Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While I agree with your sentiment, I disagree about it not being about Tesla. If Elon is using his TSLA shares as leverage to buy Twitter, he just substantially increased his debt and gave his enemies a target share price to get TSLA to in order to margin call Elon Musk. If that happens, he may be forced to sell some of his TSLA stake and reduce his ownership, which would make a hostile takeover easier.

Sound far fetched? Look what Elon just did to Twitter.

I think folks concerned about Elon getting a margin call can relax. I'm reminded of a line in my favorite novel:

"The sort of American you hint at has wealth, not merely money as you understand it, and a great many influential friends..."​
--Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith​

Elon Musk has powerful enemies, but also many extremely wealthy friends and allies. A margin call caused by a dip in TSLA would be a short-term need for funds or credit. I'm quite sure Elon could handle it without selling TSLA if he wished. He has relied on friends before.

He is not like you and me. His phone Contact list is full of billionaires.

I don’t think Tesla investors who don’t see the big picture (and therefore aren’t calm) are of much concern to him. Sure that causes some volatility in the short-term but that mostly affects traders and a fraction of long-term holders who are either very close to/in retirement or need funds to purchase a home, etc. The latter folks should obviously make more conservative investment choices which may include some hedging.

Generally all it takes is one trigger-happy event for a panicky long to learn his/her lesson about doubting Elon in such a short timeframe. Most of us have had one and learned from it.
I was lucky and learned from many here who made the mistake selling when Elon said

" TSLA stock is too high " a couple years back ...over time Elons actions have created excellent buying opportunities... the Twitter purchase is just another one ... picked up 25 @$902 yesterday .. I really did not think we would see sub $1000 after that earnings report ... yet here we are :cool:

I was lucky and learned from many here who made the mistake selling when Elon said

" TSLA stock is too high " a couple years back ...over time Elons actions have created excellent buying opportunities... the Twitter purchase is just another one ... picked up 25 @$902 yesterday .. I really did not think we would see sub $1000 after that earnings report ... yet here we are :cool:
Same! Except I got mine at $901. So proud lol!

Why is TDOC in this forum again?

Did anyone have N-3?

1651095673917.png

I think folks concerned about Elon getting a margin call can relax. I'm reminded of a line in my favorite novel:

"The sort of American you hint at has wealth, not merely money as you understand it, and a great many influential friends..."​
--Gorky Park by Martin Cruz Smith​

Elon Musk has powerful enemies, but also many extremely wealthy friends and allies. A margin call caused by a dip in TSLA would be a short-term need for funds or credit. I'm quite sure Elon could handle it without selling TSLA if he wished. He has relied on friends before.

He is not like you and me. His phone Contact list is full of billionaires.
I have all the Arkady Renko books. Love them all.

Last edited:
So, with all the various discussions on here lately what is the general consensus regarding the stock plunge? Is this purely macro driven or is there something negative specific to Tesla I missed?

Dan

I'd call it 1/3rd macro market retreat, and 2/3rds simple fear and uncertainty over Elon's new distraction with Twitter.

Tesla itself has incredibly strong financials