Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging infrastructure may not be the limiting factor in North America or EU, but I think it is elsewhere.
I just got back from a trip to South America (Argentina and Brazil) where most people live in (small) apartment on high rise buildings and there is virtually no room to park on the street, let alone charging.
So where do they park their cars then?

Power is everywhere, surely there would be a way to get it to the location they are parked in

power cables.jpg

He sold all his baller homes for his own reasons though. Spealking of mansions, Franz just bought a huuuge one.

Yeah, and then he mumbles that he tends to mostly stay in "friends" houses.

If we all had billionaire friends who would just randomly let us stay in one or another of their fleet of mansions, yeah, we could also all claim to have given up owning big houses.

Can someone tell me is it is reasonable to sell my house, invest everything into Tesla, live in my Tesla Model Y for 6 months and buy back after FUD?

Wouldn't go there (personally) surg. Highly unpredictable where we will be in 6 mo. Not many would have predicted we would be here in the low 700s after being in the 1200s just 4 months ago (possibly @tivoboy got this prediction early on).

Not advice.

Respectfully…….perhaps we should take an Elon-like First Principles approach and significantly reduce the amount of corn we raise in a semi-arid climate from the Ogallala Aquifer by breaking our addiction to Ethanol and High Fructose Corn Syrup. Hard to believe we are rapidly depleting our greatest aquifer to reduce our air quality, increase our waist lines, and massively increase our Carbon Footprint and global impact. And aquifer reinjecection has never proven a safe practice anyways - look no further than the impacts of aquifer reinjection by dairy farms in southern Idaho or fracking operations anywhere.
Ugh, not to be a pill here, but we end up at the same place with all of these tangential arguments: poorly informed.

Here's a classic example from the WashPost--not one mention of where all that water is going, such as raising grain for cows, cows we later murder for their flesh:

While not to be too off topic (I should be looking up how many married puts I need to buy to avoid a forced sell off some of my TSLA shares tomorrow), do please watch this short trailer to understand that if we're serious about the root cause, and why Tesla exists, then we have to stop eating animals:

And, if you want the sources (as you should) then take a look here:

Back on topic: Does anyone here have any personal experience with TD Ameritrade on margin calls, and choices to NOT have to sell shares? (I'm looking at buying some collars: long calls to pay for short-term puts--ANYTHING to avoid having to sell precious TSLA shares.)

If you haven't had enough heartburn lately, here's a well-known (albeit anonymous) legal analyst (likely attorney) speculating that -- should he choose to walk from the TWTR deal -- Elon Musk could end up in court in Delaware with a forced $44B Twitter acquisition on the line, based on Delaware legal precedent.

I believe all of us share this sentiment to some degree. However, the SP is back to January 2021 level, same as SPY. This means, if I had bought then and there and decided to stick with the stock through:

1. All sorts of FSD FUDs
2. Supply chain issues
3. Elon's tax selling
4. A couple of corrections
etc...

If I had done that (which I did), I would be in the same position as some guy who just wandered off the street and bought today. To add insult of injury, my bullish thesis was correct. Tesla proved that it is head and shoulder above the rest. But all of that for what?
It is unlikely the guy off the street has done the at least 3 years of Homework on Tesla/TSLA that you have done just by reading TMC, otherwise he would have already been Hodling if he really understood the company ... he is also likely to sell when there is a decent gain ~$1200 ... we all know the next trip to $1200 might be really quick and may not be retraced

the journey matters ... more than the destination HODL ;)

If you haven't had enough heartburn lately, here's a well-known (albeit anonymous) legal analyst (likely attorney) speculating that -- should he choose to walk from the TWTR deal -- Elon Musk could end up in court in Delaware with a forced $44B Twitter acquisition on the line, based on Delaware legal precedent.

This is beyond stupid speculation. The deal had a 1 billion back out stipulation. If Elon backs out, he pays 1 billion. End of story.

The referenced court case didn't have a back out stipulation.

This speculation by that twitter poster is beyond stupid.

.......beyond stupid

........like really stupid

It has happened before… but that is why Elon is putting his case out there. Odds of it actually happening are low.

This is beyond stupid speculation. The deal had a 1 billion back out stipulation. If Elon backs out, he pays 1 billion. End of story.

The referenced court case didn't have a back out stipulation.

This speculation by that twitter poster is beyond stupid.

.......beyond stupid

........like really stupid

I mean, I'd like to think so, but one of the cases he cited also had a breakup fee - that didn't stop the judge from ordering the two parties to try and work it out (and consider a forced acquisition; litigation is ongoing). Just like in a home purchase with a liquidated damages clause where the buyer walks, the seller can still go after the buyer for more if they think they can prove damages.

It's worth noting that the "analyst" has a strong negative Elon bias. However, he's not wrong to say that there's precedent.

The market can stay irrational longer than many can remain solvent, but that usually only applies to those using leverage of some sort (either using margin or options).

Common stock holders have nothing to worry about if they have no need or intention to sell anytime in the next few years.

Hold the course as long as you continue to believe in the underlying fundamentals and income growth trajectory. The stock price and PE ratio may drop quite a bit lower, much lower than what many will want to contemplate, and for much longer than what we might think possible, but that will all be irrelevant in the long term if growth plays out as expected. It has happened the exact same way with other companies, and also with Tesla itself already!

Warning: non-tesla anecdote about investing follows (To emphasize a similar situation to Tesla today).

In the early 2010s, Apple Stock was in a curious spot: It’s market cap had increased significantly in the previous decade on the back of giant success with the iPod and the recent launch of iPhone & iPad. However its PE ratio would fall below 10x multiple times (under 8x on an ex-cash basis) between 2011 - 2016, despite the iPhone continuing to grow along with it’s other products & services and the company increasing it’s vertical integration.

All you saw in the finance and tech media was: “Apple is doomed” and “competition is coming“ and “all they are is overpriced hardware, clever marketing & they will run out of fanboys“. Most of the market participants predicted that Apple’s profits would eventually fall and they would never be able to successfully introduce another meaningful product that would “move the needle”.

(Famously, Tripp Chowdry - legendary buffoon - said of Apple in 2014: “they only have 60 days left to either come up with something or they will disappear“)

It was hard to be an Apple investor at that time. By 2016 I thought I was taking crazy pills, the company Enterprise Value was under $400 Billion, while the company was buying back $40 Billion plus in stock a year and still growing its cash pile ever larger (technically at the then market value and buyback rate the company cash amount would surpass its market cap in less than 8 years and its enterprise value would turn negative). I wrote a blog post about it that garnered over 30 thousand views - there were plenty that felt the exact same way, that the outcome was obvious (massive share price appreciation) but why hadn’t the stock market in aggregate not realised the same?

The answer was obvious in retrospect: The stock market is often stupid. When it is, fortunes are made by those with conviction, no matter how long they have to wait.

Last edited: