Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There has never been a company like this and there will never be another one. Throw all your cash at TSLA. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. It is not a matter of if, but when it will overtake AAPL valuation.

TSLA is the most sure bet someone can make in the stock market today. Looking at all these earning call numbers make me almost more excited than my wedding day.

“Tesla 4680 structural pack will be competitive with the best alternatives this year and the best next year.” —
@elonmusk

This is a real head scratcher. This tells me that 4680 benefits are not being realized as expected. That is why they are working on building a risk mitigation of building a 2170 pack line in Austin

YET ANOTHER 4/20 BOMBSHELL

The Boring Company announced today:

• Completion of a $675M Series C capital raise at $5.7B valuation

• Prufrock boring machine production target of 1 per month for 600 mile/year (1000km/yr) incremental capacity addition in the short term
    • Implied 30,000 mi/yr capacity in “medium term” when they can drill 7 mi/day
    • Would be on the order of 100,000 mi/yr after production ramps up even more a few years later and after the unstated long term speed goal is reached
    • Above is not a typo

• Prufrock will be FULLY automated with zero people in the tunnel during drilling

This implies utterly EXPLOSIVE growth of Loops, and CEO Steve Davis had let it slip at last year’s Clark County Planning Commission meeting that they’re already envisioning a large national network. For reference, the entire US Interstate Highway System is 47,000 miles of road.

Credit to @Chunky Jr. for the find. Join us in the Boring Co thread for discussion.

Last edited:
No Elon comp discussions will calm some institutions.
I wonder if Elon really feels like he needs a comp package. He gets endless harassment for theing the richest person on the planet. Just being able to steer the company and price appreciation of his already large share of the company could be motivation enough.

This is a real head scratcher. This tells me that 4680 benefits are not being realized as expected. That is why they are working on building a risk mitigation of building a 2170 pack line in Austin
The 4680 is a baby, it’s walking it’s first steps and is being compared to a mature product.

Tesla has a supply of 2170 cells and will for some time. If they stop supporting the 2170 cells in their new cars, that is essentially lost capacity. They will keep using 2170 cells for some time for the same reason they are still using 18650 cells right now. Because they can source them and don’t have an easy replacement for that capacity.

IMO this excellent Tweet from Alex explains everything:-

Being new technology, it isn't surprising that 4680 is slow to ramp, and not surprising that there are a few bumps along the way.

What this says to me is that they are more confident that Model Y production in Austin can ramp faster than 4680 production.
And Tesla always has a Plan B where possible.

Cybertruck is very likely totally dependent on 4680, by 2023 Tesla doesn't anticipate any issues.

The clever part is where those 2170s are coming from, my guess:-
  • Some Model 3s out of Fremont using LFP packs.
  • Panasonic possibly making more 2170s at GF Nevada
  • Energy storage Powerpack, Megapack, now using LFP - (the really clever part).

Tesla seems content to hold about $17B in cash, and it has practically no debt to repay. $2.1B of $2.2B free cash flow was spent paying down debt this quarter.

So how will free cash flow impact the balance sheet going forward? Will Tesla just accumulate more cash or crypto? Will Tesla buy more assets like miners or other companies? Or will it do more capex?

Tesla seems content to hold about $17B in cash, and it has practically no debt to repay. $2.1B of $2.2B free cash flow was spent paying down debt this quarter.

So how will free cash flow impact the balance sheet going forward? Will Tesla just accumulate more cash or crypto? Will Tesla buy more assets like miners or other companies? Or will it do more capex?
My guess is they will want to accelerate the mission - more acquisitions and capex.

'psychology' is just such a pat answer to some questions that I find myself rebelling when it is invoked, but you make an interesting point: If people have to wait a few months to accumulate enough savings for the next share purchase, they lose out on the interval appreciation. In a stock like TSLA where that can be 10 - 30%, it is real money for these young investors.
Human condition then. How people think. How they can and do react illogically at times.

Why have items been priced at $1.99 for decades rather than an even $2? A home for sale for $299,000 rather than $300,000? Why people tend to sell their stocks on even numbers like $1000? Why do people have ‘lucky’ numbers at all? People think having 50 shares at $200 each sounds like they have more than 10 shares at $1000 each. Psychology. 🤷🏻

Elon mentioned lithium mining as a money printing machine. You’d have to think if he really thinks that he’d be looking to use some of that cash to make Tesla even more vertically integrated.