Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I tried to get greedy today and for the first time in a couple years I sold a few hundred shares at 690 thinking we were going to have another 8% drop only to have to buy back my shares an hour later at 720. It was an instant lesson on you can't time the market. Now it's time to try and get cash to buy more shares the old fashioned way, with cash.
That's exactly how to think of it. We don't lose money in the stock market.. we simply pay tuition and some lessons cost more than others 😂

Agree, but they are ramping. After watching YT reviews, it seems they are making a good product.

The Lightning also appears to be solid. And I think this bodes very well for CT to be an even better truck.

Re: Rivian RT

It had better be a good product considering the first year's production will probably cost roughly over a quarter million or more to produce each one. Making a good product is easy compared to making a good product that can be sold profitably, in volume. I would buy one while I wait for Cybertruck if they were available at MSRP any more than the Cybertruck is currently available. But it's not and I would just be helping Rivian lose more money.

Re: Lightning

You probably have a different definition of "solid" than I do. But, if 12 years from now, half of the early Lightnings are still on the road, I'll admit I was wrong. "Solid" in terms of an EV conversion that came out of uncle Jack's garage, and "solid" in terms of a production EV, are two different things in my book. Ford is so inefficient at manufacturing they will have to cut the same corners on the Lightning that they cut with their current F-150 trucks. If by "solid" you mean overweight and inefficient, then maybe we are on the same page.

With the F-150 Lightning, like the Rivian, profitability is key, something that is not a given. One widespread warranty issue with the drivetrain can completely reverse any small profitability Ford thinks they might have. The same can be said about the Cybertruck but I have much more confidence it can be sold in huge numbers profitably than I do for the Lightning and that warranty expenses will be typical of other Tesla. Even if the Lightning makes a small profit based on a mix of trims weighted heavily towards six digits, can it sell at high volumes at a profit and avoid excessive warranty expenses down the road? Very much an unknown.

The biggest known problem of the Lightning will be that it won't really be a pleasant experience to take it on a long trip on the Interstate. The expected range will not be there, the charge network is in shambles (poorly located and maintained) and the time to charge will be excessive due to it's inefficiency at 70 mph. But, yeah, it will excel at use in a limited geographical area. I really don't see the Lighting being a long-term success unless they completely re-engineer it into a modern truck that no longer pushes wind like it belongs in the last century.

Not my viewpoint (and I'm glad he's looking to ditch the loan), but this could be viewed through the bearish lens of Elon not being confident in the short-term price of TSLA.
A part of me thinks it's a look he tried to create - to trigger massive short selling as a trap by setting his finances up as bait. I'm wishful, but imagine what would happen if something really big were announced out of Tesla? We have no clue how he intends to do his deeds with the shortz, but neither do they in this 3D chess game. It could also be that he just knows they'll get burned in due course purely from '22 growth, and that none of this was planned.
Keep in mind... "A part of me thinks..." = "There is some probability..." So don't read into it too much.

The trouble with any kind of margin or leverage / options stuff, is that you really do NOT know what black swan event may happen tomorrow.

That's true, but it's not even the main trouble with margin loans. The issuers have the right to suddenly change the terms. It kills me when people say "TSLA would have to drop 50% for me to get a margin call." That is false in all cases! The brokerage making the loan can instantly make whatever stock you are borrowing against almost worthless to use as collateral based upon nothing more than the perception your collateral has dropped in value or increased in risk. The actual price doesn't even need to change for them to do that and it's completely beyond your control and can happen without warning. Many people are unaware of this.

Hence my question to people asking if they should use margin loans: Do you aspire to becoming a puppet?

Last edited:
Not my viewpoint (and I'm glad he's looking to ditch the loan), but this could be viewed through the bearish lens of Elon not being confident in the short-term price of TSLA.

I would hope so. No one should be confident of the short-term price of any stock. Elon knows the near-term fundamentals of the company are incredibly strong, but he also knows that doesn't necessarily translate into a rising share price in the short-term.

So Max Pain is listed as $800 for tomorrow, although the open interest chart shows anything between $780-$800 is basically just as good for the MMs, and even down to $750 the difference is pretty small (red put spike at 780 barely higher than green call spike):
View attachment 803319
So isn't MMs supposed to help push the stock above 780 (or at least above 750) by tomorrow close ?
Or max pain only works when it is below the current SP ? (MM's law of special relativity...)
I thought the VOLUME (second chart) told the story of how much had been sold/held?
and that would have the MaxPain at 700-730.

Man, TSLA is really being held down today. Tons of volume but it just can't get itself to go up. Most of my watchlist is very green today, like way up, except for TSLA and a handful of others.

1.54x macros ATM. Its the wider market that's being held down. AAPL -4.84% right now, vs -3.15% for TSLA

But all is not lost because:

When inflation peaks, the market is ready to resume the secular bull uptrend, say BofA's Hyzy

... when the Masters of the Universe are good and g'dam ready, that is.

We are finally seeing some signs of good support across the market and with Tesla. Apple finally breaking down isn't a bad thing either. It really needed to happen for a bottom to set in. Small caps are gaining (some of them quite big). Tesla having a very large volume day. We're close to the end here. Now whether this is a rally back into the middle of a downward channel or not is a question that we probably won't know for another month, but a rally is coming soon.