Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For those outside North America especially, but still relevant to those who travel USA, Canada, Mexico,...

FAQs say it's usable within your continent. Restricted to 2 months at a time in a different country, have to buy new or move registered address. As you can travel through quite a few European countries in a day and much RV/camping usage might be outside own country - I think it's a reasonable solution for digital nomads & the like. Frees up more locations and accommodation. Most importantly, it's a pain to research good internet connectivity for those who can work remotely, so might as well travel. Accommodation is often the highest cost, so opening up more choices will save the subscription fee easily. Also, an ability to pause subscription. This could work for a lot of people who spend winters in sunnier climes & the knowledge that whatever location you chose will be fine is fantastic.

Two months might be a bit short for some slo-mads though (slow nomads). However many of these are likely to be retired-early Teslanaires - allegedly.

Tesla related... hopefully can be powered by 12 volt forever on an EV (especially a Tesla, some EVs aren't great with 12v stop/start/battery drain).

More awareness of Elon Musk's businesses. Emphasises simplicity, elegance of solutions which reinforces Tesla cachet indirectly.
I’m sure as with everything else Elon’s companies do, this service will change and morph and improve as time goes on.

That’s really a big difference between Elon’s companies and their products and most everyone else; constant rapid development of the product and change towards getting more for your dollar but also seeing your original purchased product improve substantially without having to buy the next version.

Based on the many, many issues we've read about on these forums, I hate to say that it's not FUD . . . Tesla MUST step up their product pre-delivery testing, production quality, warranty, and customer service, in the US and globally.
My 2021 Model Y with 18,000 miles on it has been absolutely perfect. No problems with customer service in Denver. I have no idea what your talking about. I would say that I'm in the silent majority, not the select few that vent on internet forums.

Based on the many, many issues we've read about on these forums, I hate to say that it's not FUD . . . Tesla MUST step up their product pre-delivery testing, production quality, warranty, and customer service, in the US and globally.
Some comments elsewhere said mostly minor problems usually fixed and retested.

In UK, we have annual MOT for cars older than 3 years. Standard procedure is test, fix, re-test. Two tries are included in MOT (certain conditions). Usual fails include lightbulbs, emissions, suspension, bushes, brakes and tyres. Often if people know there's a problem (eg tyres), they'll still not fix before first test because another fix might be related and so cheaper on labour cost and timing/arranging transport while fixing to do it all at once rather than multiple trips.

A difference with Tesla in Germany (so some said) is that non-Teslas are usually tested by (same-make?) dealers who fix before test, whereas Teslas often have a test, fix, re-test cycle.

I just would like to mention that two of my friends recently received new Model 3's. One a short range, the other a long range. I have many, many friends and family with Teslas and upon inspection I have always been able to find at least one defect. But these last two cars are absolute perfection and the paint is deeper and more glorious than ever. Clearly Tesla has made strides here.

I have always been a person to "never sweat the small stuff". I have never previously inspected a new purchased car.
Maybe I did a quick walk around . . . .listened to the salesman tell me how the radio worked and off I went. I had never heard of panel gaps.

But with my Model Y purchase last December, I was ready !!!
I checked for panel gaps . . .opened trunk and frunk . . .checked the paint . . .door alignment . . . .interior door panels . . . touch screen . . etc.
I wanted to find something . . . my delivery advisor was patient.
I found nothing. The car was perfect.

My 2021 Model Y with 18,000 miles on it has been absolutely perfect. No problems with customer service in Denver. I have no idea what your talking about. I would say that I'm in the silent majority, not the select few that vent on internet forums.
Perhaps it's an issue with our larger sample size?

While I'm thrilled you've had an excellent example of the Model Y, perhaps your lack of service visits leads to "no problems with customer service in Denver."

Since 2013 we've owned over a dozen MS's and have far, far too much experience bonding with various service centers over broken MS's, to include two refreshes with major issues (MS LR with a blown front motor inverter leading to my wife being left stranded at the side of the road, and a Plaid with a blown out half-shaft and squeak and rattle issues that were "fixed" with, and I am not kidding, duct tape on the seat back latch strikers . . . ).

The impact on TSLA is that over the long-term, Tesla Quality MUST improve if only for reputational considerations. In the long term it's not legacy OEM's that pose a threat to Tesla's dominance, but the rise of some smart Chinese brand with both very high quality and a lower price point.

Either some people think they know something or they are taking a massive bet on us getting a big rise this week?

Options open interest for this Friday's $800 strike calls was even with other strikes at around 4,500 yesterday. Now they've shot up to over 23,000! After last Friday's Bear raid with Puts, what's next for this Friday? Cancelled Twitter deal, Investment Grade, Split details or just someone prepared to lose $1M??

View attachment 808129
Somebody is making a bet that Elon walks away from Twitter on Wednesday.

I'm on my second Tesla since early 2013. Neither car has had any particular problems. Quality is just as good as any other car I've had for the past fifty years (and some were far worse). The worst customer service I've had from Tesla I would describe as average. Most has been much better than average. Just like every car, some will have issues (either with the car or with the service), this is not unique to Tesla. About the complaints in this and other forums: Typically if a person is upset about something they post many times in many places, so one complaint looks like a dozen. Also there are some who post complaints but have never owned a Tesla. No idea what the percentage might be. There are also some who purchase the car expecting it to be a panacea--in the end it's a car, a good car, but still a car.

My 2018 model 3 has 67,000 miles on it and I've only changed the tires nothing else it runs like the day I picked it up

I'm going to pick up my brand new model y later this week so then I will be all Tesla.

FUD or not?
I clicked on the article (reluctantly) and its source is a German article, but does not link to the actual issues being seen or the report. Maybe a German who lives in Germany can find the actual data? I'll wait for the actual data to form an opinion.

As a guess, I'd suspect that the actual data would show that these 'issues' being found are innocuous as Tesla's warranty costs have been declining overtime and if someone rolled into the inspection not knowing they had these issues, how bad could they be? and these Tesla's are still under warranty as well so maybe the owner hasn't done due diligence in getting them fixed?