Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another reason for some optimism near the bottom:

In my opinion, a growing percentage of that pent-up demand will go to Tesla.

for the eternal debate on starlink in a Tesla. Someone deconscructed a dishy and suction cup mounted it in the car.

View attachment 808340

View attachment 808341
View attachment 808342

FTesg96UAAAUW0h
Ouch, I could only imagine the resulting head trauma in an accident.

Reactions: JRP3

Democrats Aren't ‘Musk Fans’ But They Sure Do Like His Cars​

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez wants to sell her Tesla. Ted Cruz is considering buying one.

Driving an electric car manufactured by Elon Musk’s company is an increasingly loaded decision for lawmakers. Stepping out of one in the Capitol Hill parking lot can be a signal of support for renewable energy — but with Musk's dive into partisanship, it also can be a political symbol.

The Tesla Inc. chief executive officer has recently delighted Republicans by announcing his backing of the GOP and unleashing a stream of criticism of Democrats, unions and what he calls the “woke mind virus.”

“He’s a billionaire. I could care less what he thinks,” Ocasio-Cortez, a progressive Democrat who recently had a Twitter dustup with Musk, said when asked about his support for the GOP.

Ocasio-Cortez bought her Model 3 to travel between Washington and her Bronx-Queens district after Covid-19 hit in 2020. Now, the New York representative wants to ditch it for an electric vehicle made by unionized workers.“At the time, it was the only EV that could get me from New York to Washington on like one, or one-and-a-half charges,” she said. “I would love to switch.”

Texas Republican Senator Cruz, who represents the state most identified with the fossil-fuel industry, welcomes Musk to the Republican Party, and has called his planned acquisition of Twitter Inc. “the most important development for free speech in decades.” He’s ecstatic that Musk has become a Texan to boot.

“When Elon moved to Texas, I spent 45 minutes on the phone with him, urging him to come to Texas and saying, ‘Look, we like jobs in Texas, we don’t want you to shut down, we want you to come here and hire a bunch of Texans,’” Cruz said. In addition to Tesla’s Gigafactory and headquarters in Texas, Musk’s SpaceX has a launch site near the Texas-Mexico border town of Boca Chica.

While there isn’t a full accounting of how many federal lawmakers own Teslas, at least 10 representatives or senators have them, according to a tally by Bloomberg News. Many of the members of what might be called the Tesla caucus are those that might be expected to have interest in a zero-emission car, such as Green New Deal co-author Ocasio-Cortez and Senate Environment and Public Works Committee Chair Tom Carper.

But not all of their Tesla-driving peers fit that profile. Republican Representative Thomas Massie of Kentucky is likely the only Tesla Model S driver in Congress with a “Friends of Coal” license plate. Massie was one of the first Tesla converts in Congress, taking delivery in January 2013 after a lengthy wait.

There are other interesting quotes in there. Worth a read.

Makes sense. I think MM's used Musk's tax selling binge to clear any naked short position and then got another gift when he sold to fund Twitter. So if you were the House, what would be your next move?

You want to accumulate QQQ, so you beat the whole market down as low as possible. Having extra float in the market and an empty ledger means TONS more room for fresh naked shorting, and the volume was so low it didn't even take much.

I also think "they" are definitely angling to run over retail put option sellers just like they did in Jan/Feb. They want these people crushed and out of their market.

Now we see call option volume increasing on QQQ a LOT while share prices continue to plummet. MM's are squeezing retail while their hedge fund customers are buying calls. Best part is that sometimes it's the same person on both ends.

So what's next? Clearly you steamroll the covered-call sellers to take their shares. Just look at the "other thread". Tons of talk about selling CC's at $700 and $750. Responsible traders can roll out of the path of this freight train, but how many traders are that responsible....half?

I sell a lot of covered calls, and this is the exact time to not sell them or only sell WAY up the chain for pennies (like 850-900++). We don't know when a bounce will happen, but when it does, Tesla is very likely to gamma squeeze. Which will create a lot of short term upward pressure that could fly beyond the calls and then you have to roll and roll and roll to get from underneath them. Along with that, the premiums suck right now. Lots of risk, for not much reward. Wait until you can get $2-3 per contract 20% up the chain and $4-5 15% up. Right now with it being ~50 cents, a simple turn could have you underwater in a flash.

This is the time to be buying longer term calls, not selling. Sell when the stock returns to 950-1000.

Short interest in the Nasdaq is up 1.2% in Mid-may over late April.

In summary, short interest in all 5,450 Nasdaq® securities totaled 13,076,312,636 shares at the May 13, 2022 settlement date, compared with 5,475 issues and 12,925,761,962 shares at the end of the previous reporting period. This is 2.43 days average daily volume, compared with an average of 2.71 days for the prior reporting period.

Here's TSLA short interest going back to the beginning of the year. It's up about 8% in mid-May over April.

1653430875587.png

Last edited:
I mean it's getting blatantly obvious that they will not stop selling TSLA down until Elon scuttles the Bird acquisition. That is their goal. If they have to sell us down to zero, that is what they will do. I don't know how this kind of activity is an example of a free and fair open market but we all know the purpose of the Shortseller Enrichment Commission is to enrich shortsellers and also Elon is an enemy of the SEC so they will double down on doing nothing while illegal market manipulation takes place. Nothing we can do about it except hold the line. It ain't over until Elon says it's over!

I mean it's getting blatantly obvious that they will not stop selling TSLA down until Elon scuttles the Bird acquisition. That is their goal. If they have to sell us down to zero, that is what they will do. I don't know how this kind of activity is an example of a free and fair open market but we all know the purpose of the Shortseller Enrichment Commission is to enrich shortsellers and also Elon is an enemy of the SEC so they will double down on doing nothing while illegal market manipulation takes place. Nothing we can do about it except hold the line. It ain't over until Elon says it's over!
Hedge funds saw an opportunity to pounce and they did. Makes it easier when the SEC and MM's treat them as customers.

It was a little too bold to try and buy a $54B company.... personally......with cash....during Fed tightening. These guys saw an opportunity to crash the whole tech sector and took it.

It'll pass. Elon called timeout and can simply sit as long as he likes til the environment gets better. Maybe TSLA 2Q does the trick, if not then certainly the strength of 3Q will give him enough momentum to move forward if he wants.

I don't seem him straight up letting this go anytime soon. He'll keep printing money knowing that let's him do whatever he wants.

Well - Elon taking a tougher stance seems to pay off

" .. ...
  • Judge's remarks in 2019 knocked SEC's confidence court would back them
  • Core issue - what is "material" information - was left to Musk and Tesla to decide
  • As some tweets went unvetted, SEC opted to urge Musk to comply, rather than go to court
  • SEC was also uneasy about risk of starting litigation given Musk's resources
WASHINGTON, May 24 (Reuters) - U.S. securities regulators have pulled their punches in dealings with Elon Musk largely because an April 2019 court hearing on a statement he made about Tesla on Twitter didn't go their way, according to four sources with knowledge of the matter.

The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) asked the court to hold the billionaire in contempt, saying a tweet by the Tesla Inc. (TSLA.O) CEO - which forecast production at the carmaker - violated a court agreement Musk signed the previous year to have some of his communications vetted by a lawyer.

By trying to rein in his comments, the SEC was veering into relatively uncharted territory. SEC rules require that public companies and their executives disclose accurate information that may be material to investors via channels that investors know to monitor. It doesn't usually specify how companies should do that.

But the 2019 remarks by judge Alison Nathan – who found the terms of the agreement between Musk and the SEC to be "soft" and urged them to reach an understanding – knocked confidence among officials overseeing the case that the courts would support them if they attempted to prosecute his activity on Twitter (TWTR.N), the four sources said.

Interviews with individuals familiar with the situation – as well as a review of court documents, SEC and Tesla emails obtained by the media through a public records request – showed that in the wake of Nathan's comments, SEC officials opted to urge Musk to comply with the agreement, rather than pursuing enforcement through the courts.

Spokespeople for the SEC declined to comment on its enforcement dealings with Musk. Spokespeople for Tesla and Twitter and a representative for Judge Nathan did not respond to requests for comment for this story.

Musk's attorney, Alex Spiro, did not respond to requests for comment on the SEC's deliberations, but court records and Tesla emails show he and other lawyers for the Tesla boss dispute that Musk's tweets violated the agreement.

With Musk's use of social media under scrutiny after he bid to purchase Twitter, the interviews and documents shed light on the regulator's view of its relationship with the billionaire, now the world's richest man. He has 95 million Twitter followers and called the SEC "bastards" in an interview in April "

We have today *finally* touched the -50% threshold:
The 'chart gods' have received their pound of flesh. Now let that cat bounce! ;)
OK, but can we have a live cat* instead of a dead one, please ?

* 'cause a live one can jump much higher than a dead one can bounce

Last edited:
Well that sucks. Rare shift - DOWN - for TSLA. Berkshire Hathaway now worth more.

May THIS be short lived. Myself and others are predicting TSLA will be the most valuable company in the world sometime in 2023.

Bullish.
HODL.

1653432856593.png

Well that sucks. Rare shift - DOWN - for TSLA. Berkshire Hathaway now worth more.

May THIS be short lived. Myself and others are predicting TSLA will be the most valuable company in the world sometime in 2023.

Bullish.
HODL.

View attachment 808369
If the temporary top 6 are smart they'll peg their stock to teslas by purchasing Tesla shares and forever prevent Tesla from moving up in the rankings. 😂

NO NO NO!

Am I the only one here that actually READS the SEC filings? Musk has sold all he needs to. He even went and lined up additional funding so he doesn't have to get a share-backed loan.

Stop spreading this FUD!

The details on the additional funding
Have you seen the list of backers? These are all people and companies that have backed Musk previously (Ellison, some VC firms, etc.). I'm sure they would be happy with a lower price, but I'm also certain that they were perfectly fine at $54 or they would not have committed.

Also, the "planned" sales comment was before he even went out and got these backers.

The full agreements typically have clauses that allow the other investors to back out if the agreed upon deal changes. Even if it is “for the better.”

• Helpful
Reactions: Drax7
After the shareholder vote, Elon can formally start the process of re-negotiating or walking away. We should start to have clarity as soon as Wednesday after tabulated, but definitely Thursday.