Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In process of switching to IKBR. That’s good to know. I like also that they have ultra low margin interest and automatic selling instead of calls.
Sounds like you're aware, but to reiterate IBKR will, without asking you, liquidate positions on your behalf if you are margin called. As opposed to other brokerages where you'll get a notification or phone call and usually several days to rectify the situation on your own

Sounds like you're aware, but to reiterate IBKR will, without asking you, liquidate positions on your behalf if you are margin called. As opposed to other brokerages where you'll get a notification or phone call and usually several days to rectify the situation on your own
They do warn you on the day of selling that it will happen, and will credit you for deposits from accounts you've used before "instantly" "as a courtesy."

*in my experience, for what it's worth. No promises and no guarantees.

They do warn you on the day of selling that it will happen, and will credit you for deposits from accounts you've used before "instantly" "as a courtesy."

*in my experience, for what it's worth. No promises and no guarantees.
I am using IBKR-Canada so they might have slightly different policies (I have no idea). In my experience they send you notification warning when your remaining available margin drops below 10%. I got such notification twice (once when the Ukraine war broke out, then again on the day Elon started his selling-spree to get cash for Twitter), and when I checked my account, my "excess liquidity" value was very low but still positive, while my "available funds for purchase" was already negative. In both cases I managed to resolve the situation and avoid any auto-liquidation action by them. What made it more difficult to resolve the situation was that they do not allow me to enter any new option position or roll any existing position (tools that would otherwise allow me to improve my situation, e.g. diagonal rolling a BPS to reduce its margin requirement). The only thing I can do at that point is to close existing positions, which makes it a lot harder to fix the problem when you do not have cash, so can't close short put spreads for example.

In short: they do have some warning system, although it comes a bit too late, when you have to fix the situation with one hand tied behind your back.

Berlin ramp looking good - @avoigt reporting:

Minister Steinbach confirmed for
🇩🇪
Giga Berlin, "The second shift is scheduled to start in the second quarter"

(would be cool if you would add a source)

Tweeting out stuff like this is not disseminating the information appropriately, many people don't use social media or don't use Twitter specifically and this information will arrive to them delayed and via some other channel with lacking clarity around necessary details. I don't know what this would result in if anything, but it's just not a good way of doing business.

Apr 2, 2013 · The SEC issued guidance in 2008 clarifying that websites can serve as an effective means for disseminating information to investors if ...

SEC Says Social Media OK for Company Announcements if ... www.sec.gov › news › press-release

Sounds like you're aware, but to reiterate IBKR will, without asking you, liquidate positions on your behalf if you are margin called.
Few hacks:

There is a way to set up alerts on mobile app that will alert you as margin drops dangerously. It only works on mobile app

Buying near the money PUTs might improve margin situation in emergency. One needs to have Above 10% of mrg cushion left to buy anything.

Margin requirement for covered PUT (100 sh + PUT) is, as I see it in Canada, 10% of PUT value + 100% of how much SP is above PUT strike.

2022 was quite scary experience, so far. I have realized that instead of engaging in selling PUTs, which I see now as poor strategy, I should have been PUTs buyer.

@Gigapress
You need to do the math for your situation but buying PUTs ~400 might be better than liquidation order with limit 310.

Those PUTs were very cheap when SP was at ATH

I am using IBKR-Canada so they might have slightly different policies (I have no idea). In my experience they send you notification warning when your remaining available margin drops below 10%. I got such notification twice (once when the Ukraine war broke out, then again on the day Elon started his selling-spree to get cash for Twitter), and when I checked my account, my "excess liquidity" value was very low but still positive, while my "available funds for purchase" was already negative.

Similarly I’ve learned that Funds available to trade is the amount Over 10% of margin cushion. Which I think is excess liquidity divided by Net Liquidation Value.

You can set up multiple alerts in mobile app to notify you as cushion drops. It Only works on mobile app.

I try to stay in 20-30% range and I got alerts set up for 20% and 15% levels.

I would love to be able to setup automatic order to buy PUTs when liquidity falls below 15% to improve margin, but I don’t think it is possible.

Reactions: Huskerfl
Here is a link worth saving and sharing IMO that so far includes 47 posts now that Johnna Crider of Clean Technica has included ventilators among the list of ‘Good’ worth noting that Elon has done outside of Tesla and SpaceX ($100M for fighting Carbon removal, Flint MI water crisis funding, $50M donation to St Jude research above and beyond the $243M donation from Inspiration4 mission, etc,). Hoping a few folks here can help her grow this list to help fight FUD:

Last edited:
Few hacks:

There is a way to set up alerts on mobile app that will alert you as margin drops dangerously. It only works on mobile app

Buying near the money PUTs might improve margin situation in emergency. One needs to have Above 10% of mrg cushion left to buy anything.

Margin requirement for covered PUT (100 sh + PUT) is, as I see it in Canada, 10% of PUT value + 100% of how much SP is above PUT strike.

2022 was quite scary experience, so far. I have realized that instead of engaging in selling PUTs, which I see now as poor strategy, I should have been PUTs buyer.

@Gigapress
You need to do the math for your situation but buying PUTs ~400 might be better than liquidation order with limit 310.

Those PUTs were very cheap when SP was at ATH
Hindsight is 20-20.

Buying long term put options as a hedge against a bear market is a common strategy, but it results in lower overall returns compared to just Hodling or selling calls at ATH as a hedge. The sold calls are rollable for free of charge. The puts require cash influx every time you roll them out.

And by the way, now IS a great time for selling puts.

Tesla raised the price of the Model Y in Norway with 10.000 kroner or about $1025 yesterday.

This to cover the cost of the towbar which used to be optional.

Perhaps this happened in the rest of Europe too? Anyone in the know?

Source: Derfor øker Tesla prisen på Model Y - Tek.no

Norway is a bit protected by being a petro-state, but European currencies are plunging in value. Europeans should expect price rises.

Ha hah hah ... someone has posted these remarks on Jonas' YouTube post, so head on there and thumb up that comment to give it more visibility. Can't believe how much longer our establishment can keep up the multiple charades. Maybe that's why they got the Ukraine theater going - what next, food shortages and riots?

Yeah, couldn't find that comment. Are you aware that you can link directly to a Youtube comment like this sample?

Cheers!

• Helpful
Reactions: CLK350 and Skryll
Anyone tracking the deliveries from Berlin? With the vehicle registration transparency in EU I thought this would be easy to do?
Unfortunately not. The registration data sources usually specify the Models, but not if it is performance or not. As Berlin makes Y performance exclusively for Europe while other Y come from Shanghai, that would be the only way to count Berlin output.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster and JRP3
Anyone tracking the deliveries from Berlin? With the vehicle registration transparency in EU I thought this would be easy to do?
In Norway most sold DE-P were in 27xx VIN range:
1652535450655.png

2 days ago there was fresh(?) batch:
1652535549644.png

on the other hand prioritizing Norway doesn't make sense as Tesla can't cash in import duty (10%) when selling for high price in EU

Not sure if this had been posted (I had been away on the first international trip since the you-know-what):

FSD is the easiest to achieve in the USA (and perhaps EU) when in the rest of the world people drive in between lanes and motorcycles weaving in and out between cars.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster