Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla has bought down their debt again? Very interesting. Would be good to know why they have been so aggressive with this.
Perhaps it's because EM was forced to settle with the SUC by the vulture banks that held Telsa hostage, and that will never happen again. Even at war (chess pieces in play as we speak).

"Our total debt excluding vehicle and energy product financing fell to less than $0.1B at the end of Q1."
I think it was $84M total debt, and $14M of that was non-recourse debt. It's absurdly low, and its also one ot the reasons that Tesla can now act as its own underwriter for its auto-insurance products.

Profits == unlocked. :D

I wonder how Moody's will even word the upgrade of TSLA debt? And what's the rationale going to be if we're below A1? Tesla could be in better financial shape?

This company is now completely untouchable, has no debt, and reliably prints billions of dollars every quarter. Wall Street is an absolute joke.
Best of all, the way I see it, is we don't care what Moody's has to say about TSLA debt. I really, really hope that Tesla does the 'inefficient' think and runs off of its own cash and doesn't borrow money. Or even roll over existing debt. Pay it off as it comes due and don't get any replacement loans.

I don't count lease type stuff - that's more working capital kind of stuff.

Kinda off topic but that's just about the least efficient way to make $ off credit cards possible.

Spend a few minutes researching better ways, then use the extra rewards to buy TSLA shares (See, I dragged it back on topic!)
In my opinion the most efficient possible way to make $ off credit cards is to sign up for the Wells Fargo Reflect card that’s offering 0% interest for 21 months and use the debt to free up cash for buying Jun 2024 LEAPs.

Not advice though.

Best of all, the way I see it, is we don't care what Moody's has to say about TSLA debt. I really, really hope that Tesla does the 'inefficient' think and runs off of its own cash and doesn't borrow money. Or even roll over existing debt. Pay it off as it comes due and don't get any replacement loans.

supposedly, some firms/investors can’t buy TSLA until debt rating is investment grade. Otherwise wouldn’t matter.

Investment grade credit rating will open up a number of high dollar funds to invest and passive investing at that. I agree with your sentiment, but it really matters to the stock price (doesn't matter a lick to the business now).

Nice run-up AH. Super-jazzed about the fundamentals of this report. In particular:

Almost zero debt... I assume this has been a desire of Elon+Zach. Not only are they paying very little interest, but interest rates are going up these days so they're protected from the USA's latest economic stumbling. Plus... it looks really good to observers that you have little-to-no debt, since all the competitors have tons of debt.

Fortress balance sheet w/ little debt shows that not only are Tesla's cars better than the competition, but their corporate financials are better than the competition. Proving you can produce 100% BEV and zero ICE and have an amazing balance sheet.

I think Q1 has been the first quarter with a significant bump from the raft of price increases that began last year. I believe Q2 will see an even juicier bump from the continued price rises and despite the Shanghai manufacturing hit, will still be solidly impressive. Plus, by the time of the Q2 conference call (July 20th?) the Cybertruck will be starting to rear its head and creating interest for TSLA.

supposedly, some firms/investors can’t buy TSLA until debt rating is investment grade. Otherwise wouldn’t matter.

Investment grade credit rating will open up a number of high dollar funds to invest and passive investing at that. I agree with your sentiment, but it really matters to the stock price (doesn't matter a lick to the business now).
True enough. In my mind this also reveals an interesting problem with modern, or at least USA, business. If you don't have debt / leverage then you're not doing it right. Good for the investment bankers (that price and sell the debt), but not necessarily appropriate or good for individual businesses.

Part of my attitude here is that my understanding is that Moody's et. al. revisit and update bond ratings when the company has new debt to price, and pays them to do so. I suppose that a 3rd party can ask Moody's to update the rating as well, such as a mutual fund or endowment that wants to invest but needs the investment grade due to their investment criteria. I realize that I could be wrong about the update cycle.