Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WTF happened to Elon? Seriously. He sounds like he's move pretty far right.

Things were bad under Trump, if someone can't see that, I've lost respect for them. The GOP has lost their damn mind concerning how they want to govern this nation.

I'm really having a hard time liking Elon anymore and wanting to say positive things to others....

View attachment 799729
Man take it to the other thread.

Tesla is still waiting for SEC guidance on the Bitcoin proposal. They do not want that as a distraction.

I can't believe @KarenRei has sabotaged the stock split!

6enhew.jpg

Man take it to the other thread.
Why? So others don't have to think about it? I don't want to think about it, but he's the one who decided to take this journey. This should be front and center discussion as he heads the company we invest in and buy products from.

Serious stuff went down on Jan.6th and he seems to be (because he continues to bash the left on his new company platform) on that side.....not good.

Did you link the wrong article?

Your "Recap" is only vaguely related to the linked article and doesn't seem to have anything related to UAW, GM, or ... ?? much of what you said.
These are direct grants to GM and Ford, earmarked to help build out battery capacity. Goes directly to the bottom line. How does that do anything but encourage their foot-dragging and sabotaging behavior of the last 20 years?

You want American battery pack production? Put a $15k point of sale rebate on EVs and a mild tariff on imports.

The way they've chosen to do it means they can parcel out the funds in the least effective manner possible, yet still gain votes in Michigan. The entire EV agenda is about winning Michigan, that's unlikely to have a meaningful impact on the transition. Meanwhile.....Elon is fighting off the Justice Dept and SEC while trying to actually produce reasonably priced EVs in America.

Maaaaybe Tesla gets in on this with the next US gigafactory announcement, but I doubt it. There will no doubt be strings attached and Elon will decline, just like with the German subsidies.

Last edited:
Just briefly returning to fundamentals. I note the following items in the Tesla 2021 10K:
2021 2020 2019
Automotive sales: 44,125 24,604 19,358 $ billion
Warranty provision 1,056 625 555
costs incurred (525) (312) (250)
% of sales provision 2.39 2.54 2.71

1651513957175.png

1651514103804.png

What these charts all show confirms the data in the Tesla 10K, no surprise in that.
The revealing truth is that Tesla has paid a very high price for actuarial skepticism, so over-reserves at an 'unusual' level. We all should know why this is the case.

The fact is that no OEM even approaches the Tesla effectiveness and efficiency. What is more is that Tesla continues to improve as it has incredible growth rates and new factories, new products and new technologies.

Warranty costs are declining as manufacturing simplicity advances, so manufacturing becomes less expensive while this happens. Of course part of this comes from inexpensive recalls, OTA is quite cheap.

This has become an annual process for me, normally beginning with my own examinations then going to Warranty Week extracts. HODL becomes ever more obvious, doesn't it?

I think Bloomberg actually published a helpful piece on this a few hours ago, though I don't see it now for some reason.

Tesla made a filing error at some point recently and misquoted the amount of shares Elon has pledged to various things. Sounds like they left the(much higher) Dec 2020 figure in one of their recent regulatory filings rather than the Dec 2021.

So they likely need to do a bit of forensics to get the number right and then file. I love that they care so little about regulatory filings. Should be resolved today or tomorrow and I bet we'll know about they shareholder meeting early next week at the latest.
Here it is....

Tesla’s amended annual report shows the share count and options of key investors through Dec. 31, and other footnotes refer to dates in 2022. But the part breaking out Musk’s ownership, exercisable options and pledged shares refers to Dec. 31, 2020, the same date from last year’s annual report. The company had previously updated the figures through June 30.

Why? So others don't have to think about it? I don't want to think about it, but he's the one who decided to take this journey. This should be front and center discussion as he heads the company we invest in and buy products from.

Serious stuff went down on Jan.6th and he seems to be (because he continues to bash the left on his new company platform) on that side.....not good.

Posts reported to mods.

There is a hard and fast no politics rule in this thread. You are not special.

Yet management has recently been positing they can increase Fremont production rate. Elon said +50%. Not sure about that but I would assume at some point we will be raising our expectations of Fremont capacity, supply chain aside.
Yep, on the earnings call, Zach said 50%+, despite Shanghai issues and Elon followed up reiterating, saying 50% YOY growth for multiple years and added even "a reasonable shot at" 60% total with Berlin and Austin ramping exponentially to high volume by EOY.

Just briefly returning to fundamentals. I note the following items in the Tesla 2021 10K:
2021 2020 2019
Automotive sales: 44,125 24,604 19,358 $ billion
Warranty provision 1,056 625 555
costs incurred (525) (312) (250)
% of sales provision 2.39 2.54 2.71

View attachment 799730
View attachment 799733

What these charts all show confirms the data in the Tesla 10K, no surprise in that.
The revealing truth is that Tesla has paid a very high price for actuarial skepticism, so over-reserves at an 'unusual' level. We all should know why this is the case.

The fact is that no OEM even approaches the Tesla effectiveness and efficiency. What is more is that Tesla continues to improve as it has incredible growth rates and new factories, new products and new technologies.

Warranty costs are declining as manufacturing simplicity advances, so manufacturing becomes less expensive while this happens. Of course part of this comes from inexpensive recalls, OTA is quite cheap.

This has become an annual process for me, normally beginning with my own examinations then going to Warranty Week extracts. HODL becomes ever more obvious, doesn't it?

All true, however we also need to factor in the low fleet age for Tesla. 50% CAGR means the average age of vehicles under warranty will be lower. On the other hand, Bathtub curve may also be an effect that counteracts that.

Things were bad under Trump, if someone can't see that, I've lost respect for them. The GOP has lost their damn mind concerning how they want to govern this nation.

I'm really having a hard time liking Elon anymore and wanting to say positive things to others....

View attachment 799729
The TMC managers have GOT to add an "Like" Icon for utter confusion.

View attachment 799729
Elon is simply wrong here. Hasan was only saying that there is a neo-nazi faction of the GOP which might get larger.

I don't know what kind of game Elon is playing here. It's weird. But Elon has always been weird.

View attachment 799729

What this has to do with TSLA, I grapple with. However, it reads as if written by someone who thinks that the extreme left and extreme right are all that exists.

Fortunately, the vast majority of folks fall more toward the balance point between those two extremes, and Elon has already commented how his goal is to make sure the Twitter platform will not be biased toward any extreme.

A working solution to any issue that is most likely to be agreeable to most people will nearly always be found at some point between the extremes. Whether the question is about investing, politics, business, or any of 420 other topics, those who find themselves on the fringes should consider such as potentially problematic and begin exploring positions closer to the middle.

This direction Elon has outlined for Twitter toward balance is more likely to reveal the kind of solutions which will resonate by garnering a lion's share of support.

I'm jiggy with any plan that steers discussion toward positive common points of agreement rather than toward further divisiveness.

Tesla stopped using BTC for transaction and now only holds the asset AFAIK. I'm definitely not takin a hard stance here. There is definitely a coal plant in my area (Finger Lakes Region NY) that is being run more than it should due to BTC mining. I would not be upset at all if Tesla sold their holdings.

Also - how tf do I like a post in here? Am I not yet allowed due to low number of posts by my account? I see no like button! Sorry for unrelated question.
The like button comes after a bit. I forget if it’s based on time or post count.

Reactions: PaintedPost