Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Excellent post - Your hate-filled generalizations against the other side of the aisle emphasizes exactly how the US has arrived at an unprecedented level of devisiveness despite almost every American agreeing on 95% of the issues, and it metaphorically represents the fundamental reason why Elon should buy Twitter and give an equal voice to all. My personal hope is that voters on both sides of the aisle reject the idea of down-ballot voting (voting all D or all R on any ballot simply because of party affiliation) as a result of the political extremism we have experienced under the last couple administrations, and we can return to a country that can put issues in front of parties when looking at any ballot at every level of government.
Not sure what you are referring to with “Your Hate filled generalizations“ - all I stated was that in the rest of the OECD countries (countries beside China that buy the majority of new cars), policies that the US republicans support are deeply unpopular, and by implication Elon getting into bed with republicans can be in no way good for its brand internationally.

It takes a lot less time to destroy a good brand image than it does to build it.

“conservative“ policies supported by the US GOP (pro-guns, anti-abortion, no social safety net, minimal government, pro fossil fuels, anti environmental regulations, anti-LGBTQ, etc) are supported globally at a rate nowhere near the ballpark 50/50 for/against split that exists in the USA. In fact the policies of most conservative parties internationally would be considered to the left of the US Democrat party policies.

I would not recommend to go all-in on a single stock.
On the contrary, this is exactly the BEST time to dump any silly diversification as this is as good a "SALE!" as one may ever find on a once-in-a-lifeetime, massively disruptive company like Tesla.

Information Asymmetry, often created by this forum, is a gift: USE IT.

And:

The more research one does on Tesla, the more TSLA one buys . . . .

I would have preferred if there was less drama about all this. He could just vote Republican rather than making a big deal about this. But, I guess it's difficult to understand how he feels given the Democrat responses the last 2 years. The COVID factory shutdown which was prolonged and he was attacked when he protested against it. Democrats then came in power and there has been a steady stream of hate from Sanders, Warren and Co. He was made the poster child of all evil because he is a billionaire on paper. Not to mention, the whole act of wanting EVs but choosing to completely ignore the true leader to pander to UAW. I guess it all added up and he has snapped. Hopefully, he can rein it in and focus on the positives happening in his companies.
The drama is exactly what Elon wants as he wants this break up to be directly linked to the Democrat's behavior. For awhile I believe Elon sees the democratic party as having the perception of being active on their agenda but actually NOT really doing anything for their agenda. What have we learned from this party besides pointing fingers vs actually solving problems? You have people calling Elon a freeloader and calling for taxing the rich as the ONLY solution to solve all of our problems.

Not inviting Tesla or even saying the name Tesla by the party that ran on climate change is exactly the hypocrisy Elon doesn't want to be apart of. This tells me the democratic party has about zero urgency on the matter and only want to get their votes from the union workers while providing them with ample tax dollars to keep the ICE engine alive by incentivizing the build of hybrids.

Elon have said that it's not about the perception of doing good(I'm gonna vote blue therefore I'm solving climate change) vs actually doing good (I build gigafactories, millions of EVs and an entire charging infrastructure).

So him going republican and announcing it as such(in almost a trolly fashion with a popcorn emoji and everything) just to show his party that he's done with their nonsense.

Last edited:
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion...i get Elon's planning for the long term....however, i do not understand why he wants to so deeply involve 'himself' in politics.

It's not that Elon "wants" to involve himself in politics, he's dragged into the middle of public political discourse even if he tried to steer clear. But he's learned an important lesson in life - do not make yourself an easy target. He doesn't want to be anyone's punching bag so he has to show potential detractors that if you take a swing at Elon Musk he's going to hit you back and it's going to sting. That actually makes people think twice before they take that sucker punch.

I'm astounded at the number of people who think this is Elon not being able to control himself or that he lashes out because he's so hurt! I learned to parse reality so it makes sense and this, along with discipline, is why I was able to start making big money in the markets long before Tesla was even incorporated. If you want to win at this game called investing you have to be able to parse reality correctly. The people who think Elon is immature and can't control himself will probably not be inclined to put him in charge of significant amounts of money. They will lose out for parsing reality incorrectly. Elon is actually very disciplined and Tweets are one very powerful tool in his toolbox to guide and control how things unfold down the road. He has a voice and he uses it to make people think twice about trying to stop him. He is not a defenseless punching bag that politicians can use for their own purposes.

How is he going to continue to steer the future to his wishes if he just sits on the sidelines and doesn't rock the boat a little? Did any of you naysayers ever stop to ask yourselves why things tend to go Elon's way, not only an inordinate amount of the time but also in spectacular fashion? Ask yourselves why his failures are limited and his successes are so outsized. It's because he's smart, disciplined and he's always working, even when he's Tweeting.

These things should be obvious to anyone paying attention. I lose a lot of respect for people who think Elon's Tweets are an undisciplined "lashing out" because he's hurt and can't help himself. This is Elon letting people know there is a price for treating him like the bad guy or trying to throw roadblocks in front of him.

The range of a camera is obviously not a fixed quantity, despite Tesla's simplification for marketing purposes. An insect is visible probably only a few meters ahead of the camera, while a mountain is visible miles away.

So Tesla's advertised 150-meter range is for some object-size they have chosen to ensure safety (pedestrians? stray trailer hitches?). But a car ahead is a pretty big object. I bet the camera can see it a mile away.

But again, this debate (fun as it is) seems like pointless worrying about the future. Tesla's computers will get faster. Their cameras will get higher resolution. We don't know the limits of robocar capabilities yet.
Agree. In fact I’m pretty sure the cameras can view objects up to 93M miles away:)

Interestingly, some sentiment indicators:

Note the circled dates
Dates look great. But every single one of those dates in the past was met with either aggressive rate cuts or a combination of aggressive rate cuts and quantitative easing. Now we have the opposite.

Ask yourself when the Fed will become accommodative again or at least willing to go on record that rates will stay neutral and they will not suck money out of the system anymore.

This could take a while.

Dates look great. But every single one of those dates in the past was met with either aggressive rate cuts or a combination of aggressive rate cuts and quantitative easing. Now we have the opposite.

Ask yourself when the Fed will become accommodative again or at least willing to go on record that rates will stay neutral and they will not suck money out of the system anymore.

This could take a while.
Or numbers come out 2Q saying we are in a recession while core CPI takes a dump.

Mostly ex- Mod: I've locked this thread and the twitter thread. I'm unable to take more detailed action due to the volume of posts. Everyone, take some time to cool off. I will unlock before going to bed (Pacific time) or Audie might unlock sooner.

No political statements anywhere.
No insulting other members.
Comments about Elon purchasing Twitter ONLY in the twitter thread.
Only things relevant to the company or the stock in this thread.

--ggr.

While the thread is locked, a reminder:
All have been told that requisite to participating in this thread is subscribing to Moderators’ posts.

This occurred not for some (truly bizarre) vainglory. Rather, it was so that no participant could whine “Oh! But I hadn’t seen that directive/admonition/warning…gee, the Mods should have warned me because - well, because I’m special .”

Now, here’s a poorly-kept secret: Mods know very well most participants have not so subscribed. Not having done so, however, means the writer of a deleted post first, has no standing for complaints, and second, has no standing for asking “But what did I do wrong? I don’t even know which post of mine was deleted” (yes, we even get statements like that).