Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
694.20 seems like a good price to me.

$734.00 - 10% = $660.60

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2022-05-12.09-45.png

No, I am saying it is foolish to predict a bottom, call a bottom, trade a bottom.

I agree with this.

I see posters claiming TSLA's PE can't fall below 100, or 50, or any such low number because Tesla is growing too much to allow that. But it can. PE is determined by the market, and it can be anything the market makes it be. TSLA can certainly go down to a PE of 50 if the market wills it. Sure it might not make sense given Tesla's growth, sure it might seem ridiculous to us, but it still can go down that low if the market is bearish enough and we enter recession territory. It is possible.

None of us know where this is going or where the bottom is, or even if TSLA can drop below $600 per share and possibly even trade down there for an extended time. It can happen.

The best, safest strategy is to simply buy shares regularly and hold for the long term. When in doubt zoom out. TSLA is going way up over the next few years, but in the short term we might be stuck down in the gutter for a bit...

Yes, but that got sold the crap out of yesterday!
Markets always overshoot and react... it scares people to panic sell and then the big money scoops in.

There are a ton of metrics showing how oversold this market is. Here's one... RSI for the Nasdaq is 26. Last time that happened was Covid (which didn't get below 25). To get below 25, you have to go to the great recession. Even the dot com bubble didn't get below 25. So maybe we get to the 25s... but below that is a whole system meltdown. If you think we are in the midst of that, then I can't convince you otherwise.

P/E are so irrelevant, especially trailing ones, that it gets nauseating to hear
it mentioned every other post.

Some companies are trading below book value and still being sold.
Basing personal valuation off the price of shares and historical earnings is irrelevant? What's your system....you like their colors?

...since Shanghai is only working with one 8hr shift.

... for 3 more days. Giga Shanghai returns to 2 shifts on Mon, May 16th. Anticipated production run rate is 2,600 per day (Jan Q1 was only 2,200). None of this is properly factored in, except by Tesla's CEO in the Q1 Earnings call, which analyists choose to ignore.

Buffet famously said that only when the tide goes out do you see who is naked. I’d change that to, only when the tide comes in do you see who can swim.

All stocks get hammered in a market rout like this, and higher beta stocks like TSLA get hammered more. It has nothing to do with company fundamentals.

But when the tide turns, I’m betting on TSLA to quickly recover, while some meme and other overvalued stocks languish.

I just bought a few more shares, and will buy more if the SP keeps going down. Tesla’s ability to swim fast is unchanged.

Basing personal valuation off the price of shares and historical earnings is irrelevant? What's your system....you like their colors?
Discounted future earning, and or discounted net free cash flow .
mkt cap is what you pay, net free cash flow is what you receive.

elon mentioned during FT interview that he anticipates massive future net free cash flow

All stocks get hammered in a market rout like this, and higher beta stocks like TSLA get hammered more. It has nothing to do with company fundamentals.

But when the tide turns, I’m betting on TSLA to quickly recover, while some meme and other overvalued stocks languish.

Yep, when the market turns around TSLA will do supremely well. The thing to strongly consider is it might be quite some time before this market turns around or begins to improve.

Reactions: tslagreen and JRP3
Markets always overshoot and react... it scares people to panic sell and then the big money scoops in.

There are a ton of metrics showing how oversold this market is. Here's one... RSI for the Nasdaq is 26. Last time that happened was Covid (which didn't get below 25). To get below 25, you have to go to the great recession. Even the dot com bubble didn't get below 25. So maybe we get to the 25s... but below that is a whole system meltdown. If you think we are in the midst of that, then I can't convince you otherwise.

Markets can be irrational.

Markets being irrational is how many here made their $$$. How many years now has the market estimated comically low earnings and sales growth for Tesla? Hell their 2023 estimates are barely above what Tesla achieved last quarter!

You can make even more money on market irrationality now by BTMFD.

Last edited:
Is anyone else who doesn't use margin considering using some? My stock is in Chase but I have a TD account with a decent approved amount of margin that I used to day trade in. If things get even uglier from here [$500s] I'm considering moving my holdings back over to TD and buying some TSLA on margin. How long do such transfers usually take? I have the $50k buffer in my Roadster deposit if needed. I'd cancel that today if I knew I'd get the funds soon but I hear it's a nightmare that can take over a month. I'm in a very solid financial situation but don't have more equity to put into the market as I used the last of my powder on a LEAP yesterday. I'm cool and calm as I know this is simply an opportunity but I can't help thinking I should consider taking more advantage of said opportunity.