Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would find it odd for Tesla to build a new assembly line for the Model 3/ Y and not use Gigacastings.
I think Model Y will use a rear casting, my question is how fast IDRA can build new casting machines and the priorities which determine how machines are used, Also any redesign of Model 3 for castings and 4680 batteries, might need significant engineering resources.

Previously I did think Berlin might do a Model 3 with front/rear castings and a 4680 structural battery. Which could still happen.

I'm reflecting in part on the Model S/X refresh which continued to use 18650 batteries and made minimal changes to the body design.

As it stands Model 3 might be good enough for now, and the priority might be to design new models.

Also perhaps the new facility is for Model Y only and existing lines in the factory which can build 3 and Y will build more Model 3s
Otherwise you are right, more body shop robots would be needed if castings were not used.

Reactions: capster
I think Model Y will use a rear casting, my question is how fast IDRA can build new casting machines and the priorities which determine how machines are used, Also any redesign of Model 3 for castings and 4680 batteries, might need significant engineering resources.

Previously I did think Berlin might do a Model 3 with front/rear castings and a 4680 structural battery. Which could still happen.

I'm reflecting in part on the Model S/X refresh which continued to use 18650 batteries and made minimal changes to the body design.

As it stands Model 3 might be good enough for now, and the priority might be to design new models.

Also perhaps the new facility is for Model Y only and existing lines in the factory which can build 3 and Y will build more Model 3s
Otherwise you are right, more body shop robots would be needed if castings were not used.
Yeah if IDRA can't produce enough Gigapresses then we definitely get into weirdville.

IDRA's capacity to crank out Gigapresses is potentially a big limiters for Tesla's growth.

P. T. Barnum allegedly said "There is no such thing as bad publicity."

I don't know if Elon agrees, but all the negative publicity surrounding his Twitter plan is certainly bringing needed attention to some important issues, such as: Who owns mass media? and Can we trust what they tell us?

Critics proclaiming that Elon threatens democracy, such as Robert Reich, are revealing themselves to be low-information and cognitively dissonant. Another example (emphasis added):

Even if Musk ultimately decides against undoing Twitter's policies, his sole ownership of the company highlights his unaccountable power, said Nicole Gill, co-founder and executive director of Accountable Tech. Gill added that because Musk has sought to pay for Twitter with loans against Tesla and Twitter shares, he could be more vulnerable to downturns in Twitter's business than he may let on.​

So Elon is "unaccountable" but "vulnerable" to consequences of his actions. Nicole should check the definition of "accountable."

Personally, I'm in favor of all the publicity. In addition to increasing attention on Tesla (one of Elon's other "vanity projects"), it might increase public awareness that we need to question what we are told, and try to think a little before repeating it.

Last edited:
CNBC is reporting WSJ reporting EM is discussing taking TWTR public after taking it private. This being said to co-investors.
1651639280698.png

Reactions: UCF3 and SO16
Yeah if IDRA can't produce enough Gigapresses then we definitely get into weirdville.

IDRA's capacity to crank out Gigapresses is potentially a big limiters for Tesla's growth.
But it won't be IDRA making them for any expansion at Shanghai. All of the China Gigapresses have been made by LK Machinery, IDRA's parent company/owner. LK Machinery have demonstrated that they are already making bigger presses than Tesla currently use and appear to have a pretty high rate of production overall. So I don't think Tesla will have much issue getting the extra presses they need for Shanghai's expansion.

Is anyone here or on Twitter tracking the number of Berlin Model Ys delivered in Europe?

Sales data for April should be available for some countries this week, and we know there were no ships from Shanghai. It could be helpful for estimating current run rate and an early estimate for deliveries in Q2.
As far as I know Electric Vehicle registrations in Europe: 14 countries, 90+% of BEV market is the best option? Out of the monthly reporting countries, only Denmark has updated for April at the moment.

QoQ Model Y, Daily Reporting Countries

Premarket looks like a bad sign. Who here are expecting a post fed tech relief rally?
I am but only after the actual hike.

Powell talking afterwards is the wild card and could detonate the market again. Markets have priced in fifty basis point hikes for the next four meetings. Powell introducing a new script will cause volatility to say the least.