Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the macro is bad, there go the multiples on P/S.

IMO - In this type of scenario, its best to look at companies that have strong revenue, margins, and un-disrupted supply chains that fit the new normal in the macro.

Tesla is still there, thankfully.

Ford's latest ad taking a swipe at Elon. If the Superbowl ads were any indication, this should drive more Tesla orders, lol.
I picked up a dark side to this clip about the jobs in the balance. Summon the UAW core spirit to fight back. That's all great, but what about Ford's projected margins when all those production numbers are attempted?

Hey, does anyone have a worker/unit ratio, to compare labor efficiency? Seems that would be the purest indicator toward their automation goals and cost targets.

So Bill Gates contribution towards climate change is to bet against the companies doing the most to combat it? I'm amazed the interviewer didn't burst out laughing as Bill gives his reasoning on his short position.
Bill Gates and the truth were never very well acquainted. Not only is his history one of illegal business practices (Windows literally stole design idea from Apple in 1980s, lawsuits were launched about that, and then the Federal anti-trust lawsuits about Internet Explorer, etc.), but the guy dissembled so much under oath that he gave politicians a run for their money in that area.

Bill Gates and the truth were never very well acquainted. Not only is his history one of illegal business practices (Windows literally stole design idea from Apple in 1980s, lawsuits were launched about that, and then the Federal anti-trust lawsuits about Internet Explorer, etc.), but the guy dissembled so much under oath that he gave politicians a run for their money in that area.
And Apple stole it from Xerox. :D To be fair though, he didn't even make DOS but bought it from someone who didn't know any better.

This has got to be one of the most idiotic posts re: Germany / renewables / fossil fuels I've ever read on this forum. Congratulations.

I....just...cannot... my time is too valuable to me to pick your post apart sentence for sentence, but rest assured that you have no idea what you are talking about on this topic. Who do you think championed a switch to renewables GLOBALLY in the early 2000s?

Or did you forget to add the /S for sarcasm tag...?
While I generally like your posts, this is not constructive.

What’s with the ad hominem attack? @Cosmacelf has offered many cogent and constructive posts. He deserves a respectful and thoughtful reply if any of us does.

Our time is valuable too. Perhaps you can articulate a rebuttal so we can see what you are talking about otherwise it just seems like defensive lashing out.

I’ve worked with Germans and I like them and respect them. I’ve been to Germany many times—Frankfurt in particular—and like it as a country. As with any country, it has contradictions which I‘ll refrain from pointing out other than to say that the carbon footprint of its automobile exports has always dimmed my respect for its environmental leadership.

The energy transformation is getting rocky and more challenging. None of us is likely to be able to tease apart the implications alone so it is the work of more than one person. Hence, it behooves us to offer constructive feedback with grace—especially as that feedback may itself be in need of modulation or correction.

Last edited:
My source is me. :) It's really hard to quantify this I think. Some routes have me turning every half mile, others might have miles of straight roads. Which trip should be considered as more relevant?

We have slightly better sources - crowd sourced, that indicate ~ 1 in 10 miles. BTW, you should log how many miles you are doing and how many disengagements / interventions of what type. Only then you get a good sense of "average disengagements". Many of us who follow this more seriously also record all our drives.

You can also participate in this crowd source effort.

1651764845727.png

Here is the result of the poll in this forum.

1651764928118.png

You do know Apple stole ideas for MacOs from Xerox as well.

In the meantime, while we argue over whether the stock will go up or down tomorrow, rehash the yoke steering debate, and ruminate on how similar today is to the end of the USSR, etc., here's what Tesla is doing:

View attachment 800773

As shown, Model Y continues its rapid strategic advance, with Model 3 in close air support. Apparently Tesla is keeping their heads down to avoid shrapnel, their masks on to minimize Covid, and their umbrellas up against the macro inflation 'weather'.

Patience, young Jedis. The future is coming and being built in the best factories ever made.

Model Y will continue to crush ICE and the competition. Prices will lower when Mission strategy demands it.

I know that graph has been posted before but it bears repeating and we bear the occasional refocusing. The tactic for 2022 is to flood the market with Model Y's and Tesla is proceeding on mission and on target.

HODL like our lives depend on it.
I would love GLJ to say 'the competition is coming: The Chery QQ Ice Cream will crush Tesla'

I really hate this patriotic slant of these ads.

“Patriotic” lol

It is kinda funny to see them take swipes at the guy who has probably done more for the brand of “Made in the USA” than anyone in the last 50 years… especially companies like Ford who have been run by MBA types leading the charge to hollow out American industry.

Also, Ford makes ~1.6m cars in the US, that will be matched by Fremont and Austin alone late next year.

Anyway, whilst I am well aware of ===>the French having long been a blocker of Spain's infrastructure connectivity<=== (road, rail, gas pipeline, oil pipeline, electrical grid) I am not aware of any German role in that de facto strategy of impeding Spanish market access northwards. What evidence do you have to support that assertion as it is interesting. (I used to live smack in the middle of the Pyrenees, so I am very aware of what should have been done long ago, but the French always found convenient to never actually do). I'm really not aware of a German role in this, hence my question.
Lest anyone think I am condoning, let alone augmenting, the off-topic and politically divisive discussion regarding any U.S. administration's role re Germany and Russian oil because I most adamantly am not, another side-thread emerged within these posts that is worth investigating, as italicized above:

1. Two posters referred to this point of French obstreperousness.

2. @ZeApelido (or if it was another, I apologize..{to @ZachF - courtesy of @Tim S} ) posited several days ago his opinion that Nashville and Spain ought be the next sites for Tesla automotive Gigafactories. Nashville generated a lot of responses, mostly lamentably off-topic, but Spain got not a peep.

3. Most importantly, yesterday Herbert Diess revealed that VW was embarking on a full, vertically-oriented EV plant in Spain, to the tune of a €10 billion investment.

This thread rarely has had input from any Iberian, other than a Canary Islander whose mainland expertise may be lacking; whether our esteemed retired global banker has direct experience in Spain I do not know; my sole time there was in language school...so we badly need someone with knowledge in this matter.

Good for EVs, for VW, for the European market and for Spain, et tant pis pour les gauloises.

Last edited:
Looking into this, maybe Tesla is playing big sibling to Rivian, as a little sibling, and not cannabalizing the production/sales of another very strong EV company that's basically a part of the Tesla people network?
It always amazes me how people come up with convoluted alternate truths to why a company does something.

There are key pieces which need to be in place before Cybertruck production can start. An 8k Ton Gigapress, high speed stainless folding equipment, and 4680 cell production in Texas, are the biggies. Those pieces are not ready yet. So no Cybertruck.

Usually the simplest explanation is the truth and that’s almost certainly the case here. Tesla is late with the Cybertruck because it took longer to get the pieces in place then they planned. Even if the Gigapress and folding equipment were ready, without adequate 4680 production they wouldn’t start production.

“Patriotic” lol

It is kinda funny to see them take swipes at the guy who has probably done more for the brand of “Made in the USA” than anyone in the last 50 years… especially companies like Ford who have been run by MBA types leading the charge to hollow out American industry.

Also, Ford makes ~1.6m cars in the US, that will be matched by Fremont and Austin alone late next year.
Yea, that kind stuff makes me want to puke.

And the digs at Elon, like it suggested that he wants to go to Mars cuz he's a quitter was quite the tripe lol. Like really Ford, how low must you stoop and then to layer on top all the patriotic crap. 🤮

True enough about Windows and Gates (not a fan), but at the same time, the original Mac OS was "stolen" from Xerox and their PARC os.

It always amazes me how people come up with convoluted alternate truths to why a company does something.

There are key pieces which need to be in place before Cybertruck production can start. An 8k Ton Gigapress, high speed stainless folding equipment, and 4680 cell production in Texas, are the biggies. Those pieces are not ready yet. So no Cybertruck.

Usually the simplest explanation is the truth and that’s almost certainly the case here. Tesla is late with the Cybertruck because it took longer to get the pieces in place then they planned. Even if the Gigapress and folding equipment were ready, without adequate 4680 production they wouldn’t start production.

That's fair, it's also fair to state that a proposed hypothetical question (in order to pontificate on the situation) isn't a fact...nor should it be perceived as such!

Just FYI, there is speculation that Tesla is working on different technologies for Cybertruck to enable production to scale and/or reach cost targets. Based on Texas gigafactory Cybertruck close examinations showing the new prototypes having wavy steel on a close inspection, people are speculating that Tesla will be cold rolling their own steel and/or have a different production process than how they made the initial prototypes. Anyways, this is just further evidence/speculation that your overall point is correct in that Tesla still has some R&D to do before they can make Cybertruck.