Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty poor end to the day there for TSLA. First 3-4 hours of the trading day, I thought for sure investors were setting absolute floor to the stock. But then the spoofing started. So easy to see when spoofing steps in with this stock. Now back to grossly underperforming it's beta yet again. So yeah, I'm thinking there's intent on taking TSLA down another leg.

It gets pummeled like a risky growth stock on the down days......and the none of the reward of being a "risky growth" stock on the up days.
Appl and Nvda are like "hold my beer"

OT

I'm especially skeptical of the 40k trim. Feels like a marketing move (to sell stock) than anything. People complained about the 35k SR Tesla being used to upsell to the SR+ but this is a whole other level.

The Lightning will be for people who just can't take the looks of the CT because the price for specs just simply won't be there. I'll also include people who live too far from a Tesla SC in that group.

People seem to love the lightning so far. I'm curious how the Osborning will go.
There is a reason the Ford f-series is the best selling trucks, despite RAM often getting bit better reviews. They are good. Ever toss firewood into the back of a pick up? or reach over the edge for a tool? Wont be able to do that as easily with the cybertruck (the sides slope down). Will the cybertruck hold up as well to the beating? who knows? But essentially will continue to sell well based on its history of providing a really solid truck and for some practical reasons of its design being beter fit for some peoples work.

AAPL PE ratio still looks high to me compared to a 10Y average. I wouldn't be surprised if it drops another 20% or 30%. It dropped to 18 in March 2020, and it has been below 20 for most part of the last decade.

View attachment 803381
If you take into account of $90.00 billions worth of stock buy back P/E is below 15. 580 million shares will retire this year.

AAPL PE ratio still looks high to me compared to a 10Y average. I wouldn't be surprised if it drops another 20% or 30%. It dropped to 18 in March 2020, and it has been below 20 for most part of the last decade.

View attachment 803381

Similarly, the S&P PE around 20 seems high. We might be almost there if this this pullback is as bad as it gets in a decade, but inflation is highest in decades, expected fed funds next year will be the highest since the great recession, and a recession is not baked in. Taking that into account, the S&P PE could easily drop to 18 or even 16, implying another 10-20% drop.

As everyone points out, Walmart is still 30 so the market hasn't capitulated.

I hope Tesla will pull a rabbit out of the hat in Q2. Even if it does, that might not work for the SP any more than the last 2 quarters did.

Reactions: FrankSG
Today was very uplifting for me. We dipped down to $700 and triggered an absolute feeding frenzy that shot SP up 11% in 90 minutes! The bear/bull battle is full throttle right now. Volume on TSLA was bonkers, and elevated for all of tech.

AAPL being down is a great sign we're ready to turn around. The GOOG commentary from Sundar on CNBC today was quite uplifting and bullish. Their PE is sitting at 20.

And I don't want to drift OT, but for the macros to explode up we need Putin to cut a deal and declare victory. With Finland/Sweden threatening to join NATO immediately, I think we can get him to the table now to avoid that happening. Any further interest in this comment, use the Russia/Ukraine thread.
Sweden Finland to NATO ain't gonna be stopped. And Ukraine is going to Spend the $40 Billion of the Lend Lease before any talk of a treaty is going to happen. China just acknowledged that Crimea belongs to Ukraine so the WAR is going to end with Ukraine being made whole again.

Now back to something predictable...like the Stock market

This macro slide has certainly clouded the present, but I think many here are sticking to their conviction that TSLA is going to continue to do amazing things. This crazy PE compression doesn’t illustrate the fact that, like many Wall street darlings, people initially think that TSLA is too expensive and they missed the opportunity to buy it. But with Tesla's sales, margin, demand and money printing outlook being what WE recognize here, there's plenty of time to catch this train. People will figure it out like they did with APPL and AMZN at this stage of their S-curves. Hard to believe any investment in TSLA at today's levels (bottom or not), will be anything other than genius in the long run. I personally mis-timed this entire macro melt down and bought in further at $1,050 and $850...which is poor timing in the short term, but ultimately will still be great. I picked up some more at $788 a couple days ago, but I am really tapped out. It's a really tough market to time! Accumulate & HODL

While TSLA was going down 5-9% day after day for the past couple of weeks, Apple was only down 1-3% each day.
If you look at the pattern today, seems like a rotation into risk. Dow being the laggard, then S&P, Nas, Russell, and then meme stocks lead the way.

We see this pattern even in the tech sector where higher PE stocks lead the way while lower PE stocks went lower.

Similarly, the S&P PE around 20 seems high. We might be almost there if this this pullback is as bad as it gets in a decade, but inflation is highest in decades, expected fed funds next year will be the highest since the great recession, and a recession is not baked in. Taking that into account, the S&P PE could easily drop to 18 or even 16, implying another 10-20% drop.

As everyone points out, Walmart is still 30 so the market hasn't capitulated.

I hope Tesla will pull a rabbit out of the hat in Q2. Even if it does, that might not work for the SP any more than the last 2 quarters did.
What I would give for Tesla go all out on shorts/hedge funds in Q2 buy pushing to the limits to reach Q1's P/D + FSD wide release to unlock the deferred revenue + tax allowance recognition + stock buy back plan announcement + stock split ratio announcement

It's not going to happen, but it would be glorious. I wouldn't even care about the money. I just want to see Wall st bent over.

Last edited:
If you look at the pattern today, seems like a rotation into risk. Dow being the laggard, then S&P, Nas, Russell, and then meme stocks lead the way.

We see this pattern even in the tech sector where higher PE stocks lead the way while lower PE stocks went lower.
I definitely see the overall pattern and that's positive. It's a clear sign of the rotation happening back into growth. And the volumes today make that even more convincing.

But with TSLA specific, it was disappointing to see it capped and then held down starting at 11:08 this morning (pacific time). It won't mean anything come Q3/Q4, but it does tell me Wall St is intent on keeping TSLA low until Q2 passes. I expect the FUD for the next month and a half to be unbearable.

Pretty poor end to the day there for TSLA. First 3-4 hours of the trading day, I thought for sure investors were setting absolute floor to the stock. But then the spoofing started. So easy to see when spoofing steps in with this stock. Now back to grossly underperforming it's beta yet again. So yeah, I'm thinking there's intent on taking TSLA down another leg.

It gets pummeled like a risky growth stock on the down days......and the none of the reward of being a "risky growth" stock on the up days.

There will always be intent by some to take Tesla down a leg (we all know the level of short interest in the stock). There was a lot of strength to the stock today and while it was below the Nasdaq as a whole... today was a bunch of small and medium caps leading the way there. Which as another poster stated is typically a leading indicator. Tesla is a mega cap now and when runs up happen with the whole market, there will be a lag... then it will rocket and lead the way up. It is going to happen again whenever the runs starts (and I think Monday/Tuesday is as good of bet as any). Also of note the put/call ratio looks pretty strong for Tesla today.

If a run by the Nasdaq gets going and gets back above 13,000... I'd be shocked if Tesla isn't back up to 1,000... maybe 1,050.

Just to add a little bit of professionalism to my hopium post about trash stock first to crash and first to lead us out.

" Small-cap stocks are considered by many to be both a gauge of investors' risk appetite as well as a leading indicator of the broader stock market. Therefore, when we see the Russell 2000 surge, especially when large caps lag, it's often seen as a sign that investors are willing to take more risk. And if this is indeed the case, the large caps could soon follow higher."
Robinhood up 20% AH. May fit into that thesis.

Reactions: FireMedic
Reactions: Skipdd