Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
... So it is possible the slower 4680 ramp was intentional and beneficial in the long run and not because of issues.
Well the number of 4680 cells they want to produce is astronomical. All tiny improvements in cost, performance or quality that occur early will have enormous leverage at volume.

Ron Baron sat down for an relaxed, wide-ranging half-hour talk with the CEO of one of the firms that Baron Partners has invested in. Topics include Tesla, SpaceX, Elon, hard work, ethics and why he doesn't trade in and out of stocks. Ron's a seasoned buy'n'hold'er, and he tells you why that's a better way to invest. Enjoy!

Bloomberg Wealth with David Rubenstein: Ron Baron (Sep 17, 2021)

When did anyone at Tesla say they would not use the 2170 in Austin?

I'd love to see this reference because if you look at the facts, that was almost certainly never going to be the case.

Tesla is going to need every single battery they produce or acquire for a long time. If they have one factory that only consumes one type of battery, that massively cuts their options down. I don't think Tesla ever considered Austin would be a 4680 exclusive facility.
The original wording for both Austin&Berlin was 4680s with 2170s as backup.

But now that they had to implement it for Berlin, using it in Austin to expand production might not be considered a backup anymore...

But one question came up for me for the Austin 2170s:
They explicitly stated them to be non-structural.
That means they either have to build two different bodies (on a second line?), or the 4680 cars are using 'structural bodies' and therefore carry some extra weight....
So the full potential/effect of the structural pack might still remain to be revealed.

Last edited:
I do wander OT on occasion, but when the moderator puts a pretty clear comment that something is OT, I’m bright enough to STFU.
The mods have the power to delete whatever they want, but my view is that Elon the person is so integral to Tesla the company (and hence TSLA the investment) that his public comments and other business ventures are very germane to this forum.

In a single tweet he is capable of impacting the SP much more than the minutiae about battery chemistry discussed at length here.

Elon Musk knows how to get attention from the millennials. All the follower from MrBeast wants Teslas. The first price in his videos are always Teslas, it used to be lambos. We can agree or disagree with any tweet from Elon about shadow banning, laughing about shorts, etc., but this guy is a genius about marketing for the millennials and all of them will buy Teslas, Optimus and will get their Starlink subscription when the time comes. He has the rare power of being an endless meme creator which is the ultimate advertisement achievement in the current media generation.

How long ago was the original tweet talking about Bill’s short position in Tesla? Was that back in 2020? Just curious and want to guesstimate how much money he has lost on this short so far.
Tesla is volatile so an agile fund manger can do very well especially one with dark pools access, up or down. Funny story, his cash manger sat for years a few feet from my brothers office. My brother and his team took an offer to go to a competing investment firm so they did. His sole job was to manage a few billion in cash..just parking it somewhere to make something. If someone takes long term short on TSLA...god help them.

Unfortunately this is directly relevant to TSLA and it’s future. I’m exchange for some cheap laughs , Elon further alienates multiple groups of people all at once with this kind of activity. The number of comments I see and hear in person from women that are offended by Elons childish behavior continue to grow. Just this week at a party it came up again. a lot of people feel Elon has become political and has taken a side. A good number of those people do not want to support him or his products. And as a shareholder, tweets like this have zero upside. They are not selling a Tesla to anyone new.

Unfortunately this is directly relevant to TSLA and it’s future. I’m exchange for some cheap laughs , Elon further alienates multiple groups of people all at once with this kind of activity. The number of comments I see and hear in person from women that are offended by Elons childish behavior continue to grow. Just this week at a party it came up again. a lot of people feel Elon has become political and has taken a side. A good number of those people do not want to support him or his products. And as a shareholder, tweets like this have zero upside. They are not selling a Tesla to anyone new.
While true in essence we all know how much Elon has fought and despised short sellers and false narratives. He always does stand up to bullies and to stand hand in hand with them on other issues while that is ongoing is not in character of him from anytime ever. At this stage maybe it is time not to do so, but I do understand it and don't fault him for it. He is just a person and not perfect, just like Bill Gates and Elon's upsides are for me more than the ones for any other person. While maybe somewhat childish he is more mature than anyone on earth on other to me more important matters hence I am a happy shareholder for now and a long time to come.

In the scheme of things I just hope this does not make way for another personal competitor to buy Twitter aside from Bezos himself, at least the timeline makes for a more interesting life here for us all.

So what is the collective wisdom here- do we get a big bounce from Tesla and the markets more broadly next week? Last week was brutal for the non Tesla portion of my portfolio. I'd be buying into the market weakness if I wasn't already leveraged to max comfort. My gut says we get a decent little rally, and the rollercoaster ride continues.

So for a weekend on-topic issue to discuss:

Does anyone else think Q2 2022 could be a down month for TSLA and subsequently a huge buying opportunity?

With Shanghai being shutdown for nearly a month and thus needing to ramp back up, it's pretty safe to think Q2 production numbers will be down from Q1. Maybe not by much, but a good chance they will be less than Q1, especially with Berlin and Austin ramping slowly right now. My gut feeling is Wall Street might use that opportunity to push TSLA down quite a bit in the short term after the June / July timeframe (Q2 earnings).

Now, certainly Q3 production will be record smashing, what with Shanghai back up to speed by then plus Berlin & Austin well into ramping up. And Q4 will be even more record smashing than Q3. BUT, Q2 might be a hiccup along the road to new ATH's for TSLA by the year's end.

Is anyone else thinking this and planning to store some dry powder for a potential mid-summer buying opportunity?

So for a weekend on-topic issue to discuss:

Does anyone else think Q2 2022 could be a down month for TSLA and subsequently a huge buying opportunity?

With Shanghai being shutdown for nearly a month and thus needing to ramp back up, it's pretty safe to think Q2 production numbers will be down from Q1. Maybe not by much, but a good chance they will be less than Q1, especially with Berlin and Austin ramping slowly right now. My gut feeling is Wall Street might use that opportunity to push TSLA down quite a bit in the short term after the June / July timeframe (Q2 earnings).

Now, certainly Q3 production will be record smashing, what with Shanghai back up to speed by then plus Berlin & Austin well into ramping up. And Q4 will be even more record smashing than Q3. BUT, Q2 might be a hiccup along the road to new ATH's for TSLA by the year's end.

Is anyone else thinking this and planning to store some dry powder for a potential mid-summer buying opportunity?

Seems the most likely scenario to me. It’s guesswork when the market will begin to reflect the outstanding 2nd half prospects as we go through a potentially uneven 2Q for Tesla fundamentals with volatile macros in the background (Fed rate increases continuously telegraphed but market consistently overreacting, and the big unknown of Ukraine which could go either way). But I have a bias for a rockier May-Sep since I have too many ITM/ATM CC’s to get out from under.