Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on today's low I've updated the price to sales valuation numbers. As I've stated before this is a quick and dirty valuation estimate. I use a simple trailing twelve month average of revenue divided by veh.

The estimates will not account for future increases/decreases in ASP or revenue from non-veh sales. As such, the further out the forecast, the worse the forecast will be.

2022q1q2q3q4
trailing production1054115312961505
trailing revenue62,190,000.0066,874,000.0075,168,000.0087,290,000.00

For 2022 I assumed about equal q2 production as q1 and then a ramp to end the year near 1.5M vehicles produced. Based on today's low share price of $781 we now have a low (for now) price to sales ratio of 13.

P/S ratioQ1Q2Q3Q4
13$782$841$946$1,098
15$903$971$1,091$1,267
20$1,203$1,294$1,455$1,689

This is a backwards looking valuation method and not ideal for a growth stock, however I like to use it to come to an idea on rough valuation without the fluctuations often found in earnings numbers.

For 2023 I assume 14% quarterly production growth and leave revenue per vehicle unchanged.

2023q1q2q3q4
trailing production1785.962148.95442529.4680162883.593538
trailing revenue103,585,680.00124,639,355.20146,709,144.93167,248,425.22

And here are the corresponding share price estimates using the same price to sales ratio:

P/S ratioQ1Q2Q3Q4
13$1,303$1,568$1,845$2,104
15$1,503$1,809$2,129$2,427
20$2,005$2,412$2,839$3,237

As most of us agree, the driving force behind share appreciation will be continued revenue growth, increasing margins, and ever growing profits. As Tesla continues to exhibit these factors quarter after quarter and consensus on future growth improves I suspect we will see price to sales valuations climb back toward 20

From its peak on that one day rally Wednesday POST Fed, the QQQs are down over 10%.

That is a correction in three trading days.

Today, everything fell big, including GOLD. Safe Havens? I guess that would be SHORT or CASH. Or war / oil stocks. Everything seems to move in lockstep now. Guess this is what they mean by diversification.
I just wish I had been smart enough to buy crypto to hedge against inflation.

Fanfreakentastic

China needs to swallow their pride and order western-developed COVID vaccines, mass-vaccinate, and get things back on track for all their companies. ZERO-COVID is a failed experiment with a virus this contagious.

The hedgies are going to have a field day with this tomorrow.

Hoping against hope that Tesla can accelerate the ramp of Berlin and Austin. If anything, this has shown us we are current too dependent upon Shanghai in order to hit targets. Diversify diversify diversify.

Well those protective 750 puts I bought to manage my margin sure are coming in handy. o_O
Pretty sure Tesla will move with macro more than these day to day news. So if Macro is super green tomorrow, Tesla will follow.

With that being said, if its some wiring harness or whatever, I can see Tesla air dropping US made parts into shanghai to keep production going for the time being. It's a good thing Tesla makes Model 3s and Ys just about everywhere and they have pretty much the same parts.

Pretty sure Tesla will move with macro more than these day to day news. So if Macro is super green tomorrow, Tesla will follow.

With that being said, if its some wiring harness or whatever, I can see Tesla air dropping US made parts into shanghai to keep production going for the time being.

Since Monday morning Shanghai is Sunday night in the US, maybe some of the dip today was people front-running the news?

Reactions: elasalle
China needs to swallow their pride and order western-developed COVID vaccines, mass-vaccinate, and get things back on track for all their companies. ZERO-COVID is a failed experiment with a virus this contagious.

Hoping against hope that Tesla can accelerate the ramp of Berlin and Austin. If anything, this has shown us we are current too dependent upon Shanghai in order to hit targets. Diversify diversify diversify.
Xi's ego and grip on power getting in the way of what is best for the country. Wants to take a sledgehammer to a intangible virus.

You are under the assumption that China isn't doing this intentionally. But that's definitely not the subject of this thread.