Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Damn. Hate to say it but after reading Elon's latest tweets I'm getting worried. Either someone is posting in his name, he's got something going on we don't know about, or he's losing it.

Please somebody give a better alternative to the above, but based on what I'm seeing I am really getting concerned...

Not /s
Did all the wiener chat give you the willies?

Worry not, I have cracked the code:

in the UK we call wieners "frankfurters". Obvs that a Frankfurt GF will be announced shortly.

Yeah Elon is serious… when the chips are down he’s at his best.

Most fighters are. Elon will fight until the end and, from what I've seen, the core employees that have been there the longest are fighters too. Tesla tends to attract fighters.

What does this mean? Remember how when TSLA shares were flying high, almost double what they are now, a bunch of care bears came out of the woodwork and starting planting the negative TSLAQ narrative of the day? Namely, that Elon and company would become complacent with so much success which would cause them to lose their competitive advantage. This recent downturn in share price creates the illusion that Elon and company need to try even harder, regardless of the fact they were performing admirably before markets decided it was time to reset. However, the downturn in the markets has nothing to do with Tesla or Elon having become complacent, if it did, TSLA shares would be a *lot* lower than it is given the overall macro downturn.

That said, there could be no better time for Elon and company to think hard about the future and ensure that everything is moving in the best direction. Two new factories of new design and technologies ramping, and three major new products (Cybertruck, Semi and 4680's) entering the early stages of production. It looks to me like Tesla is set to shock and awe the naysayers with shocking production volumes and profit margins in 2023. It will be more impressive if this occurs against the backdrop of a recession that leaves legacy auto crying in their soup. If it occurs simultaneously with a recovering market, I shudder to imagine what the share price would do! Suffice to say, many, if not most, people here would under-estimate it's true potential!

What a great time to be TSLA investors! Pay no attention to the unhappy men behind the curtain telling a different narrative to protect their own financial interests.

Interesting discussion of the current economic situation between Cathie Wood of Ark Invest and Nancy Lazar of Piper Sandler.

Main points:

-sharp economic slowdown underway, especially in Europe
-Inflation will fall fast and hard
-Huge overbuild of inventories

-> expect the fed to soften stance and slow tightening to protect the economy

-> expect this to be “extremely positive” for the equity markets

No specific discussion of Tesla here

Key bits about inflation at 30-35 minutes

The weird thing about this recession if it happens is I dont see much in the way of layoffs. Hell yesterday Burger King by me had a sign for $18 per hour. My town is notoriously conservative and few years back when Illinois passed $15 min wage that would take place over a few year. Towns could opt out. Of course my stupid town did. Of course the town had hard time staffing things like pools at park district because kids could go to neighboring towns for more $. Still back to now and everywhere in town businesses large and small are offering jobs and most above $15 per hour even for high school kids. I just dont see them while begging for employees starting to just let them go. When you go to restaurants and they are understaffed even when restaurant isnt packed they arent going to start letting people go when customers will just get even more annoyed.

The weird thing about this recession if it happens is I dont see much in the way of layoffs. Hell yesterday Burger King by me had a sign for $18 per hour. My town is notoriously conservative and few years back when Illinois passed $15 min wage that would take place over a few year. Towns could opt out. Of course my stupid town did. Of course the town had hard time staffing things like pools at park district because kids could go to neighboring towns for more $. Still back to now and everywhere in town businesses large and small are offering jobs and most above $15 per hour even for high school kids. I just dont see them while begging for employees starting to just let them go. When you go to restaurants and they are understaffed even when restaurant isnt packed they arent going to start letting people go when customers will just get even more annoyed.

One interesting this I have learned this year. The markets react the same way if the recession is caused by people defaulting payments on their mortgage and don’t have money to buy products or if it’s caused by supply chains disruptions causing products not to be available in enough number and then prices skyrocket because consumers still have the power to purchase them. If both of them have negative GDP growth over 2 quarters, the market will anticipate and sell off in advance because they anticipate what other market participants anticipate because of what they think the others are anticipating.

That was just a note to myself when the history repeat itself in 10 years when my kids start investing.

I don't get what this legal department would be used for. Going after whom? Bots / individuals on twitter? News organizations that review Tesla's products?

The scale of Tesla's products based on sustainable energies will soon be getting to the point where they are well beyond being a thorn in the side to legacy auto and oil - expect a ramping up of desperate measures to slow Tesla down and damage their image/reputation. Dragons may be big but that just means they die slowly as they go through their death throws. I think we will witness upheaval like most of us have never seen before. People do not like to see others devalue their income streams, especially when it happens so rapidly. It's not just the big boys, more and more independent auto dealership chains are finally starting to see just how real this threat called "Tesla" really is and how the future value of their biggest asset is directly threatened.

Lawyering up now is a brilliant strategy as they will not only be prepared to tackle new lawsuits without becoming overwhelmed and falling behind, but the display and demonstration of a superior legal team will prevent many lawsuits from being filed to begin with. Tesla will sue people who lie about their products, who lie about their activities and who enact anti-competitive laws on the state level. Sometimes they will gain the upper hand by pre-emptively suing people they know are going to sue them, if they have a legal basis for doing so. By having most or all of their legal team in-house, they can save huge amounts of money and many ambitious, younger lawyers can learn the ropes and make a name for themselves while fighting for noble causes. They will also pre-emptively head-off potential lawsuits with well-written letters to bad actors advising them against certain actions. A side benefit is it will remove some of the most capable lawyers in applicable fields from being able to be hired by opposing forces.

You would think a company poised to do so much good for the world would be the last company needing a robust legal team but, *sigh*, that will not be the case. This ensures a concentration of suitable expertise at a more affordable price than hiring it out to outside firms by the hour. But what's priceless is that Tesla's own legal team will naturally result in more "home team spirit" on the legal team which is impossible to achieve when hiring outside legal teams. That kind of teamwork and camaraderie is an important element for getting the most out of each lawyer and building cases that win.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Elon had orchestrated this entire incident in order to bait these folks into revealing their true colors? While also demonstrating how the bot army on Twitter can be deployed to target unpopular people and ideas. What if this is just the tool being used to determine the percentage of fake accounts on Twitter?

In my special world (in about 2 weeks) the person who "leaked" the story would fess up to the set-up and the vision of dominoes falling would be spectacular.

In all honesty, I don't believe there is much of a chance of this at all. But, you can't take my dreams of 4D chess masters away from me.

On another note, the litigation team. Imagine using the same filters deployed to find the best engineers now being utilized to find the best litigators to fight the good fight, discover strategies, and confront all who attempt to thwart the Juggernaut disrupting their formerly stable extortionesque income streams.

Last edited:
Look at this glorious machine. CT on its way.

5A183774-84D1-41D2-8D1D-E3C3E6BECFE7.gif

I love Elon, but to say he has not acted emotionally or irrationally is a stretch. He is human after all.

Saying someone acted like a human is entirely different from saying they acted emotionally and irrationally.

While it's true that normal humans have emotions and act irrationally sometimes, saying someone is emotional and irrational (or that certain actions were that) implies more emotional or irrational than is typical for average humans. Elon is not more emotional or irrational than most people. If anything, he is more rational and his actions are driven more by rational thought and less by uncontrolled emotions. That is one strong reason why he is so successful.

But these facts don't stop an army of detractors from trying to portray him as excessively emotional and irrational.

Interesting discussion of the current economic situation between Cathie Wood of Ark Invest and Nancy Lazar of Piper Sandler.

Wow what an inspiring discussion. Just what us down-in-the-dumps bulls need. Well worth watching the 45 min dialogue between two enthusiastic and seasoned veteran analysts who predict a HUGE bounce in equities later this year.

Second shift added?

I heard a rumor about Shanghai and now this...

Seeing conflicting reports about Shanghai. Don’t know if FUD, or if everything is at this point.

Unfortunately, China needs to back off of Zero COVID policy or this will not go away.

CAN SO SOMEONE PLEASE HAND THE CCP A GOOD EXCUSE AND A WAY OUT TO SAVE FACE OVER THIS NONSENSE? THANK YOU!

They will never be able to contain it 100%. Especially not with vaccines that are maybe 50% effective at this point.

A
The scale of Tesla's products based on sustainable energies will soon be getting to the point where they are well beyond being a thorn in the side to legacy auto and oil - expect a ramping up of desperate measures to slow Tesla down and damage their image/reputation. Dragons may be big but that just means they die slowly as they go through their death throws. I think we will witness upheaval like most of us have never seen before. People do not like to see others devalue their income streams, especially when it happens so rapidly. It's not just the big boys, more and more independent auto dealership chains are finally starting to see just how real this threat called "Tesla" really is and how the future value of their biggest asset is directly threatened.

Lawyering up now is a brilliant strategy as they will not only be prepared to tackle new lawsuits without becoming overwhelmed and falling behind, but the display and demonstration of a superior legal team will prevent many lawsuits from being filed to begin with. Tesla will sue people who lie about their products, who lie about their activities and who enact anti-competitive laws on the state level. Sometimes they will gain the upper hand by pre-emptively suing people they know are going to sue them, if they have a legal basis for doing so. By having most or all of their legal team in-house, they can save huge amounts of money and many ambitious, younger lawyers can learn the ropes and make a name for themselves while fighting for noble causes. They will also pre-emptively head-off potential lawsuits with well-written letters to bad actors advising them against certain actions. A side benefit is it will remove some of the most capable lawyers in applicable fields from being able to be hired by opposing forces.

You would think a company poised to do so much good for the world would be the last company needing a robust legal team but, *sigh*, that will not be the case. This ensures a concentration of suitable expertise at a more affordable price than hiring it out to outside firms by the hour. But what's priceless is that Tesla's own legal team will naturally result in more "home team spirit" on the legal team which is impossible to achieve when hiring outside legal teams. That kind of teamwork and camaraderie is an important element for getting the most out of each lawyer and building cases that win.
Apologies if this has already been linked:

Warren thinks Musk is going after BI and try to sue them out of business. Maybe LATimes and NYTimes, too.

Another update. My delivery date has been moved to Aug 18 to October 13 (from Dec 22-Apr23)

I don't know what percentage of Tesla buyers sell TSLA stock to purchase their cars, but I would assume, with the stock price in the crapper, there will be a much higher than normal rate of purchase cancellations. People who were going to sell TSLA shares to purchase will wait for a better deal before they sell their shares to replace their car.

The comment was based upon the likely political affiliation of the "pool of friends" you are talking to at the moment. That was all.

I have friends that run the political gamut. One thing all of them have in common is they all like to ski and/or hike and/or drink beer/whiskey and/or coffee, I have a couple of "weird" friends that like to drink wine but even that is not based on political identity, LOL!

If I have any "pools of friends" they are thankfully not based on political identity. Political identity is over-rated as a dividing line.