Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Perhaps it was a bit hyperbolized. The car drives like new now. But we just depleted our emergency fund for some other issues and to sell stock to pay for these repairs is a real setback. Talking to the lady who was so negative about the Model X was also a downer.
We have never driven high end cars before. Our last car was a Hyundai Santa Fe. Never had these kind of costs with it. I just wish I new before so I could prepare for it. Now I know that I should build a reserve for when it happens again in 105,000 miles.
Sorry for your repair bills....it does hit you in the wallet with such a bill, did you maybe try to talk to your SA since you know her well for a 'discounted rate' maybe on labor or parts by any chance?

"Soft landing" and "not currently considering" .75pt raises for the next few meetings is quite dovish IMO.

To me this translates to something equal to or less than the consistent .5pt raises for the next few meetings. Opens the possibility of ratching down to .25 if deemed appropriate.

Good stuff for the summer IMO. My big worry was that MM's and hedgies would have a backdrop of Fed fear for the whole summer, which makes manipulations even easier for them.

He was pretty clear: 50 bps raises for the forseeable future, didn't mention "lower" than that.

FWIW - Dutchie's been a pretty regular member of TMC and not a TSLAQ type at all. I just assume these comments are the shock of having to pay a bunch of money for unexpected repairs. Believe me, I've been there. I owned a MB C class after all. Never got out of the shop for under $2000 regardless of why I brought it in there. I felt exactly like you feel now. All I can say is that at least it was at 100K instead of 25K for you. Totally understand how you feel, though. Nobody likes to get this kind of surprise. Hang in there.
Actually better at 25k miles as it’s covered under warranty; I will have the same service done again soon (42k miles), and it will again be covered under warranty.

I will drive differently going forward and as I eluded to earlier; I’m convinced this is a known issue and hopeful that the refreshed X suspension parts will be backward compatible.

Was driving Uber with my '18 M3 and some lady was raving about her new Audi, it has a panoramic LCD screen and she can change the color.

Oookay, I was 'pleasantly amazed' and spent the drive talking about cars, received a $3 tip and glad I didn't compare, really wanted to but sometimes you have to hold it in.
She failed to disclose the fact that she was riding UBER because her Audi was at the dealer for an "OTA Update" :)

Actually better at 25k miles as it’s covered under warranty; I will have the same service done again soon (42k miles), and it will again be covered under warranty.

I will drive differently going forward and as I eluded to earlier; I’m convinced this is a known issue and hopeful that the refreshed X suspension parts will be backward compatible.
I have a Model X 2017... my daughter (5mph- 0mph) curbed the right front wheel and it resulted in $16,000 in damage to the suspension, during the repair the left side components were recommended/replaced because the engineering design had changed. (04/2020)

FWIW - Dutchie's been a pretty regular member of TMC and not a TSLAQ type at all. I just assume these comments are the shock of having to pay a bunch of money for unexpected repairs. Believe me, I've been there. I owned a MB C class after all. Never got out of the shop for under $2000 regardless of why I brought it in there. I felt exactly like you feel now. All I can say is that at least it was at 100K instead of 25K for you. Totally understand how you feel, though. Nobody likes to get this kind of surprise. Hang in there.
Thank you, appreciate these kind words.

He was pretty clear: 50 bps raises for the forseeable future, didn't mention "lower" than that.
.50 bps raises are "on the table" for the next few meetings. To me that reads as .75 extremely unlikely and .25 is somewhere below 25% chance of happening any of the next few.

IMO we're getting close to the inflation fever breaking and I think it'll break in dramatic fashion starting with oil futures. If we see Putin declare victory and head back to Moscow, the whole thing unravels and you might see .25 as we head into fall 3 meetings from now.

Hope these problems are not normal as I await my new X ( 2 more mths ...)
I have a Model X 2017... my daughter (5mph- 0mph) curbed the right front wheel and it resulted in $16,000 in damage to the suspension, during the repair the left side components were recommended/replaced because the engineering design had changed. (04/2020)
One of the advantages of Tesla getting into the insurance business is they will end up paying for at least some of these expensive repairs. Gives them incentive to fix the underlying issues quicker.

In theory anyhow.

Some background on Tesla and North Carolina...(use reader view if your browser allows it to avoid the pop-up)

"The sister publication to Triad Business Journal reported on Monday that email exchanges between the company, recruiters and local officials indicate Tesla requested specific information on three of the state’s megasites in Chatham, Person and Cabarrus counties before it eventually chose to build its new, $1.1 billion gigafactory in Austin, Texas.

That doesn’t mean that two Triad-area megasites weren’t involved in the initial pitch. Christoper Chung, CEO of Economic Development Partnership of North Carolina, confirmed to Triad Business Journal that it included the Greensboro-Randolph and Chatham-Siler City megasites in its response to the company’s initial inquiry with the state.

“When we have opportunities like Tesla or anything that's involving a large advanced manufacturing opportunity, we present all of it,” Chung said. ”It doesn’t behoove us not to present all the megasites in North Carolina, and usually we do with those types of projects.”

Referred to in internal documents as “Project Panther,” public records released to Triangle Business Journal confirm North Carolina received a request from Tesla for information specific the 2,500-acre Moncure Megasite in Chatham County, the 1,400-acre Person County Mega Park and the 700-acre Grounds at Concord in Cabarrus County.

But the flirtation with the state was brief as communications ended before the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic when Tesla narrowed its site search on the geographic center of the country, specifically Texas and Oklahoma."

Edit: I should note that in the last six months Toyota has selected the Greensboro site for their battery factory and VinFast Global (Vietnamese EV maker) has selected the Chatham-Siler site for their first overseas factory.

I live in the county just north of Chatham (NC), and travel through it multiple times a month. It seems to me that connecting from there to any interstate would be a nightmare within the next 10 years until the road system is dramatically expanded.

• Helpful
Reactions: ALdawg and Thumper
She failed to disclose the fact that she was riding UBER because her Audi was at the dealer for an "OTA Update" :)

Haha, she did tell me she purchased because the new Audi's use the same engine as Porsche Cayenne. I mean, I purchased the acceleration boost, 0-60 in 3.8sec? My childhood dream was purchasing a Porsche 911; it's cool my car's comparably fast without having to purchase the optional 8K cup holders. It's funny how your childhood dream of owning a sports car get's squashed when you drive a tesla. Everything changes.

Last edited: