Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A good question. A company (non union) where I worked issued stock grants for a couple years and then stopped after a huge number of grants were immediately sold. My memory is that it was > 90%.

Hourly workers seem to want money the most. Stock grants just complicated the process and seemed suspect I guess. Really a bit scammy by mgmt.

They can easily buy stock any day they wish If they have the money. Discounts on shares seems about the same.

It worked great for me but I did not have a family at the time. YMMV

In my opinion, it depends on whether an employee is receiving stock options or restricted stock.
What I have seen is that when an employee receives restricted stock, it is sold because it is immediately taxable at vesting and there is no leverage with stock as you have with options. When I received restricted stock, I would sell at vesting because the question I would have to ask myself is "is this stock the best investment in the market"? In my case no. I would sell my company stock and buy Apple.

Now when I had options. It was not taxable when vested (only when exercised) and the leverage was huge. When the stock went up 10% my options went up 30%. So I held options and sold restricted shares.

Tesla employees have options.

Tesla just opened most of it's chargers in Norway for the public. And became Norway's largest supplier of high powered charging.

812 of 1198 charging points are now available for all CCS equipped cars. 31 locations are still Tesla only. These are high traffic chargers or locations with other restrictions. Ie. Circle-K want other cars to use their chargers and not Tesla's where they co-exists.

Source: Tesla åpner 42 nye ladestasjoner for alle

I'm sure it was pure coincidence that the number of new locations opened were 42.

Tesla just opened most of it's chargers in Norway for the public. And became Norway's largest supplier of high powered charging.

812 of 1198 charging points are now available for all CCS equipped cars. 31 locations are still Tesla only. These are high traffic chargers or locations with other restrictions. Ie. Circle-K want other cars to use their chargers and not Tesla's where they co-exists.

I'm sure it was pure coincidence that the number of new locations opened were 42.
Does anyone know if the charging rates are different for Tesla owners vs non-Tesla owners?

Does anyone know if the charging rates are different for Tesla owners vs non-Tesla owners?

For drop in charging the rates are 40-60% higher depending on the location. But you can pay a monthly fee of NOK 129 or about $13 and then you pay Tesla rates.

In both cases it's more expensive to charge for other brands.

Are the issues with not compatible charging ports locations solved? How? I'm still not convinced this is doing any good. I know I will be very pissed about Etrons blocking two charging stalls.

In my opinion, it depends on whether an employee is receiving stock options or restricted stock.
Interesting. This was done with paper certificates with the employee name on the certificate accompanied by a letter related to the taxable basis. I never sold mine for 40+ years and made several hundred $k profit….. by just playing dead.🙂

To be fair, Tesla is only providing batteries. From the link you mentioned:

This development's cost of $12 million will be split evenly between Blockstream and Block, and is expected to be up and running in a few months. The mine will have a relatively tiny 30 petahash/second in computing power and energy capacity of just 1 megawatt (MW).

It's not different from another stationary storage project.
Not based on that article. Two bullet points lower:

"The project will be completely off-grid, said Back, with a Tesla 3.8 MW solar array powering the mine, and 12-megawatt-hour (MWh) Tesla batteries storing excess electricity produced during the day so that the mine can run at night and on days without sunshine."

New generation capacity, not just storage. The mine is up to 1MW and there to use any excess power.

Are the issues with not compatible charging ports locations solved? How? I'm still not convinced this is doing any good. I know I will be very pissed about Etrons blocking two charging stalls.

I do not really know. I have heard about cars blocking two stalls but me sporadically reading foras and checking Norwegian Tesla groups on face haven't heard much about it.

I know Tesla has fitted cameras to some of the stations - to monitor the situation I guess.

1651581416573.png

1651581449530.png

Not based on that article. Two bullet points lower:

"The project will be completely off-grid, said Back, with a Tesla 3.8 MW solar array powering the mine, and 12-megawatt-hour (MWh) Tesla batteries storing excess electricity produced during the day so that the mine can run at night and on days without sunshine."

New generation capacity, not just storage. The mine is up to 1MW and there to use any excess power.
OR - the scarce resources that are (1) 3.8MW of solar panels (about 10-11,000 panels) and (2) 12MWh of Tesla batteries could instead be put to productive use by providing ultra-clean, renewable energy to regions - like mine, but in many other parts of the world as well - that have to rely on inefficient diesel generators, coal-burning power plants and so forth… or Russian natural gas.

You cannot put lipstick on the cryptocurrency pig and call it green - or responsible. That well-moneyed venturers can use their muscle to crowd out other, worthier users of energy makes projects like this even more reprehensible.

I hope this is referring to continued expansion and not a brand new plant. Fairly certain it is.

Time for a new GIGA announcement for another part of the globe. India? South America?

Earlier stories/rumours belived that Tesla had (options to) lease two plots of land bordering on the existing built out crowded plot.

Elon's opening remarks on the Q4 2021 conference call are clear:

Capacity expansion will continue through maximizing output of each factory and building new factories and new locations in the future. Although we're not ready to announce any new locations on this call, but we will get through 2022 look at new locations, and probably be able to announce new locations toward the end of this year, I expect.

So yes, there will be one or two new locations announced by end of this year, or at least by early 2023.

CNBC contributor Pete Najarian says the 1% rise in major indices during the final hour of Monday's session was due in large part to heavy volume in SPY call options, with over 40M contracts traded (17K Aug SPY calls opened at 3 pm):

Stocks stage comeback in final part of trading day | CNBC Television

Some people, or at least one whale, think we're near a bottom. With Wednesday's FED meeting looming, bets are being placed on the outcome (esp. the comments since a 0.5% hike is mostly priced in now).

View attachment 799999

Cheers!

While the chances of the overall market having put in a bottom are higher now than one week ago, two weeks ago, etc, I would caution that it's still far from a sure thing. The chance of TSLA having put in a bottom is higher than that but also far from a sure thing.

Wall Street loves to extend bull runs far past the point they have any business of being and they are just about as fond of driving bearish trends well past their natural level. That's because it removes risk and increases profit for them by ensuring they are in control of the direction. By driving markets lower than their natural states, they virtually guarantee the turn-around will happen at the predictable point of their choosing.

I don't know if this is it or not, but I mention it because this bottom does not have the classical shape of capitulation. My primary point is, we still don't know and people who claim to know are wrong time and time again. No one calls these things with reliable accuracy - the best market prognosticators give the speculator a small statistical edge.

Of course, it doesn't really matter to me as I am already fully positioned for the future. Got TSLA?

Last edited: