KWh) and gas is CA$6.85 (US$5.82), so the ratio here in Canada is about 22% as expensive as driving an ICE!

Sources:
https://www.sterlingmccalltoyota.com/2022-toyota-camry-gas-tank-size/#:~:text=The Camry has a maximum,gallon city and 39mpg highway.

Last edited: