Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I cannot remember exactly where Elon said' first in last out'. I think it was a conference call. Either way I do remeber listening to those words, and I had zero doubt what it meant at the time. No nuances necessary.

If Elon is indeed selling shares to purchase Twitter, then this is a fundamental change in his stance, which one should incorporate into their overall investment analysis. It might not change your concuslion, but when variables change, one probably should pay attention.

It is not a fundamental change.
The first money he put in, is in. 2004
The second money he put in, is in. 2005
The third money he put it, is in. 2006
The fourth money he put in, is in. 2008
70 million invested personally by 2009
The years he poured into the company, are in.

Saying you'll be the last to leave/ cash out in no way claims you'll never spend any later earnings.

i don't think i've ever seen a more precisely incorrect post.

Limiting the spread of "misinformation" is limiting free speech. Yes, you and I have a right to lie.

no, you literally don't. Certain types of lying is legal under certain cirucmstances, but lying is very illegal in myriad circumstances, from libel to perjury to yelling "fire" in a crowded theatre to claiming to be a military veteran to mislabeling something you have for sale to misreporting your income and thousands other situations. There is absolutely no "right to lie".

What you call a lie, I call a truth. Who is to judge?

This is so nonsensical that it calls into question whether or not you think words even have meaning. Stating something untrue is a lie. Anyone with the appropriate knowledge is qualified to judge whether a statement is a lie or not. Pretending that "all opinions are valid" or that truth is some wishy-washy malleable concept is both stupid and dangerous.

What we don't have right to do is limiting each other ability to lie.

We absolutely do have that right, in the form of the FDA regulations, disclosure requirements, civil suits, class action lawsuits, and regulations from every agency under the sun, and thousands of other safeguards that attempt to prevent lies and misinformation from endangering people every day.

Furthermore, any corporation absolutely, inarguably has the right to do whatever they want to limit speech on a platform they own. (and indeed they have a legal obligation to do so if what's being posted is itself illegal)

your above statement is objectively, factually wrong.

Spreading lies is not a basic American right. It's a destructive force for evil, and so is the notion that nobody can judge what's really a lie or the truth.

We also don't have right to pretend to be bigger than we are.

Except of course we do. There's no law against being a blowhard, or i'd have been put away long ago. (har har)

Last edited:
Is anybody here really going to do more than gripe if Elon did sell some shares of his own company? I would be slightly disappointed, but not nearly enough to bail on the position that has pretty much guaranteed me a comfortable retirement.
So already in the acceptance stage? That's fast. 😄

I agree we should move on, or at least wait to see if it actually happens.

1651076524822.png

I don’t think Tesla investors who don’t see the big picture (and therefore aren’t calm) are of much concern to him. Sure that causes some volatility in the short-term but that mostly affects traders and a fraction of long-term holders who are either very close to/in retirement or need funds to purchase a home, etc. The latter folks should obviously make more conservative investment choices which may include some hedging.

Generally all it takes is one trigger-happy event for a panicky long to learn his/her lesson about doubting Elon in such a short timeframe. Most of us have had one and learned from it.
More worried that people more following a divest from petroleum type attitude towards Tesla and that would also include looking to purchase other manufacturers EVs. People doing it out of principal not based on metrics and data about Tesla.

Way back in the day, Musk said he would be last one out.

The bickerin, tongue lashing, arguin amongst the elite membershiphere (and eliter moderators) seems to be indicative (like a TA indicator) of the pain folks wallets be feeling. Too many followin every green and red tick.

The Hwang manip article shows exactly why folks need b Suspect of everyone and everything. EVERYTHING needs be judged by individual merits.

There needs be better acceptance of differing viewpoints without arguing for arguin sake.

It is not a fundamental change.
The first money he put in, is in. 2004
The second money he put in, is in. 2005
The third money he put it, is in. 2006
The fourth money he put in, is in. 2008
70 million invested personally by 2009
The years he poured into the company, are in.

Saying you'll be the last to leave/ cash out in no way claims you'll never spend any later earnings.

Exactly. If "first" meant 100% of his stake, then the statement would have been false as soon as he uttered it (because his later investments were no longer "first"). All he was saying is he's not going to sell his stake and leave everyone else holding the bag while he prances off into the sunset. Obviously.

How people can claim one of the world's hardest working persons said he never wanted to eventually get paid for his hard work and success while simultaneously considering themselves "successful" for having made a killing by investing in him is beyond my comprehension.

More worried that people more following a divest from petroleum type attitude towards Tesla and that would also include looking to purchase other manufacturers EVs. People doing it out of principal not based on metrics and data about Tesla.

There will always be some of that. But for every person choosing not to buy a Tesla or sell TSLA because Elon did x, y, or z or is perceived to be associated with x y z person or political party, there will be someone doing the opposite for the same reasons. It all balances out in aggregate.

Now, you are correct that there is a new opportunity for opponents of Tesla and Elon to promote a “divest from Elon/Tesla” campaign, which I fully expect. But it’s noise and doesn’t really affect my investment thesis.

crying just because Elon comes on stage with a hat and an OG roadster? Quite an overreaction and a little cringe, if I may say so.

Regardless, I think it was a mistake for Ford to try and copy a Tesla event, especially since most of those people were employees. An even better comparison would be with SpaceX, where everyone watching outside the control room in CA is an employee, and they're cheering, etc.

The Ford event had all the crowd excitement of a mandatory HR meeting!

Since I'm not fully versed in the options market couldn't you just buy back those covered calls and close out the position? Pardon my ignorance here.
Yes, I could. But that would involve paying a commision and keeping less than the original premium. In this case the calls will almost certainly expire worthless on Friday. So if I do not buy them back before expiration, I will likely keep the entire premium and pay no commision for closing the position.

Last edited: