Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for correcting me, but my point is simply that I don't see this as a "official Tesla project".
Like, they provided panels and batteries, but were paid 100% to do so.
Do you have evidence of the contrary?
That's a great point! The headline made me think Tesla was more involved, but it very well may just be direct sales. (though it does seem like an ideal setup for testing new technology)

I think their point is that Tesla should have refused the project, and allowed those resources to go elsewhere.
Not my point, Vetenari's. I align more with @Skryll. As to impact on other projects, the system is 1 day of storage and 4 days of solar install capacity.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
Is that an educated guess? I'm especially interested in why you think Nashville would be chosen.
I went to Vanderbilt in Nashville and may be able to answer this.

Nashville has, in no particular order:
  • Ample supply of highly educated workforce and proximity to major STEM research universities
    • Locally: Vanderbilt
    • Regionally: Duke, UNC, Wash. U. in St Louis, Georgia Tech, NC State, U of Cincinnati, etc.
  • Fun culture, arts, food, entertainment and nightlife
    • Popular with the young workers Tesla targets
    • This was a key factor in selecting Austin and Berlin
  • Established automotive industry and suppliers locally and regionally
    • GM, Denso, Toyota, Bridgestone, Nissan, etc.
  • State laws making corrupt UAW have difficulty establishing a foothold
  • Relatively low taxes
  • Affordable cost of living
  • Cheap land
    • Nashville is an inland river city with no adjacent ocean/mountain/lake constraining development
  • Central location in mid-South perfect for logistics
    • As @ZachF pointed out, Nashville is almost exactly at the American/Canadian population center of mass east of the Mississippi River
  • Fairly well established tech startup scene
    • Especially surrounding Vanderbilt campus
  • Relatively tolerable climate and natural beauty
  • Explosive population growth (2.8% annually since 1990) and accompanying construction boom
I think the rumors were that Nashville was the 2nd choice after Austin for Tesla a couple years ago.

Last edited:
1651599817693.png

LOL.

Crazy how no one will bother to solve this for a hundred years if Tesla wasn't even trying.

Tesla is going to need at least 5m of capacity in North America.
Lightbulb. Maybe Elon doesn't want to announce the new locations until FSD beta is statistically safer than a human, since (speculation) these locations could be for Robotaxi production plants. The US will need one of these, as will Europe and China. Given this reasoning, I'd think USA and China are the best guesses.

In other words, Elon would know the market won't react positively to the announcement of robotaxi-factories as long as there is no faith in level 5 being remotely possible (as is the case now with most investors).

I went to Vanderbilt in Nashville and may be able to answer this.

Nashville has, in no particular order:
  • Ample supply of highly educated workforce and proximity to major STEM research universities
    • Locally: Vanderbilt
    • Regionally: Duke, UNC, Wash. U. in St Louis, Georgia Tech, NC State, U of Cincinnati, etc.
  • Fun culture, arts, food, entertainment and nightlife
    • Popular with the young workers Tesla targets
    • This was a key factor in selecting Austin and Berlin
  • Established automotive industry and suppliers locally and regionally
    • GM, Denso, Toyota, Bridgestone, Nissan, etc.
  • State laws making corrupt UAW have difficulty establishing a foothold
  • Relatively low taxes
  • Affordable cost of living
  • Lots of available cheap land
    • Nashville is an inland river city with no adjacent ocean/mountain/lake constraining development
  • Central location in mid-South perfect for logistics
    • As @ZachF pointed out, Nashville is almost exactly at the American/Canadian population center of mass east of the Mississippi River
  • Fairly well established tech startup scene
    • Especially surrounding Vanderbilt campus
  • Relatively tolerable climate
I think the rumors were that Nashville was the 2nd choice after Austin for Tesla a couple years ago.

What I note is that three of the regional Universities mentioned are in NC. Much of the rest is true in NC also. And NC already has the Greensboro Randolph Megasite

But perhaps Toyota will go there? Toyota is coming to the Greensboro-Randolph Megasite, NC Department of Commerce confirms
Article also states Panasonic battery plant nearby.

What I note is that three of the regional Universities mentioned are in NC. Much of the rest is true in NC also. And NC already has the Greensboro Randolph Megasite

But perhaps Toyota will go there? Toyota is coming to the Greensboro-Randolph Megasite, NC Department of Commerce confirms
Yeah, a lot of it is overlapping between Nashville and the Research Triangle in NC, making that a prime candidate as well.

I think Nashville’s biggest comparative advantages are:
  1. The established auto industry manufacturing and talent base
    • Tennessee and neighboring states Alabama, Kentucky, Missouri, Ohio and Indiana dominate American car manufacturing while N Carolina doesn’t make the top ten.
  2. Better traffic
  3. More central location
  4. Cost of living (about 10% less in Nashville than Raleigh)
Nashville is also probably winning slightly on the nightlife/culture point too, but that’s debatable.

Reactions: Nocturnal
I hope the FED is listening.

Kansas City is on the shortlist for Panasonic as well, last I've read. It's a mini-tech hub with cheap costs of living and a great place to have a family. That's why google chose here for the Fiber rollout. You could also play the Kansas side against the Missouri side. It's not too far from Austin in the scheme of things, which could be a benefit or a negative depending on logistics priorities. Shipping east from here would probably suck though as I-70 is crap heading that way.

Hard to argue the points being made for Nashville or the NC research triangle though.

Substantially higher taxes in NC. Doubt it would be in the running, for that reason alone.

Would be of concern if true. My two minute search suggests it is not.
NC sales tax 4.75, corporate rate 2.5 total 7.25
TN sales tax average 9.55%, corporate 6.5% total 16.05

Your case? Is it individual rates? Do corporations care? (note, still cheaper in NC)

Yeah, a lot of it is overlapping between Nashville and the Research Triangle in NC, making that a prime candidate as well.

I think Nashville’s biggest comparative advantages are:
  1. The established auto industry manufacturing and talent base
    • Tennessee and neighboring states Alabama, Kentucky, Missouri, Ohio and Indiana dominate American car manufacturing while N Carolina doesn’t make the top ten.
  2. Better traffic
  3. More central location
  4. Cost of living (about 10% less in Nashville than Raleigh)
Nashville is also probably winning slightly on the nightlife/culture point too, but that’s debatable.
Raleigh is not Greensboro...
Nashville looks to be a nice road hub, so does Greensboro.

And, what does Nashville have all set to go? Greensboro has done a lot of legwork on that megasite to get things moving quickly.

Reactions: Nocturnal
Raleigh is not Greensboro...
Nashville looks to be a nice road hub, so does Greensboro.

And, what does Nashville have all set to go? Greensboro has done a lot of legwork on that megasite to get things moving quickly.
Some background on Tesla and North Carolina...(use reader view if your browser allows it to avoid the pop-up)

"The sister publication to Triad Business Journal reported on Monday that email exchanges between the company, recruiters and local officials indicate Tesla requested specific information on three of the state’s megasites in Chatham, Person and Cabarrus counties before it eventually chose to build its new, $1.1 billion gigafactory in Austin, Texas.

That doesn’t mean that two Triad-area megasites weren’t involved in the initial pitch. Christoper Chung, CEO of Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina, confirmed to Triad Business Journal that it included the Greensboro-Randolph and Chatham-Siler City megasites in its response to the company’s initial inquiry with the state.

“When we have opportunities like Tesla or anything that's involving a large advanced manufacturing opportunity, we present all of it,” Chung said. ”It doesn’t behoove us not to present all the megasites in North Carolina, and usually we do with those types of projects.”

Referred to in internal documents as “Project Panther,” public records released to Triangle Business Journal confirm North Carolina received a request from Tesla for information specific the 2,500-acre Moncure Megasite in Chatham County, the 1,400-acre Person County Mega Park and the 700-acre Grounds at Concord in Cabarrus County.

But the flirtation with the state was brief as communications ended before the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic when Tesla narrowed its site search on the geographic center of the country, specifically Texas and Oklahoma."

Edit: I should note that in the last six months Toyota has selected the Greensboro site for their battery factory and VinFast Global (Vietnamese EV maker) has selected the Chatham-Siler site for their first overseas factory.

Lightbulb. Maybe Elon doesn't want to announce the new locations until FSD beta is statistically safer than a human, since (speculation) these locations could be for Robotaxi production plants. The US will need one of these, as will Europe and China. Given this reasoning, I'd think USA and China are the best guesses.

In other words, Elon would know the market won't react positively to the announcement of robotaxi-factories as long as there is no faith in level 5 being remotely possible (as is the case now with most investors).

That’s why you co-locate some LFP powered 3/2/Z production there too.