Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes.

Ford is in a dilly of a pickle.

By the time F-150 production gets ramped back up. Cybertruck will be hitting the road and eating all top trim market share.

These guys are so F'ed, good thing the "EV subsidies" are really starting to roll in. How many times we gonna bail these clowns out?
Mach e did better this past month, but is just picking up crumbs compared to Model Y. Here's to hoping we hear about a 4680 MIT (Made In Texas) test drive soon!

You can find the European tracker here: Europe Tracker

There were 404 Model Ys registered in Germany for April but I believe these are delayed registrations from Q1 Shanghai shipments.
I believe the May registrations will give us some insight.

View attachment 800368

If I counted correctly 29 DE-P variants of TMY were registered in Norway in April. So 29/45 = 64% which may only be relevant for Norway.

Today I got an email from Tesla inviting me to book a test drive of the TMY Performance.

In addition to the 29 DE-P a few CH-P were registered. My guess is that those might be punching errors? Since they are not yet produced in China? I may be wrong here...

Edit: Added source link: Tesla Registration Stats

Last edited:
Yes.

Ford is in a dilly of a pickle.

By the time F-150 production gets ramped back up. Cybertruck will be hitting the road and eating all top trim market share.

These guys are so F'ed, good thing the "EV subsidies" are really starting to roll in. How many times we gonna bail these clowns out?
One thing I don't understand. GM and Ford have over a century of experience managing supply chains, yet vehicle production is (reportedly) down due to component shortages. Tesla has a few years of managing supply chains-yet their deliveries are up 70-90% YoY (depending on quarter) at the same time. Why are these experienced, "veteran" companies not able to manage supply chains as efficiently as the inexperienced "new kid on the block"?

One thing I don't understand. GM and Ford have over a century of experience managing supply chains, yet vehicle production is (reportedly) down due to component shortages. Tesla has a few years of managing supply chains-yet their deliveries are up 70-90% YoY (depending on quarter) at the same time. Why are these experienced, "veteran" companies not able to manage supply chains as efficiently as the inexperienced "new kid on the block"?
Vertical integration is one of the big factors. Tesla can "easily" swap certain components to alternate chips and so forth based on availability as they have the ability to modify their own firmware.

Perhaps I'm just a simple fellow, but I'm looking at AMD with a 34 PE yesterday and 71% sales growth.....

I look around and see select leaders with obviously excessive PE compression. How you gonna lose money a year from now investing in TSLA, AMD, GOOG today?

Yep. In this bear market PE compression on growth stocks is a real thing. It's one reason why I feel TSLA might trade relatively sideways for a year or two before it really takes off, bringing our PE down to something much lower which Wall Street will feel more comfortable with.

I'm not sure that's the case, Tesla has cut all sorts of features over this time to continue delivering vehicles from lumbar support to radar sensors to steering components necessary for the redundancy required to bring FSD to anything beyond a Level 2 ADAS.

Almost all of Tesla's sales are the Model 3 and Y, which share like 75% of their parts if I recall correctly, and with limited customization options. Just the simplicity of the supply chain is likely a big factor and is likely a big factor in Tesla's current profit margins.
It was definitely one of the big factors, during some of last year, they literally said as much. I was not trying to argue it was the only factor, and the vertical integration goes beyond just chip swapping, it's an overall reduction in reliance on third party suppliers.

I'm not sure that's the case, Tesla has cut all sorts of features over this time to continue delivering vehicles from lumbar support to radar sensors to steering components necessary for the redundancy required to bring FSD to anything beyond a Level 2 ADAS.

Almost all of Tesla's sales are the Model 3 and Y, which share like 75% of their parts if I recall correctly, and with limited customization options. Just the simplicity of the supply chain is likely a big factor and is likely a big factor in Tesla's current profit margins.

Your name isn't that of a man of strength nor a bird. I'm confused. o_O

'Component shortages' can and is used by GM and F to provide false justification of production decrease. While it is actually is a problem, the extent they use it is just a lie.

To uninformed mob, media and ivestors it does sound better than 'insert actual reasons here' :
-our products are not competitive anymore so we can't sell as much as we used to.
-we have zero EV strategy and we just have shown mockups instead of actual products (GM/Nikola)
-our tech is years behind and we'll need bailout eventually.
-and so forth...

Instead they just say "component shortages" which apparently explains all of actual hidden problems.

It's valuable to see what analysts are treating other high growth tech companies with more than perfect earnings so then people wouldn't think wall street has some kind of vendetta against Tesla.
Nah. There’s a vendetta and a whole bunch of other things.

I’m privy to some new information about stuff I suspected (and others here have suspected), now entirely confirmed. Sorry, can not share details at this time. Let’s just say that the size of your account opens doors and gives access to people and resources otherwise not available to us plebes. They accidentally let a plebe enter and showed their hand. I may have told them to stuff it. 😉

It might be argued that GM and Ford produce a lot more vehicles and thus all that goes with that. Easier to increase production from a much lower starting point.

Regardless, your point is valid and of course we know why. Tesla is more vertically integrated, they didn’t reduce their contracts when the pandemic hit, they are more agile and quicker to respond to things and they’re prepared to try everything including the kitchen sink to make things work.

Vertical integration is one of the big factors. Tesla can "easily" swap certain components to alternate chips and so forth based on availability as they have the ability to modify their own firmware.
Quite true. Vertical integration also means they can develop proprietary technology that gives them a further advantage over their competition. Funny thing is, most automakers used to be quite vertically integrated. Around the 1980s it became trendy to "flatten the structure", to outsource a lot of engineering and manufacturing, and only do assembly. Even that was minimized, as many systems were pushed to be purchased as "modules", ready to be bolted in along the manufacturing floor. All part of the danger of the MBA mentality and following the latest fad.

The other factor is that EVs are much simpler vehicles (notwithstanding initial R&D and scaling of manufacturing of appropriate technologies). Lots fewer components leads to fewer sources of supply disruption. Unfortunately the one component they are especially dependant on is microchips and microcontrollers.