Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nope. That would just be Fred Lambert being disingenuous to stir the pot.

These quotas were not going to be met due to supply/covid disruptions. So to be more fair and keep people focused on the plan, Tesla just gave them a bump slightly lower than the bonus they had no chance of getting.

So total cost is up.

It also eliminates an item that Union supporters can use as they try to gain a foothold....

• Helpful
Reactions: Krugerrand
Nope. That would just be Fred Lambert being disingenuous to stir the pot.

These quotas were not going to be met due to supply/covid disruptions.

Why would supply/covid have caused US sales persons to miss delivery quotas?

(for that matter didn't Elon suggest on the Q1 call they expect total deliveries to be largely similar to Q1? Plus- They're Teslas own quotas- they can certainly adjust them during a quarter for out of their control conditions--- I've worked with other companies who did exactly that during various phases of covid disruption)

Thought they did that in 2019.

Nope. 2019 they eliminated one type of incentive (they mention that in the link I posted too) this is eliminating a different one.

Pretty muted/uneventful day so far
I think the Fed interest rate possible increase is today tomorrow at 2:00p (?) eastern time so people might be waiting on that before any real market moves.

p.s. Updated delivery time in my signature for my Model Y, moved closer by about 2 weeks.

Edit: Updated to tomorrow time for Fed meeting. Thanks @Knightshade

Last edited:
These quotas were not going to be met due to supply/covid disruptions. So to be more fair and keep people focused on the plan, Tesla just gave them a bump slightly lower than the bonus they had no chance of getting.
I'm going to guess that your opinion is academical as in reality, based on my son's and numerous other employees paychecks, ALL sales people got a pay cut with this change. Fred was also accurate describing that MOST sales people did get those goals met for last couple years, and where on track to get them met forward (based on first hand knowledge).

From investor's point of view this was a right more - why pay people for goals that would pretty much guaranteed to be met as order book is presold for over a year - and the change would probably result in payroll reductions. From my son point of view - this was a move removing any incentive for salespeople to preform. The effective pay reduction was more than half of the 25% as the 25% bonus was a mix of RSU and options which, usually resulting in much higher end figure when sold/exercised.

Edited last sentence for clarity

Last edited:
From my son's point of view - this was a move removing any incentive for salespeople to perform"
Does your son actually work at Tesla? Surely someone has told him about the climate crisis. I can't think of anything Tesla could do to remove incentive to get fossil fuel cars off the road. The incentive is there whether Tesla exists or not.

A Tesla staff who doesn't want to work (on the transition to sustainable energy) due to something about paychecks probably needs to be replaced by someone who does.

Does your son actually work at Tesla? Surely someone has told him about the climate crisis. I can't think of anything Tesla could do to remove incentive to get fossil fuel cars off the road. The incentive is there whether Tesla exists or not.

A Tesla staff who doesn't want to work (on the transition to sustainable energy) due to something about paychecks probably needs to be replaced by someone who does.
Yes, my son does work at Tesla, sorry if I that was not clear. The tangent of conflating climate change to payroll is amusing. Can you pay your mortage with incentive of "get fossil fuel cars of the road"? Can you feed your family with it? Or pay your doctor? Something.

Yes, my son does work at Tesla, sorry if I that was not clear. The tangent of conflating climate change to payroll is amusing. Can you pay your mortage with incentive of "get fossil fuel cars of the road"? Can you feed your family with it? Or pay your doctor? Something.
I think he's say that anyone working at Tesla should understand the mission comes first. Especially anyone in sales, which Elon despises.

Why would supply/covid have caused US sales persons to miss delivery quotas?

(for that matter didn't Elon suggest on the Q1 call they expect total deliveries to be largely similar to Q1? Plus- They're Teslas own quotas- they can certainly adjust them during a quarter for out of their control conditions--- I've worked with other companies who did exactly that during various phases of covid disruption)
Fair enough. I guess I'm just so stuck thinking about Shanghai, I forget things in Fremont are going fine.

Also forgot my favorite characteristic of Elon as a leader. He absolutely despises sales cost.

I hereby recant my lower cost statement. Fred just gets me ranting before I think.

Is that an educated guess? I'm especially interested in why you think Nashville would be chosen.

Nashville is a rapidly growing city very popular with young professionals. It also has a lower cost base and is surrounded by possible suppliers in all directions. It is also business friendly. It’s pretty close to the population center of gravity, just a bit east. I suspect this factory will specialize in LFP based models like the SR 3, Model 2/Z and Robotaxi.

Nashville is a rapidly growing city very popular with young professionals. It also has a lower cost base and is surrounded by possible suppliers in all directions. It is also business friendly. It’s pretty close to the population center of gravity, just a bit east. I suspect this factory will specialize in LFP based models like the SR 3, Model 2/Z and Robotaxi.
Tesla has stated that Fremont will provide for west coast and Austin for east coast. There is a huge amount of undeveloped land still remaining at the Austin location. I don't think Tesla is going to announce any new USA factories for at least 5 years. Focus will be on growth of existing factories and expansion into new countries.

Tesla has stated that Fremont will provide for west coast and Austin for east coast. There is a huge amount of undeveloped land still remaining at the Austin location. I don't think Tesla is going to announce any new USA factories for at least 5 years. Focus will be on growth of existing factories and expansion into new countries.

Tesla is going to need at least 5m of capacity in North America.

I think their point is that Tesla should have refused the project, and allowed those resources to go elsewhere.
Except this is also aligned with teslas mission, decarbonization of crypto.

See this as a real-world proof of concept that will result in
1) more energy generation and storage business with Tesla technology
2) shift from dirty crypto to clean crypto
3) addresses what to do with local solar energy glut during summer when overbuilding to be able to sustain yourself in the winter, crypto as value storage when you can't use it anywhere else. Of course charging cars would be better, or balancing the grid, but when that is not an option ?

Robotaxis with massive battery charging up and then driving to consumers, i.e. plugging themselves in at a factory to assist power the building ?

I thought for logistical reasons it would make sense to have the third US factory in the one of the north eastern states but I haven’t seen any discussion about this at all.
I will say that both Kansas and Oklahoma have been vying for a very large incentive for some company (rumored to be LG) for the past few months and are passing legislation secretively to give tax incentives for this. Both tried for the deal when Austin was selected but I wouldn't be surprised by another midwest factory given the low costs associated relative to an east coast one and centrally located for anything east of the rockies.

I expect so. We don't want to be so dependent on China.
This article (in traditional Chinese) is advocating for Tesla to open factory in Taiwan (again). Some points they argues are
- 75% of existing parts originate from Taiwan (or from supplier's HQ is established in Taiwan)
- Tesla had a factory and produced first Roadster in Taiwan back in 2008 before closed it and moving back to California.

There are some major mistakes in this article though, such as claim that Tesla's motor is produced in Taiwan by Fukuta. The fact is that Fukuta supplies only parts for the motor.

LTN經濟通》特斯拉 體內流著台廠血液 - 自由財經