Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another income stream one step closer in development. I could see whole Tesla mall entertainment complexes being built around mass Supercharging in the future.

Looking at the plans posted on twitter (the thread has more details)...

The first floor is 69' x 69' nice

They will be showing films that are about 30 minutes long (so they're the typical length of a charge session). This of course means that most people will see the end of one and the beginning of another, but still means you won't be missing out on an epic blockbuster.

This reminds me of the https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/hollywood-studios/sci-fi-dine-in-theater/ which I have really enjoyed when I was there.

Looking at the plans posted on twitter (the thread has more details)...

The first floor is 69' x 69' nice

They will be showing films that are about 30 minutes long (so they're the typical length of a charge session). This of course means that most people will see the end of one and the beginning of another, but still means you won't be missing out on an epic blockbuster.

This reminds me of the https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/hollywood-studios/sci-fi-dine-in-theater/ which I have really enjoyed when I was there.
santa monica.JPG

2.JPG

I’m happy - really, truly, I am - to have found the most recent dozen or so pages to be far less disheartening to read than most of what showed up here all week. Keep up the good work, every*one!

Re the photo of the IDRA 9000: I didn’t learn whether that was in Austin, Grunheide, Shanghai, Fremont or Alaska. Any evidence for where it is being assembled?

*99.44% +/- 0.56%, says the precision fanatic.
Looks like Idra factory in Italy. Here’s a video of a smaller gigapress in “IDRA Italia” that looks like the same place.
Be on the lookout for some extra large crates arriving in Austin in the next few months.

Last edited:
Can you explain why Tesla would sue her?

Depends on if she is trying to organize an illegal boycott:

If the goal if determined to be to cause economic harm to the target, it is illegal according to the FTC:

Trade laws and First Amendment rights of boycott organizers conflict​

"In a series of cases, the Supreme Court has established an analysis of boycotts that considers the following issues: Is economic damage to the targeted businesses the goal or the means of the boycott? Is the goal to influence political action or merely to inflict economic harm on the businesses?"​

Interesting take on the Australian election:

“A party that has become fixated in recent decades with attracting working class battlers in traditional Labor strongholds has lost touch with Tesla-driving professionals in blue-ribbon seats.

For the first in more than a decade, the electric car nudged out the coal train.”

Depends on if she is trying to organize an illegal boycott:

If the goal if determined to be to cause economic harm to the target, it is illegal according to the FTC:

Trade laws and First Amendment rights of boycott organizers conflict​

"In a series of cases, the Supreme Court has established an analysis of boycotts that considers the following issues: Is economic damage to the targeted businesses the goal or the means of the boycott? Is the goal to influence political action or merely to inflict economic harm on the businesses?"​
Boycotts are almost always legal. The cases where they are illegal are quite rare. Your statement saying “If the goal if determined to be to cause economic harm to the target, it is illegal according to the FTC:” is wrong because it leaves out all the preconditions. Elon waded into politics, and is subject to all kinds of boycotts due to his stated views and they are perfectly legal. About the only case that even gets near this illegal boycott territory is that odowd guy who is a software company that competes against FSD. Even then, it is a very hard case to make.

suing people for their stated views is almost the opposite of what Elon said his purpose for buying Twitter was, and will bring even more completely legal boycotts from the likes of the ACLU. Tesla suing here would probably be illegal itself, as that almost certainly would be a SLAPP lawsuit.

from Wikipedia
”Boycotts are legal under common law. The right to engage in commerce, social intercourse, and friendship includes the implied right not to engage in commerce, social intercourse, and friendship. Since a boycott is voluntary and nonviolent, the law cannot stop it. Opponents of boycotts historically have the choice of suffering under it, yielding to its demands, or attempting to suppress it through extralegal means, such as force and coercion.”

Last edited:
Any way to track the FSD option effect on delivery wait? That's an outsized effect on gross margin because all the development work is done anyway, with addtional FSD sales flowing straight through to gross profit.

Cheers!
I saw many reports from buyers of the Model Y that adding FSD moved them up in the delivery queue. However, I saw reports from Model X buyers that adding FSD did not have any effect on delivery times. All anecdotal.

Let me see if I can parse out the FSD take rate impact on wait times using the delivery tracker information.

I saw many reports from buyers of the Model Y that adding FSD moved them up in the delivery queue. However, I saw reports from Model X buyers that adding FSD did not have any effect on delivery times. All anecdotal.

Let me see if I can parse out the FSD take rate impact on wait times using the delivery tracker information.
Makes sense that ordering FSD wouldn’t speed up delivery any longer because I read that many would just remove FSD right before delivery.

Teslas here in Northeast Pennsylvania are a common sight now even though there is no Tesla service center anywhere near here. When I got my X six years ago I only knew of 1 other Tesla in my county and it was extremely rare to see any Tesla around here, and they were usually tourists from NY or Jesey. Now I see them every day when I'm out and about. It isn't like Cali since this is not urban, but more Appalachia, but it's still great to see. I think I mentioned a couple weeks ago that when I was in Mannheim Germany, the birthplace of Mercedes, visiting my daughter she mentioned that over the past couple months she has been seeing more and more Teslas, especially Ys.
My family used to play "spot the Tesla".
Then we moved to "spot the non-white Tesla".
We are now considering "spot the new car that ISN'T a Tesla"

Most plates show us the 6 month period that the car was FIRST registered (and don't change over time, except for vanity plates, rare). eg

2020 = 20 and 70 plates
2021 = 21 and 71 plates
2022 = 22 and 72 plates

It's not unusual for me to be driving in/against a near convoy of Teslas (well, 2-4 - at least for a little while). Within about half a mile of a town road we saw 8 different Teslas out of less than 100 cars (guess). Considering the hundreds of car brands/models available and average age of the fleet, that's quite a change and I think other drivers notice because they look unlike other cars on a UK road. That in itself should ensure that Tesla is in a shortlist when considering a car rather than being dismissed as too unusual. "If they can do it - why not me, what am I missing"

The FUD/genuine concern over EV chargers is also leading people to think a Tesla is a much safer choice for their or their company's needs. I think some of the anti-EV FUD has backfired into being pro-Tesla due to both Superchargers and overall better execution of the EV & its ecosystem.

Another data point:

Model X LR ordered last year with Dec 22 delivery now promised from Dec 22 to Mar 23. FSD always included.

This is indicative of lack of ramping of production, no? Not to be a Debbie Downer. Or a Flatline Freddy. Or a Pessimistic, aw you get the idea.

I agree but think his "recruiting lawyers" tweet is a multi-pronged strategy. The other part of it is actually to get a highly cost-effective legal team by encouraging more young, bright little-known legal minds to join the team. Head council doesn't know all the great lawyers in the world, just the ones who have already made a name for themselves and would only join for a very high salary. Additionally, recruiting works best when the one who is recruited thinks it was his or her idea to join Tesla, not from a cold call. You have to plant the seeds to harvest the flowers.

Boy, I think that's the first time I've referred to lawyers as "flowers"! 🤪
I agree. Tesla recruiting non-orthodox engineers, lawyers or anything is great.

Much of people's educational and professional progression depends on "not making mistakes" and "face fits" rather than displays of brilliance and original thinking. Layers of "more information needed" or others who do slow down or impede progress just frustrates talented people, especially when the gatekeepers/hierarchy do NOT or CANNOT know the details in as much depth as the person requesting action.. Expert works for days/weeks on something, thinks through multiple angles while managers spend hours or minutes on the subject.

There must be loads of "streetfighting lawyers" who have not progressed through conventional means - looks, clothes, demeanour, passion, class, late bloomers, no contacts, not interested in dull existence and generally not playing the networking, top law-school huge fees/debt risk and maximise billable time games. Elon just needs to recruit a few brilliant, frustrated, hungry, passionate people who might be even more motivated by the mission, justice, fighting evil/bullies/hypocrites/corruption.

Last edited:
Any indication of how the Victoria "Big Battery" (by Tesla Energy) affected voter sentiment?

Cheers!

I don’t think many peeps understand the grid. It’s not a big vote influence, not visible. But they def see Tesla cars in the wealthier suburbs, and that’s where once safe seats have changed hands to climate independents.
Now it may just be Maslow’s hierarchy, these voters can afford to care about emissions. But I think there’s a Tesla effect at play. They see these cars, many work in tech fields, they put two and two together and think yes, there’s a better world possible, let’s bring it on.
The best thing about the Australian result is the message it sends to politicians everywhere: align with fossil fuels and you will lose your seat, never to return. Bam. Media keep under reporting the climate vote, but the surveys don’t lie; 25% listed climate as the number one issue. A lot of this is the youth who fly under the radar.

Another data point:

Model X LR ordered last year with Dec 22 delivery now promised from Dec 22 to Mar 23. FSD always included.

This is indicative of lack of ramping of production, no? Not to be a Debbie Downer. Or a Flatline Freddy. Or a Pessimistic, aw you get the idea.

Hard to tell what's going on but I think Model S&X is ramping relatively well.
I ordered my Model X LR with FSD in Oct 2021 and had original delivery date of May which was changed to July earlier this year.
Then last week it moved to Dec 22 - Apr 23 and then a few days later it moved to Aug 18 - Oct 13 2022. This is the first time I have actual dates (includes the day of the month in the range). I had heard that many Model X orders were moved to Dec 22 - Mar/Apr 23 as a placeholder by Tesla as they finalized production planning for Q3. I expect to see my car in Q3.

I believe your Dec 22 - Mar23 delivery range is a placeholder and you will get an update soon.

Warren thinks Musk is going after BI and try to sue them out of business. Maybe LATimes and NYTimes, too.

Interesting suggestion. probably correct as to BI — less likely both as to intent and success if attempted against LATimes and NYT. You might recall Tesla’s legally unsuccessful lawsuit against TopGear in the UK. The UK doesn’t have anything like a first amendment and Tesla had pretty good facts from what I recall, but they still lost. It is hard in the West to succeed on defamation claims.

But I am seeing Peter Thiel’s influence on Musk right now. Both politically and the new litigation threats. Peter Thiel famously (and probably rightly) took down Gawker The Most Expensive Comment in Internet History?. by litigation except he did it by proxy through funding Hulk Hogan’s lawsuit. I like Peter Thiel for this although am undecided on his other actions, including apparent support for Trump where he must think Trump and many of the people on his administration were corrupt or moronic or both — Yet he still seemed to think the pro-business-sort-of-libertarian policies were enough to allow him to hold his nose and support them. Maybe Musk is doing the same politically now.

And Musk might be looking to do a Gawker against Business Insider, or at least find something to get past motions to dismiss to do discovery on them.

I agree that the tweet recruiting for lawyers is not likely to get enough in house lawyers to fully vertically integrate litigation projects. Litigation work involves very lumpy work — all hands on deck for weeks at a time, and then sometimes just months of waiting doing very little — hard to staff that appropriately in house. Law firms can spread that lumpiness over many clients and allows them to maintain the staff needed. Also I think experienced law firm lawyers are compensated at levels that would be hard for Tesla to stomach even with generous equity comp.

In addition to Peter Thiel, I think Musk may also be influenced by defamation litigation in Asia which is much more a thing. The face-saving culture in Asia results in more, and more tolerance for, legal action against defamation. Whereas insults or out-right lies in the west would be ignored or tolerated with no legal recourse, in Asia, they can and more often do result in litigation. Tesla China is certainly doing that and Tesla US may try it more and while unlikely to ultimately win, as a plaintiff getting to the discovery stage and making the defendants miserable is sort of winning. As more typically a Defendant, Tesla is often on the losing side of that calculation but may be looking for more opportunities as a plaintiff.

Last edited: