Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Very helpful! Where did you find this? I didn’t know Washington sales and price data was available.

Available at Vehicle Registration Transactions by Department of Licensing | Data.WA | State of Washington

Washington State sales are probably a pretty good proxy for all US sales, probably better than one could do by making an educated guess based upon price hikes, dates, estimated take rates of various features, etc.

Of course, this wouldn't include any FSD revenue from people trying to avoid paying registration $$ by buying FSD after the sale. But I have a feeling most people don't strategize too much to save a few bucks.

I doubt he's working alone - this is probably fully funded by the forces of evil. They chose a billionaire among themselves to be the front man so that it would be plausible that he's acting alone.
Perhaps people for FSD should call the number and say how they disagree with the ad and how misleading it is.

The WA state sales data in chart format and tabular format sorted by model.

Findings
1) For Q2, Q3 and Q4, the third month of each had the highest prices, suggesting that March too will have had higher prices than Jan & Feb.

2) 3/Y/X prices have clearly been creeping up over time. No idea why S is trending downwards.

3) WA prices have been about $10k higher than the overall Tesla average, suggesting that WA buyers have been tending to buy premium variants at a higher rate than average. This would reduce any effect of premium variant prioritization because WA was buying more in the first place.

4) Overall, the trend suggests Q1 ASP will have risen around $3k above Q4 ASP.

975AEC46-E409-4D50-9331-BBDC3EA33710.jpeg

ASPModelCountMonth
48,316.74Model 343.00Jan-21
46,220.24Model 341.00Feb-21
47,722.22Model 3658.00Mar-21
47,099.02Model 341.00Apr-21
46,326.49Model 337.00May-21
50,109.68Model 3852.00Jun-21
46,675.53Model 3152.00Jul-21
49,202.21Model 3321.00Aug-21
51,364.40Model 3843.00Sep-21
48,022.21Model 3281.00Oct-21
50,523.87Model 3499.00Nov-21
53,963.06Model 3689.00Dec-21
53,311.99Model 3186.00Jan-22
52,225.23Model 388.00Feb-22
118,921.50Model S73.00Jun-21
104,513.70Model S38.00Jul-21
123,575.70Model S49.00Aug-21
120,826.10Model S101.00Sep-21
127,176.40Model S22.00Oct-21
104,970.30Model S81.00Nov-21
116,401.40Model S97.00Dec-21
105,378.20Model S55.00Jan-22
102,863.30Model S15.00Feb-22
87,980.00Model X2.00Jan-21
111,495.80Model X19.00Dec-21
121,078.20Model X17.00Jan-22
132,205.00Model X10.00Feb-22
54,232.82Model Y262.00Jan-21
53,226.70Model Y347.00Feb-21
55,264.38Model Y1,004.00Mar-21
56,786.59Model Y261.00Apr-21
56,344.03Model Y124.00May-21
59,545.87Model Y1,243.00Jun-21
55,805.83Model Y216.00Jul-21
57,344.70Model Y532.00Aug-21
59,816.10Model Y886.00Sep-21
59,092.65Model Y603.00Oct-21
59,649.48Model Y582.00Nov-21
64,912.19Model Y635.00Dec-21
60,282.67Model Y577.00Jan-22
59,302.50Model Y152.00Feb-22

Last edited:
I say stop that SD billionaire! I only own the stock but I would be willing to help fund something to stop this bastard from airing this crap.
Rob Maurer was asking for any one with legal knowledge to let him know if there is a way from blocking them from using his video. They did not ask for permission, so unsure if they can use his YouTube videos in this way.

Rob Maurer was asking for any one with legal knowledge to let him know if there is a way from blocking them from using his video. They did not ask for permission, so unsure if they can use his YouTube videos in this way.

Btw, every agency, news or tv will have a DMCA agent to handle infringements and takedowns.

Last edited:
Here was TE’s Q1 analysis.

View attachment 795578View attachment 795579
TE might be assuming lower operating expenses than others, but I’m not spotting what’s causing the difference. (Edit: Looks like @The Accountant did)

For what it’s worth, I think none of the estimates in that list are even close. Because of the strong evidence of Plaid and Performance variants being prioritized, my personal 95% confidence interval for non-GAAP EPS is $3.20-$4.10.

Sounds crazy? Well that low-end $3.20 estimate simply is based on taking @The Accountant ’s estimate but modeling for a $2k increase in ASP. Detailed math in the short term projections thread.

Delivery volume is so high now that a $3k boost to gross profit per car pushes quarterly EPS up almost $1.
If you're estimates are even within bounds of right TSLA will look like the inverse of this tomorrow.

And yes, that big red candle is one minute after the off dropped...

markup_700.png

I’ve thought about this and have difficulty imagining the meta-factory. Does it include robots that built robots? Robots that build assembly lines? Robots that build Giga presses? Does Tesla contract out for basic foundation and building construction?

You mean like representing a 4th dimensional hypercube (a.k.a. tesseract) by projecting it into 3 dimensions? That kind of difficulty? Lol, I don't think its quite that hard! :D

tesseract.png

Luckily we don't have to the hard work, Elon will do it for us (ie: Master Plan part 3). Remember, Elon's first language is math and physics. To him, geometric growth is how he goes about 'bending the curve': Snap, crackle, pop (Physics)

Has anything like a factory factory ever been done before?

Obviously, Kuka robots are built in a factory. So this would be the Tesla equivalent of building a factory to make the tooling required to build Kuka robot manufacturing lines. It might help to think along the lines, given a 'bill of materials' requirement, how to create that most efficiently.

The main difference is then the product being built and the intended use / customer. The first such factory may already exist in Prüm, Germany at the new Tesla Automation (formerly Grohmann Engineering) facility. People are still speculating as to its purpose:

Tesla Factory in Prüm, Germany Is Already Completed | Tesmanian images (Feb 14, 2022)​

Personally, I think this is the 'proof-of-concept' plant, and Tesla will build at least 2 more: one in China, and one in Austin, TX. But obviously, Tesla can scale with demand. Remember this new mantra:

"The Product is the Factory"​

Cheers!

What sort of year by year ramp up of battery production do you envision hitting 300 TWh cumulative by 2040?

I've previously (over several years now since Battery Day) published a few possible production goal tables. I'll link here to my most recent one (made after the TED2022 interview), and the content myself to wait for "Master Plan Part 3":

Artful Dodger Post #334,587 (Mon, Apr 18, 2022)

btydayproductionupdate-april2022-png.794924

Cheers to the Longs!

They might have to buy IDRA from LK to get there.

Tesla didn't need to buy Panasonic.... ;)

Did you see Jordan Giesige's latest "Cyber Rodeo" video? He shows images and discusses how Tesla is already modifying their Gigapresses to increase output by improving the thermal control with heat exchangers and an insulated stainless steel bottle "heat sink". Of course, heat transfer from the aluminum castings is The Limiting Factor.

You mean like representing a 4th dimensional hypercube (a.k.a. tesseract) by projecting it into 3 dimensions? That kind of difficulty? Lol, I don't think its quite that hard! :D

Luckily we don't have to the hard work, Elon will do it for us (ie: Master Plan part 3). Remember, Elon's first language is math and physics. To him, geometric growth is how he goes about 'bending the curve': Snap, crackle, pop (Physics)

Obviously, Kuka robots are built in a factory. So this would be the Tesla equivalent of building a factory to make the tooling required to build Kuka robot manufacturing lines. It might help to think along the lines, given a 'bill of materials' requirement, how to create that most efficiently.

The main difference is then the product being built and the intended use / customer. The first such factory may already exist in Prüm, Germany at the new Tesla Automation (formerly Grohmann Engineering) facility. People are still speculating as to its purpose:

Tesla Factory in Prüm, Germany Is Already Completed | Tesmanian images (Feb 14, 2022)​

Personally, I think this is the 'proof-of-concept' plant, and Tesla will build at least 2 more: one in China, and one in Austin, TX. But obviously, Tesla can scale with demand. Remember this new mantra:

"The Product is the Factory"​

Cheers!
Raises a thought...

Between big casting machines and existing robots to do various CNC actions, and existing know-how to make motors and such... and building Optimus...

They probably have sufficient know-how to build their own KUKA equivalent bots, if they wanted to. Is there a point where it makes sense to do so, or will the growth rate always be low enough that building a factory-factory (robot factory) is more of a cost than a savings vs just buying them from KUKA etc?

Raises a thought...

Between big casting machines and existing robots to do various CNC actions, and existing know-how to make motors and such... and building Optimus...

They probably have sufficient know-how to build their own KUKA equivalent bots, if they wanted to. Is there a point where it makes sense to do so, or will the growth rate always be low enough that building a factory-factory (robot factory) is more of a cost than a savings vs just buying them from KUKA etc?
It would only make sense if they could improve upon them, or, if there were a significant enough problem sourcing them for building factories.

So far, so good. So, unlikely I'd say.

Raises a thought...

I don't know enough about KUKA robots to judge if they are ripe for disruption. I'll leave that to someone with 1st-hand knowledge of the industry. My instinct is as long as Tesla is able to buy current robots w/o driving up prices, they'll continue to buy from 3rd parties.

The wildcard is software. Tesla is one of the few companies that writes its own manufacturing software. It spans from the time a part is made at a factory (or arrives at the shipping dock), through the service life of the product. Most automakers depend on 3rd parties for software like SAP.

When Tesla sells you a factory, it comes with software included. ;)

Last edited:
I don't know if its worth it for Tesla to build its own KUKA-style robots. My impression of Tesla's (esp. Elon's) developments so far is that they only move into an area that is ripe for disruption. For example, tunnel boring. The existing TBM makers could not even tell you what their limiting factor was for boring speed. But Tesla (or Elon) is highly unlikely to create a 'smart phone', because that is a well-solved problem, and the runway for innovation is relatively small.

So I don't know enough about KUKA robots to judge if they need disrupting. I'll leave that to the group, for someone with first-hand knowledge of the state of the industry, and the issues. My instinct is as long as Tesla can buy all the assembly robots it needs w/o driving up prices, they'll continue to buy from 3rd parties.

The wildcard in this is software. Tesla is one of the few companies that writes and owns its own manufacturing software, which spans from the time a part is made at a factory (or arrives at the shipping dock), through the service life of the product (ie: the car's component history is visible at the Tesla Service Center, and though the 'back-end' that runs the mobile app for scheduling svc appointments). Nobody else has that, they mostly depend on 3rd parties for software like SAP. When Tesla sells you a factory, it will come with the software that makes it work.
Well, I wasn't thinking so much building KUKAs to overtake the market for robots, but as an internal production line, much like they build their own seats rather than buying them from one of the existing seat manufacturers. Build the robots for their factories themselves. Seems unlikely to ever make sense to do it (they'd need to be needing a LOT of them, on an ongoing basis) but they should have the technical know-how.

It was more of a "hmm..." than a serious "they should do this"