Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Way too much cancel culture and “guilty unless proven innocent” stuff going on in here lately. People forget the mission so easily. And this from Business Insider aka Tesla FUD central.

I’ve seen a lot of FUD since I learned of Tesla in 2009. But it takes a special kind of naïve to trust an article from Business Insider that magically hits the presses just as Tesla reaches a bottom in stock price.
Over on Reddit the case is closed.

Elon is scum and always has been. They don’t know why this took so long. And all the pathetic cultists who defend him….

So that special kind of naive is not special at all. It is mainstream.

Over on Reddit the case is closed.

Elon is scum and always has been. They don’t know why this took so long. And all the pathetic cultists who defend him….

So that special kind of naive is not special at all. It is mainstream.
That crowd probably doesn’t own TSLA stock in the first place and most average people aren’t short selling in general, so their opinions probably don’t affect the stock much. Unless maybe their sentiment influences how the algobots trade.

I had an X set for July 2022 also, just went to look and now it says

Estimated delivery: Dec 2022 - Apr 2023

They didn't even send me a notification.

I would buy Elon a horse if he could get it to me next month.
Tesla Optimizing Margins?
I am in the same boat. My Model X LR delivery date has moved from May to July and now to Dec 2022 - Apr 2023.
Consider this:

My order:
Order date: October 15, 2021
Delivery Date: Dec 2022 - Apr 2023
Price as configured: $114,490

If ordered today:
Order Date: May 19, 2022
Delivery Date: Jan - Apr 2023
Price as configured: $131,490

I ordered 7 months ago. Oddly, someone that orders today gets practically the same delivery date.
But if ordered today, the pricing is $17,000 higher.
I wonder if Tesla is moving the higher priced orders ahead of the older orders to optimize margins to offset Austin/Berlin Ramps and Shanghai lockdown impact. I see on the Model X tracker there is someone who ordered a Model X LR in January 2022 and received their car in April and another person ordered in March 2022 and received the car this month (both in California).

I am a bit bummed about my order's delay but intrigued that there may be a pleasant margin surprise in Q2, Q3 and Q4.

Last edited:
There's a rumor that Tesla's PR Department weren't disbanded, they were repurposed.

Their job now is to create FUD in order to reduce the rate that orders for products are stacking up by stirring up targeted demographics who would otherwise be putting down FOMO deposits. Tesla doesn't want to have to honor pricing that is multi-years old. Keeping the wait times at ~1 year or less is their prime directive.

Once production can keep up with demand this team may go back to doing normal PR.

/s

There's a rumor that Tesla's PR Department weren't disbanded, they were repurposed.

Their job now is to create FUD in order to reduce the rate that orders for products are stacking up by stirring up targeted demographics who would otherwise be putting down FOMO deposits. Tesla doesn't want to have to honor pricing that is multi-years old. Keeping the wait times at ~1 year or less is their prime directive.

Once production can keep up with demand this team may go back to doing normal PR.

/s
No wonder your nom de plume is 2daMoon...

• Funny
Reactions: 2daMoon
It also doesn't make much sense because AMD is such a close partner with Tesla and have shown that they will work with them to custom build just about anything Tesla needs. When you have a partner like that, buying a stake in them doesn't advance your mission.

Except AMD doesn't own any fabs-- they pay companies who do (like TSMC) to make their chips.

And they didn't make any "custom" ones for Tesla either- the stuff in the new computers is off-the-shelf chips (largely previous-gen ones in fact so as not to take away TSMC production quotas from their newest stuff) that is then placed on Tesla custom boards.

Owning fabs doesn't make sense for hardly anybody.... including not for AMD (AMD did own fabs years ago-- they spun that part of the business off.)

And of course the well cited example is Apple- who like AMD [B}designs[/B] chips, but doesn't build them.

Or just like Tesla designed their own chips- and is having folks like Samsung (current HW3) and TSMC (Dojos D1) build them for them.

Fabs are insanely cap intensive, need massive customer bases because they have to be producing constantly to be worth existing, and process changes are complex and take a long time.... they are a very poor fit for the agile business at which Tesla excels. (the need for a massive customer base to not lose $ on a fab is part of why almost nobody makes their own chips--- nobody including folks who use MASSIVELY more chips than Tesla- would be able to provide enough business on their own to have it make any sense.

The article says there is one. The woman violated the terms of the NDA contract.

She told this stuff to her friend (the one who actually told BI about it) long before the NDA existed.

So the attendant spilled the beans to her friend after the lawsuit right after signing the NDA?

No, the NDA was in 2018. She told her friend soon after the incident happened in 2016...and said friend filed a supporting deposition for the 2018 case confirming her friend told her this story soon after it happened.

The friend apparently shared a copy of it with BI for the story.

Now, the one place where things are tricky is who exactly told the friend the settlement details. I can think of several possibilities, a few of which could potentially be the victim violating the NDA, and several of which would not be.

The fact the nearest Elon has come to commenting since the story broke is reiterating he's being subjected to political attacks and is fighting for free speech suggests his lawyers are telling him the NDA remains in place though, which potentially limits what he can say about it specifically.

A restorative for our vapor-locked compadres:

"Why does the left haste Elon Musk?

It’s simple, really: Because he can’t be controlled, and because he doesn’t tolerate BS."

The left hates Elon Musk because he’s a twin threat that doesn’t tolerate BS

Interesting article... agree with it's premise, but I think there's more to all of this than we can know (yet at least). I was not aware of the pushback against SpaceX, with the exception of the recent Boeing launch. WhiIe i live in the PNW and have relatives that worked for Boeing, but I'm a SpaceX man all the way. What they've achieved was thought to be impossible not long ago and yet they've accomplished it and at a fraction of the cost of the cost plus contractors.

If the Feds are screwing with them I will really be pissed.

Last edited:
Except AMD doesn't own any fabs-- they pay companies who do (like TSMC) to make their chips.

And they didn't make any "custom" ones for Tesla either- the stuff in the new computers is off-the-shelf chips (previous-gen ones in fact so as not to take away TSMC production quotas from their newest stuff) that is then socketed into Tesla hardware.

Owning fabs doesn't make sense for hardly anybody.... including not for AMD (AMD did own fabs years ago-- they spun that part of the business off.)

And of course the well cited example is Apple- who like AMD [B}designs[/B] chips, but doesn't build them.

Or just like Tesla designed their own chips- and is having folks like Samsung (current HW3) and TSMC (Dojos D1) build them for them.
Big post but wanna address the AMD part. They do make custom SOC chips. But if you wanna get into the semantics of it they don't actually make the DIE, they contract that out to TSMC or Samsung, or GF. They do however DESIGN the SOC, that's the fundamental part of their custom SOC business. It's a fkn great business, customers can pick and choose the IP they want, the lithography, interconnects, etc etc and AMD designs it, win win for everyone. Oh and the AMD MCU is a custom SOC, it's a Zen 1 IP with NAVI 23 etc gpu with an interconnect to discrete GPU. There's not freaking off the shelf product that encompasses that. It's very much a one of a kind product.

That said, I concur with ya on the fabs. In fact AMD used to OWN Global Foundries before spinning it off. They went FAB route because during that era they were actually stupid, (hola Ruiz), and followed Intel's model to their detriment. This was decades ago when Intel was flaunting their DIE business, until they couldn't and instead kept adding "+" to everything lol. But the point is FABs are a crappy business and especially so as a secondary business. When the lithographies got down pas 22nm, Intel saw it's prowess disappear. They could no longer compete with TSMC. It's hard to compete with a company that is only doing FAB work when it's not your primary focus. And since fabs are stupidly capital intensive, you would not be able to keep it afloat only serving yourself.

At least he is saying that the allegations are untrue.

To me it seems that there was some sort of settlement but it may have been for all sorts of reasons

I think we are close to the full pedo moment. We are going to see if he makes is worse or finds a way to let it settle. Given all the recent nonsense I’m expecting some more rocky times before he starts to do damage control.

Re: MCU3 AMD chips and whether they're custom or not - it's not entirely clear (I haven't found anything definitive) whether the YE180FC3T4MFG model chip is a semi-custom design or not. It looks like most likely it's an existing Ryzen Embedded series design, just with the integrated graphics disabled (likely from die-harvesting chips that had problems with integrated graphics portion of the chip, but the rest works - and since they're going to use a dGPU anyways that's acceptable to get a cheaper chip), so likely is NOT a semi-custom part in terms of Tesla actually customizing the IP blocks and such (i.e. versus a PS4/5, Xbox One / Series, or Steam Deck chip). Similarly the Radeon GPU part may not be something you can buy in a GPU for your PC, but is probably at most just different configuration of clock speeds and enabled shaders to harvest an existing design, rather than being custom in any true way. AMD does provide custom services, but it seems unlikely that Tesla is using those services, as that is unnecessary. Tesla's custom chips they designed themselves (for the HW3 and later NN compute boards) are being fabricated by Samsung at Samsung's facilities, rather than by AMD (who use GlobalFoundries and mostly TSMC generally).

Re: Stock buy backs - I like the idea of setting aside $X billion and using it as a buy back, but you could even go one further probably by setting up orders of "Use this $X Billion to buy back as much stock as you can, but if it goes over $Y/share, start selling at up to Z shares per day", and keep those shares in the external trading account for the time being as a way to influence the stock price. That probably should be illegal manipulation some how, except any OTHER entity could perform these trades, so ... maybe it's legal to structure it this way?

Re: the 250k story, since it took this long to come out and Elon has said the accusations are completely untrue - I am going to guess that there was a settlement of some kind, but it was something like firing without cause or something similarly non-sexual (perhaps due to some kind of clash of personalities or whatever, or some kind of labor-related dispute where they legally couldn't have just canned her but did anyways, hence settlement), since it's a mere 250k and not some giant multi-million deal like you'd expect with something juicy like sexual harassment. If that was legit a sexual harassment case and she only got 250k, then she should have sued her own lawyer for incompetence...

At least he is saying that the allegations are untrue.

To me it seems that there was some sort of settlement but it may have been for all sorts of reasons
There definitely seems to be settlement. The only thing is they often happen without wrongdoing and it is impossible for people to know. We will likely never know the truth. Story is out there now though and people will use it. Just like the stupid emerald mines.

Except first he said there is “a lot more to this story."

So, which is it? Is it untrue or is there a lot more to the story?
The allegations (of the specific wrongdoing), as reported, could be entirely untrue, while still having a settlement exist between Musk/SpaceX and the woman for some completely different reason that has nothing to do with sexual harassment.