Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OT: Stanford starting an entire climate school

Hey guys, do you need a Dean?

I've got a PhD and am a experienced TSLA investor.

6ey8hx.jpg
1651702356217.jpeg

Nobody pointed out to them the irony they are using an ICE car for this faculty?
They are just like all the politicians that talk the climate talk…. They just see it as an opportunity to make $ 😄

You don’t need a school for climate education, I learned more than any schooling will provide just by joining TMC… and it’s free (and fun… well only when the stock is up)

Nobody pointed out to them the irony they are using an ICE car for this faculty?
That SUV is from Earth, Energy, and Environmental Science which predates the recent gift for a School of Sustainability.

General useful items for a field vehicle:
1. Cargo, people, and towing capacity
2. Ground clearance
3. Ability to go to remote locations
SoS will hopefully get a Cybertruck or two...

So, I have a fundamental question about Tesla's pricing strategy. When the Model 3 was first released, customers had access to the full federal tax credit of $7K. As the rebate decreased and ultimately disappeared, prices continued to decrease. I remember thinking "how will the competition ever catch Tesla if they keep sharing their economies of scale with the customer?" Just after the last price reductions of February 2021, I began to invision the inevitable fulfillment of their mission as Tesla was making the best products AND at the lowest prices! Then it stopped. Prices started increasing and haven't stopped. The LR TM3 is up 22% since March 2021.

Maybe the competition didn't come. Maybe inflation was coming. Maybe margins were too thin. Maybe demand was too high. Maybe supply was too low. Maybe it's those things and many more. But, I don't have the same feeling about Tesla sharing those economies of scale with the customer anymore. I think Tesla's 3/Y products have gotten very expensive and many people that were thinking of stretching can't at these prices. I know margins are epic and I should rejoice as a stockholder. But, what fundamentally changed this trajectory in March 2021?
Tesla model 3 price history .png

Pros:
  • Catfish

Cons:
  • Country music

It's a tough one.
The food scene in Nashville is awesome. I’ve been going on a food tour making YouTube videos since I retired off Tesla stock and so far my favourite food city is Nashville!

I didn’t like all the country music either. There are a few bars that didn’t play country music. The Kidd Rock bar was a ton of fun!

Mod: End this. Everyone.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I have a fundamental question about Tesla's pricing strategy. When the Model 3 was first released, customers had access to the full federal tax credit of $7K. As the rebate decreased and ultimately disappeared, prices continued to decrease. I remember thinking "how will the competition ever catch Tesla if they keep sharing their economies of scale with the customer?" Just after the last price reductions of February 2021, I began to invision the inevitable fulfillment of their mission as Tesla was making the best products AND at the lowest prices! Then it stopped. Prices started increasing and haven't stopped. The LR TM3 is up 22% since March 2021.

Maybe the competition didn't come. Maybe inflation was coming. Maybe margins were too thin. Maybe demand was too high. Maybe supply was too low. Maybe it's those things and many more. But, I don't have the same feeling about Tesla sharing those economies of scale with the customer anymore. I think Tesla's 3/Y products have gotten very expensive and many people that were thinking of stretching can't at these prices. I know margins are epic and I should rejoice as a stockholder. But, what fundamentally changed this trajectory in March 2021?
View attachment 800550

IMO, it was a significantly greater increase in EV (primarily Tesla) demand than expected, spurred on primarily by the COVID outbreak, the resultant "free money" infusion by the government, and the rise in oil prices.

It's imperative that Tesla try to keep wait times for purchasing their vehicles below a year. Tesla is already doing everything they can in order to ramp up their vehicle production as much as possible (i.e. - increasing supply), so they also need to decrease demand for their products as well. Tesla's strategy for this has been to increase prices and focus on selling higher margin vehicles first, both of which are also better for Tesla's bottom line.

You can have Tesla without TSLA, but you can't have TSLA without Tesla. Tesla continues to improve on all metrics. Only a matter of time for TSLA to follow.

Some here suggesting TSLA remains flat (net result flat) for next one to two years. IMHO the 2-year trend line is holding up well and will continue to do so. Never a staight line, but the year over year trend remains positively upward. Trend is pointing directly to set new ATH by end of year.

The trend is your friend.
Screen Shot 2022-05-04 at 8.53.58 PM.png

IMO, it was a significantly greater increase in EV (primarily Tesla) demand than expected, spurred on primarily by the COVID outbreak, the resultant "free money" infusion by the government, and the rise in oil prices.

It's imperative that Tesla try to keep wait times for purchasing their vehicles below a year. Tesla is already doing everything they can in order to ramp up their vehicle production as much as possible (i.e. - increasing supply), so they also need to decrease demand for their products as well. Tesla's strategy for this has been to increase prices and focus on selling higher margin vehicles first, both of which are also better for Tesla's bottom line.
Exactly this. My wife ordered a Model Y last August and expected delivery is this July-August. If prices were lower, demand would be higher and wait times would be well over a year.

Prices will come down when production catches up to demand. Hopefully Berlin and Texas can ramp up quickly.